TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Chatting TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Avenger

9 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  03:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have so many ideas about TMS and so many things to say, but I always felt forums are a weak medium to use for that cause. Sure, I believe forums are good for logical arguments, presenting your points and backing them up, etc. But I'm interested in a chat room in addition to this forum, I believe\hope it will be more supportive (cause it's real time) and highly engaging.

Now, what do you say?

Mean time I opened a chat room, you can try it and see if you like it, download mIRC from here: www.mirc.com
just type in the status window:
//server irc.efnet.net
and then:
//join #TMS

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  05:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Avenger! I haven't used mirc for a long time, but I still remember the good old mirc days ... /me slaps operator and awaits +b :)

I agree that a chatroom would be a nice addition to complement the forum, but we should be careful as to not shift focus away from it. If older and useful discussions took place in the chatroom, they wouldn't be very useful to new members now if they want to search the forum. I'm willing to give it a try because I have access to the internet when I work, but I'm not sure if the small size of active members and the timezone that seperates them will make it a busy chatroom! It might be very lonely in there! Perhaps we could add each other's MSN or use some form of Instant Messaging? That could also be another way to have a real-time discussion and perhaps we could decide on a convenient time for everyone to get on a chatroom.

Also, if some people have difficulty downloading mirc and connect to a server, etc there are easier solutions. Or ajax chat solutions like this http://www.chatcreator.com/chatbox/chat.php?id=11365

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  09:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a glimmering of what you guys are talking about but it does sound interesting. For some of us who are internet dinosaurs or Luddites could you kindly explain how a "chat room" differs from a "forum"? I got this p.o.s computer thing solely to access this board and must admit I'm seeing some benefits to computers but just about as many negatives such as the Tower of Babel effect, but I'm willing to learn. Kindly explain.
Go to Top of Page

Redsandro

Netherlands
217 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  10:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Internet Relay Chat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat) is probably the oldest chatting service there is.

People connect to a certain 'channel' on a server. All connected people can enter text which is immediately visible to all others. The big advantage is that I can immediately respond to what you say, making it real time like a phone call but with text. Major disadvantage is that only people who are connected and paying attention see what the others say.

Edited by - Redsandro on 11/15/2006 10:19:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000