TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Does sub-conscious create DREAMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuLLady244

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  22:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If sub-conscious creates DREAMs and sub-conscious is primitive HOW come dreams are so clear and how come at times with enough focus I can control the dream?

Dr. Sarno talks in his book about using dreams to heal, the whole primitive thing has me confused because the dreaming capability is so sophisticated..

Anyone have any insight to this?

MuLLady

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the unconscious primitive? I think of it more as PRIMAL than primitive. It houses our very important needs and desires, the parts of us that are vital and powerful (and thus sometimes scary). It also houses anything we don't express in our conscious lives. I think primitive in this case refers to needs and desires that are in the primitive parts of the brain, rather than our thinking which goes on in the cortex.

I think both the unconscious and the conscious participate in dreaming. People who can "lucid dream", like you, with a lot of clarity and control, have more of their conscious mind involved. People who can't, perhaps more of the dreaming is from the unconscious. The most aware I can be in a dream is to know that yes, I am having a dream. Usually my dreams are strange and fragmentary and I only realize I'm dreaming once I wake up. When I know that I'm dreaming, I think more of my conscious mind is involved. I had an experience the other night where I was dreaming along and once I became aware of the dream, my morality entered it and the nature of it changed. But I didn't change it on purpose -- I'm not able to do that. And certainly the rest of the dream was created by my unconscious. It dealt with some powerful and not fully resolved feelings that for someone I was involved with in the past. My conscious mind is pretty much over those feelings, but the unconscious isn't, apparently.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  14:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a chapter on dreaming in Dr. Selfridge's book. It's a book about TMS being manifested in the form of Fibromyalgia, but I've mentioned on other threads that much of it pertains to TMS in any form.

The book quotes another book authored by a biochemist because that book, "Molecules of Emotion" goes into some detail about dreaming. The biochemist says that dreaming involves "an unbelievable number of electrical and chemical processes." It describes dreaming as being part of a process in which the body and mind exchange information in order to return circuits and chemical processes to optimal condition and that emotions that haven't been processed thoroughly come through to the conscious during this process. It has suggestions for figuring out which emotional events are the source of the dreams we have.

I'm not sure exactly what your concept of the primitive subconcious is, but I know that brain research has really made a lot of progress in recent years and they say that the research is still just scratching the surface of understanding how the brain and its various sections really work. Some of the concepts many of us may have learned in the past about brain function have been updated with new understanding.

What I've read fits with what ACL had to say about the needs and desires that we don't express and may not be aware of in our conscious lives. Her comment about both the unconsious and the conscious participating in dreaming also fits the more recent understanding that different parts of the brain are exchanging information and working together more than science previously believed.

Probably the bottom line at this point is that even if science can't yet tell us just how our brains/minds work, we do know that sometimes our dreams involve emotions from our conscious lives, so making an effort to figure out the source of emotions that show up in our dreams can help us to release the anger and sorrow that's been repressed.

I haven't read any dream analysis books, because I think the images and events are totally personal and an image that means one thing to me would mean something totally different to someone else.
Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  13:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I haven't read any dream analysis books, because I think the images and events are totally personal and an image that means one thing to me would mean something totally different to someone else.

I agree totally with this. I am reading a fascinating book on dreaming called Dreaming Reality" by Joe Griffin and Ivan Tyrrell.

Tunza
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000