TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Is worsened pain common with a new TMS dx?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JaneLeslie

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I was diagnosed with TMS (I have had fibro. for over 20 years) about a month ago or a little more now. Ironically, I was going through a low-pain cycle at that time, but once the doctor told me he thought it was TMS I experienced intense anxiety for a few days (equivalent?) and then the pain went up with a vengeance!

I find this disheartening because I finally got (what I thought was)a hopeful diagnosis and now things appear to be getting worse! I have seen this type of thing mentioned briefly by Sarno and Brady but not at length.

Has this happened to any of you? I assume that my UCS brain is fighting like Hell to keep me from "smoking-out" TMS (?) Is this a form of resistance? How do I get around it? I am doing the TMS protocol, journalling, etc. but I am not getting much of a pain break at this point. I now have back pain/stiffness all the time.

Any ideas? Did this happen to you in the beginning?

Thanks to all of you!

Jane

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I read the books and then my anxiety level spiked pretty bad and the pain although it did stop in the "original" pain site has moved and is causing me other issues now. It's just been a short time and I am still dealing with the increased level of it all.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I got very bad jaw pain when I got my TMS diagnosis from my therapist.

Hang in there and don't be disheartened. It is your brain trying to convince you that you don't have TMS, because it does not want to let go of the deception and let you be aware of the painful feelings inside.
It may help to remind yourself that the pain is harmless. I find that one of the most surprising and reassuring things about TMS.

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 10/10/2006 18:55:42
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  19:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jane,

If I've already mentioned the "Freedom From Fibromyalgia" book to you, then please excuse the repetition, but it does mention that setbacks can be part of the process. While I really love "The Divided Mind" I did get some additional points out of the fibro book. It goes into more detail on journaling that I found helpful. It mentions that journaling should focus on the emotions, never on the physical symptoms. I think maybe Dr. Sarno also says that about journaling, but I'd forgotten it.

I've been having ups and downs, but I feel like reading this forum is a big help in keeping the TMS thinking fresh in my mind. I think that really getting rid of all the fibro symptoms will probably come from really digging into my search for emotions through the journal. Not that I expect to bring all the unconscious stuff to the surface, but I need to reach that acceptance that anger and emotional pain has led to the physical pain.

Don't give up! I'm sure you'll break through this resistance your brain is throwing at you.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

Brit with TMS

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  02:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I can relate to your story.I think many who use this Forum can too. Perhaps someone can explain journalling to me? I have read the "Healing Back Pain" book only and it is not in there. I think the concept of journalling sounds interesting.
Go to Top of Page

neilo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  04:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
This is a little off topic but
as a fellow brit TMSr i am surprised you found a Dr that has heard of TMS! Youve gone one better still and had a TMS diagnosis.
Is this a regular Dr you saw ?

Thanks

nm
Go to Top of Page

Brit with TMS

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  07:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Neilo

I do not know of any UK doctors treating/assisting TMS. I have only read Sarno's book. Sorry
Go to Top of Page

JaneLeslie

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  14:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all who responded. It makes me feel a lot better! My BIG fear now is that even though I know this is a psychosomatic illness I am afraid that I can't fix it!

Brit--the journalling I speak of is discussed in Brady's book and Selfridge's book. Both authors were diagnosed with fibro. which is what I have. I think Sarno talks about "making lists", but the journalling is more intense than list-making and one spends time digging into each issue. I found Brady more understandable in his use of depth-journalling but lots of people use Selfridge.

That is an interesting point from painintheneck. My symptoms intensified after the diagnosis but in a different site! The TMS must think it is doing a good camouflage job! Maybe it is!

This is a ridiculous ailment that seems to have a mind of it's own. I can't wait to get rid of it! I hope that is possible.

Keep writing!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  18:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane, I'm glad you mentioned that you found Brady's journaling info more understandable than Selfridge's. I bought the Brady book but haven't got to start it yet, so now I'm looking forward to it even more.

Your statement about knowing that this is psychosomatic but being afraid that you can't fix it really hits home for me. I've always believed that my emotional stress/anxiety/anger/sorrow triggered the fibro, but thought I'd have to eliminate all those feelings to get better. When I had a brief period of relative calm and didn't get better it really made me feel there would never be hope. But I am seeing improvement in some areas now, thanks to the books and this forum. I think it's possible to overcome it, but finding the key that works for each individual is the challenge.

I also can't wait to feel normal again. Whatever normal will feel like--after close to 19 years of feeling like an 80 year old woman, I have no idea what is normal for my age (almost 50), but I don't think I can expect it to be as energetic as I was at 30, just before I got sick.

What I'd really like to learn about from some of the people who've had success is how they deal with any ongoing relationships that have contributed to the repressed emotions. I remember that you mentioned on another thread that being empathetic and in tune to others' emotions may be a big part of this for some of us. That fits me. I have to find a better balance.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  10:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey, I have no personal experience about aging, but my 60- and 55-year-old parents are both starting major new endeavors and my dad walks 40 min to and from work every day, rides his bike with his friends on weekends, and sometimes plays racquetball etc. I can hardly keep up with him! Don't limit yourself too much because you are worried about age changes. Just keep believing you can do the things you want to do. :-)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000