TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Shudder reflex
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floorten

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  13:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone encountered an involuntary shudder reflex as their TMS symptoms heal? Let me explain...

Yesterday I had a bad TMS episode. My headaches (my primary symptom) flared up terribly after a night of drinking previously. I knew however that this was no genuine hangover. It got worse as the day progressed not better and was massively disproportional to the amount of alcohol I actually drank. Clearly this was just my subconscious using a hangover as a guise.

So I got mad at it, and went over and over again that this headache was TMS, and lay awake in my bed at night, unable to sleep from its intensity.

I don't think I slept that whole night, but waves of sudden shudders would come over me. It was like being shocked with electricity. My whole body would suddenly convulse, in a quite violent manner. I felt like it was something being done to me, rather than something I was voluntarily doing. However I also felt that I would have the power to vito this happening, if I got up and chose not to experience the shudders.

Afterwards, it would feel like there was a shift in the quality of my symptoms. Hard to describe but my symptoms eased off with each progressive round of shudders, over the period of a few hours, and were replaced with a tingling feeling, like you get when the blood flows back into a leg that's gone dead from sitting on it awkwardly. Only this tingling was a bit subtler and has persisted the whole day.

It reminded me very much of a book that I'd read a while back called "Waking the Tiger". The writer's theory was that animals never suffer internalised stress symptoms because they have this mechanism of "shaking off" the state of fight-or-flight.

When an animal plays dead and their autonomic nervous system shuts down, after its safe, they can be observed to convulse and shake, prior to resuming normal activity. It's almost as if they're shaking the stress mode off.

The writer says he'd observed similar things happen on rare occassions in humans, but often this natural healing response would be thwarted by our intention, and our autonomic nervous system would get stuck in high-gear, a la Brady's AOS theory.

What I experienced last night seems to fit that description quite well. My symptoms feel better today and have a more "alive" quality to the muscles involved.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing while healing?

--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."
Robert Anton Wilson

Edited by - floorten on 10/26/2006 13:50:15

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  10:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the tingling experience you describe. I interpret it as an increase in bloodflow. I'm guessing it's milder than the "waking up after falling asleep" feeling because the area hasn't actually been asleep.

I also do have whole-body things that are kind of like the shudders. It started after I saw a network chiropractor about 18 months ago. It was part of the normal reaction to her treatment (which was mainly a manipulation of energy fields...YMMV). She said it was the body's own way of doing an adjustment on itself, and that the desired endpoint was for it to occur spontaneously as needed. It still sometimes happens to me and it feels good. I can stop it if I want, but its occurrence isn't volitional.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

Edited by - armchairlinguist on 10/27/2006 10:58:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000