TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How do you cope with sleep problems?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phyllis

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  03:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

I am just wondering how people cope with sleep problems.

My problems stem from when I was little and used to be locked in my bedroom. I was with foster parents who were people from Hell. I am consequently claustrophobic and am not a happy bunny at night anyway.

I sleep heavily for about four to five hours and then wake up, often at about 3.00. This happened this morning. I then lie there fretting and feeling angry at the world. I don't show this anger too much in the day. I notice today that my back and shoulders are stiff. Even if I go swimming, I still do the four hours bit and then wake up.

Last week I started sleepwalking again and my husband found me trying to get in the wardrobe! Yes, I can laugh at myself, because I am funny with it. I have woken up in the past clawing at the wall at the back of the bed looking for a way out. I often dream about being locked up somewhere. I never use lifts.

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  16:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I have similar sleep problems and from a similar source. Here's what works for me:

1. Before bed, tell myself I will wake up just as the bad dreams start. Interrupting helps a lot. It took a few days to start doing this reliably.

2. If/when I wake up, I quickly turn on the tv, snuggle down and watch something interesting as I gradually drift back to sleep. Don't worry about how long this takes. I've found that THIS VERY RELAXED STATE IS JUST AS GOOD AS SLEEP.

Keeping an enjoyable dvd handy might be a good idea. It needs to be on an interesting topic but not very stimulating (I listen to Fox News, on low so I can't quite hear all the words, but obviously that wouldn't work for everyone!).

If you don't or can't have a tv and dvd player in your room, you might find that a cd player with earphones works just as well. I find tv's brightness helps but I have my own room. The cd player works if I have to share with someone. If possibly get your own room! It's lovely. My husband moved across the hall after several years of night terrors. We both sleep better now.

Be comfy in your bed: DISTRACT. SNUGGLE. REST. ENJOY.

3. If I'm going through a bad spell (high stress at work, etc.), I go to sleep with the tv on. I find I wake up at about 3 a.m. to turn it off and then usually sleep peacefully the rest of the night.

4. I don't use sleeping pills or tranquilizers often but DO keep a few on hand. Then I know I can nuke any bad spells of poor sleep (before that I'd sometimes go weeks w/o a decent rest). Btw, antihistamines and anti-nausea otc remedies work just as well as prescriptions. Just don't use them regularly.

5. I accept my need to feel safe from "monsters". I have a good alarm system and a room that would be difficult to break into. I also keep bear spray handy. Once armed, the next step is to REFUSE to worry about break ins or attacks. Use thought stopping techniques.

6. Meditation also helps. I like the kind where you "find God" is "stillness between thoughts". You and I both know that "**** happens" and we won't always be protected but I do feel comforted when I "let go and let God".

That's about it. All the best in your quest for peaceful nights.
-
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  18:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno would probably recommend short-term dynamic-analytical psychotherapy, either group or one-on-one with one of his TMS trained psychotherapists.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  22:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote Cheeryqueery:

"I listen to Fox News..."

I thought I was the only one who listened to FOX NEWS around here.

tt
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  00:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After years of sleep problems that were not helped by prescription sleep meds, I found a couple of supplements that help. I did try the OTC Benadryl, which worked for a while, but then it suddenly began to have the opposite effect and kept me awake--wired feeling, like I'd had a couple of pots of coffee. Actually the prescription med called Sonata had the same effect.

The supplement that works best for me is called 5HTP. It helps me fall asleep, and if I wake up, which I always do thanks to my obnoxious bladder, I can fall right back to sleep. I have to play with the dose from time to time. I started with 50 mg., but sometimes I need 100 to get through the whole night. Depends whether I have anything stimulating during the day, like caffeine or ginseng.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  01:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insomnia has been my TMS number one symptom. But as you mentioned phyllis "I then lie there fretting and feeling angry at the world. " and this, in my opinion, is the problem, no one died of lack of sleep. It's the lying awake getting anxious and stressed that make you feel bad the next day, then a vicious circle starts where you worry about not sleeping which makes you sleep even less etc etc.
I still wake about 4am and feel wound up about something but now just lie and it passes, takes maybe an hour, or lie and mull over the problem but, again, the feelings pass, then I think nice thoughts and hope to sleep.

