TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 When Your Thoughts Get in The Way
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  19:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is pertinent, I think, to TMS-ers: What do you do when you backtrack mentally, eg the occasional doubts about TMS, thinking physically instead of psychologically?

This has been an issue for me lately. The reason? I still have a symptom that will simply not go away; the leg/butt tight-soreness that I've had for almost a year. I had the same thing almost five yrs ago and it lasted for many months and then disappeared for good. This time, it's hanging around. It doesn't really interfere with anything I do, running or whatever, but it's bothersome that it's still around. Many days it is gone only to reappear. Sometimes I think a long run will bring it on, but I'm not sure because sometimes running makes it better. It's not the phsical part of it that bothers me, but the background worry. I guess deep down my hypochondria fears warn me it is something serious. Even though last time it went away for a few years.

I HAVE made much progress in general. Most of the other symptoms I had over the past yr are either gone or visit only occasionally and mildly. One technique I have been using that I think has been pretty effective is "thought-stopping." I've gotten into the habit of carrying a rubberband on my wrist and then whenever I start to focus too much on physical symptoms, I snap it and shout "Stop!" to myself. This has worked for everything except for the leg/butt symptom. When that one is symptomatic I have a hard time tuning it out, not worrying about it, espec the longer it drags on.

I journal nearly every day, experimenting with various themes of early childhood, current stressor--whatever I can think of. Actually, this is nothing new, the journaling, except that now I have a definite purpose in mind.

What also seems to help is reading a Sarno book. While I'm reading it I feel hopeful and my belief is strong. That wears off if I am away from these ideas for awhile.

Anyone have any particularly effective attention-getters? I need some strong medicine, maybe something stronger than what I've been using.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000