TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What could it be?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aklein

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  12:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I'm a new member who was given some information about TMS from a friend. For the last 5 years, I've been experiencing various injuries (ever since a serious car accident). I'm a runner, and quite addicted, so as you can imagine, this is so frustrating! It started right after the accident with a back that didn't allow me to run for two years. My rolfer finally fixed that one. I ran great for two years, then the injuries started coming, all when I feel like I'm in pretty peak shape. 2 years ago was a stress fracture in my right foot, last year it was shin splints on my left shin, and now this year my hip randomly started hurting after a race in June, and has not allowed me to run since. I went through a bit of a depression during each of the injuries since I couldn't run anymore. This year seemed to be the worst mentally, I think because the injuries are happening so often. I'm really starting to wonder what is causing these (I rarely had injuries in my life long running career). And why does it take them so long to go away?? My hip should be fine by now! Any ideas??

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  16:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi aklein,

have you reexamined your emotional state of late? and are you still doing the journalling, and rereading the books?

after my main chronic pain subsided after reading sarno, i went back to all the activities i had been dying to do. i took up taekwondo, which i've been wanting to for the last 8-9 years. i found that i was getting injured very easily. a few weeks ago, i sprained my knee, and i was in an agony of indecision, should i continue with the pain, or miss classes, which i REALLY didnt want to do. one night, frustrated by my dilemna, i reread sarno's mindbody prescription. firstly, i reaqlized, that i had a lot of stress related to taekwondo, even though i love it. secondly, i had a lot of conditioned fear: 'oh all that kicking and pivoting, it must be bad for my knees'. in the next few days i reread sarno over and over, and thoughts occured to me like...why aren;t other people who do the same things getting injured as easily...my body is strong, it'll heal and so forth. thought the pain didn;t just disappear afetr reading sarno and thinking all this, there would be times, when the worry would just be gone from my mind and the knee felt pretty fine. of course, every time i went to class, it would feel worse later. i just told my self...ok, either this is just conditioning, or maybe the knee is still really sore, either way, it'll heal...maybe it'll take a little longer, since you insist on going to class, but my body is strong and can take it. and indeed...its been fading away, to the extent that in yesterdays class, i almost didn;t notice anything. its another story, that in the last 10 minutes of class yesterday, somebody jammed my toe, and the nurse tells me it might be a fracture....very frustrating!

sarno says, the onset of pain is often timed to coincide with physical activity, the more vigorous, the better to fool us.

Edited by - ndb on 10/06/2006 17:15:11
Go to Top of Page

aklein

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  17:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definetely think sometimes that this has got to be in my head, that I have conditioned myself to feel this pain! And I know i have the fear of not being able to run again. Every time I run, or even walk, i'm constantly thinking about, ok, how does my hip feel on this step, etc. Sometimes I feel like I can will the pain away by trying to ignore it, but often it is sore afterwards.
I've often gotten so frustrated because i see so many people around me who are extremely active (running 70 miles/wk, etc), and i can't understand why i get to the point of running 30 a week, and i get injured. what do i do differently from them??
i only read the book once, to be honest. it was loaned by a friend. i guess i'll have to look into buying it. i have been journaling, and besides the fear of not being able to run, i have been stressed about some things lately. and then i think, i wonder if it's left over guilt, etc from this car accident?
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  19:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aklein

i have been journaling, and besides the fear of not being able to run, i have been stressed about some things lately. and then i think, i wonder if it's left over guilt, etc from this car accident?

You're bringing up the right points...why doesn't it happen to others, your stress, the stress of an accident. Indeed,your hip would have healed if there was any physical damage to it by now. It must be repressed anger, at least partially. Try to feel your anger, helplessness, low self esteem, whatever feelings you have but think are too shaming or painful to experience. Someone on the board (I think Indy) suggested writing with your non-dominant hand while journalling. I tried it during my knee episode, and I think it helped bring out my childlike feelings of frustration and rage at not being able to be 'good enough' at sports, work, everything, I felt there wasn;t one thing in the world that I was above average good at, this made me very sad.

Also, try to avoid constantly thinking about the hip when running. I think we tend to do this because when we believe there is something structurally wrong, we are sort of trying to be careful with it, and also, wanting it to go away, so we keep checking on it. I think it will not do any harm, just for one session to assume that there is nothing wrong anymore, and just let go, and do the activity without checking. It might still feel sore afterwards, but thinking back, I feel that when I did this, it wasn't any more sore than it was on days when I did keep checking in it.

take care,
ndb

ps, definitely invest in the book.

Edited by - ndb on 10/06/2006 19:33:49
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  11:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AKLEIN-
I have the same feelings that you do concerning running. I have been running for 20 years but have had every injury in the book - constantly. I too am jealous of other people who can run and train and race and never get hurt and if they do , they are back on the roads in 6 weeks max.
i also obsess about my injuries but i am getting better about not doing that.

i call it the "runner's dilemma" = whether to run or not and to discern if the pain is real or not real.

goodl uck
hsb
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  22:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel real compassion for you runners who just can't seem to get it...I know how emotionally painful that agony of indecision can be....

I was constantly hurt as well and just assumed that I somehow had an injury prone, or inflammation prone, body.

If you're constantly hurt and your injuries are not healing in 6 weeks or so, chances are excellent it's TMS...

I simply run through my various aches and pains these days, some of which are fairly high up there on the pain meter...I've been doing this for over a year now (close to 2 years) and have yet to regret it...

One must at some point simply make a choice to either believe, or act as if you believe...It's a tragic waste of time in my opinion to stay stuck for months and years in the same indecisive rut...Life is short and I'm not going to miss one more run than I absolutely have to...

This stuff takes some courage in the final analysis...Wishing you the best...

P.S. Definitely read the book again. Once often won't be enough...

Edited by - art on 10/07/2006 22:50:30
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  11:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ndb,

Just wanted to say good for you on your progress with your knee and facing your issues related to TKD and I'm glad you're feeling better!

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

aklein

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  16:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've definetely thought about just running through it, but then I get scared that I'm just going to make it worse, and won't be able to run for longer. But, you're right, an actual injury would definetely be healed by now! I've been doing some cross training, and it's been ok (not 100%).
I've also kind of rethought my training pattern to include a lot more cross training and a lot less running. I think this will help (at least in my mind!) Good for you for just deciding that you were going to win, and push through it!
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ACL. And wouldn't you know it, now that I am fussing over my jammed toe, the last of my knee discomfort has dissappeared.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

aklein

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  19:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that's what I need....a different injury to take my mind off my pesky hip! (knock on wood please)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000