Gregg Jacobs' book Say Goodnight to Insomnia has useful tips. Do all the usual TMS stuff like journalling. Take exercise. Don't scan the web for a magic cure - if one comes along we'll soon hear about it. Follow cheeryquery's advice and be aware that it's probably a distraction from something else.

Anne
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also was plagued by sleep problems for a long time, mostly brought on by a combination of 1) the self-induced pressure of HAVING to be somewhere or do something the next day, and 2) worrying about not being able to sleep. I never had trouble sleeping on weekends or vacations. Don't take this the wrong way - but in my case the sleep problems always went away when I received a real problem to worry about (I would happily trade my current one for a little insomnia, maybe? No problem is ever as big as the one you have right now). I never did come up with a solution per se, it just took care of itself when other worries grabbed my attention.

In the same spirit that people get painkillers to get through acute low back stuff, I found that amitriptyline - a "mild" antidepressant -alleviated my insomnia during that period. I don't take it now.

Tom - I also watch some Fox news, in addition to watching Keith Olbermann. Guess that makes me "fair and balanced.".

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5htp not only didn't work for me but it made me extremely jumpy. Apparently, that happens to some people. It worked great for my husband when he was depressed, however.

TT, I turn on Fox because the combination of incessant verbiage and close to zero content distracts my brain w/o waking me up. If I watch during the day it's to keep up with the enemy. Other than that, great channel.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I think of TMS as a "spiritual" problem, in a way. If I could accept and trust that the universe is a friendly place (Einstein's big question) I'd be better off. But I can't.
Go to Top of Page

phyllis

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you all for advice. Maybe I shouldn't worry about worrying! I will take Walkman to bed and listen to the World Service or music.

Like you say, no one died of lack of sleep

Best wishes to all!
Go to Top of Page

pault

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  05:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fox News also. Paul.
Go to Top of Page

MikeJ

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  05:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
1) the self-induced pressure of HAVING to be somewhere or do something the next day

I can confirm this works. I NEVER had any trouble making sure I get enough sleep and wake up early if I have a plane to catch! :) I think the trick is to have a compelling reason to wake up energized.

Edited by - MikeJ on 11/09/2006 05:09:59
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  08:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pault

Fox News also. Paul.

Mega dittos

varoom...varoom
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  09:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My first attempt at using the quote feature - but this comment hit home with me in so many ways. I truly envy people who see the universe as a friendly place. While life has its moments of bliss survival is fundamentally a pretty ugly business. I definitely have a mindset of constantly "waiting for the other shoe to drop." I don't see this discussed much in the TMS books but it sure seems to be a part of my personality profile. But I had never realized it until I saw this posting.

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  09:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dunno about the rest of you, but I think of TMS as a "spiritual" problem, in a way. If I could accept and trust that the universe is a friendly place (Einstein's big question) I'd be better off. But I can't.

Didn't work the first time, here's another try.

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all have the power to make a universe in our heads of our own choosing--that's not to say that on occasion outside issues may come knockin' on the door.
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  14:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weatherman, it's a big problem. For me, it's like I have two distinct takes on so-called reality. One is the "dog eat dog" physical world in which it is only a matter of time before something big, with teeth, gets you.

The other is the spiritual world in which we are able to cope with the physical by transcending it. A religous person might say "I turn to God (or Allah)" while an atheist could say "my human intellect sustains me". It seems to me they are speaking of the same thing according to their own understanding of the universe.

If we can truly face life, courageously refusing to cower and pretend, then we will not need defenses like TMS. Tall order.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  20:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're serious about working on your insomnia, do read "Say Goodnight to Insomnia".
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  20:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread has me realizing that insomnia is an awful lot like TMS. I mentioned that my past insomnia problems were often brought on by worrying about sleep, performing the next day etc. And indeed, there are several books about it - I have a couple. Their advice about sleep "hygiene", stimulants etc. is definitely true if you are having insomnia problems. But on the other hand, if I'm on vacation or otherwise relaxed I can be up drinking coffee until 2AM, fall asleep in 5 minutes and sleep all night.

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000