TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Psychodynamic Therapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  11:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been lucky enough to locate a practicioner in my small town who uses this method. I have my first appointment today and will see if I click with her and if the method is appropriate for me. I have had lots of success with using TMS methods as a preventivie lately and it has helped with a summer long bout of foot pain (metatarsalgia?) I am thinking of using the therapy to dig down into the roots of my personality and find the issues that lead to unease, problematiac childhood issues, and TMS personality traits.

There are quite a few good threads here that deal with many of the issues that I have been thinking about lately and have been a great help in formulating my thoughts. Something else that is helping includes, journaling as I read the Dr. Sarno's books, just jotting down ideas, thoughts, reactions as I read along. It has almost been so helpful that I'm questioning whether or not I really need the therapy.

My question right now is my medical insurance covers some Mental Health Care but I wonder what diagnosis would be chosen for the coverage? I can't really put my finger on a disorder per se. I wonder if some sort of anxiety disorder would fit the bill.

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  12:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kristin

My question right now is my medical insurance covers some Mental Health Care but I wonder what diagnosis would be chosen for the coverage? I can't really put my finger on a disorder per se. I wonder if some sort of anxiety disorder would fit the bill.

You could try "depression" that did the trick for me. Any illness usually has a depression component.

Insurance payments would be highly varied depending on your plan. Your therapist should have some answers for you in that regard or call the number on the back of your insurance card and they should be able to give you some info, (but don't always think that it's always the right info). You may need to get an MD to prescribe it also. In other words, I don't know, it varies a lot depending. You or your therapist will have to do some research.

If you have to pay for it out of pocket, there is an addage in psych that if you don't pay for it yourself it doesn't work. The more you pay the more you will be motivated to dig hard and the faster you will get "better".

Good Luck

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/02/2006 12:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  12:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have a 25 dollar deductible. I'll have to do a little mental trick and convince myself I've already "paid" for it with years of disfunction!

So were you able to go into therapy without the doc insisting on long term anti-depressants or any at all? In my phone conversation with this psychologist or psychiatrist, I told her about Sarno. She hadn't heard of him but took down his name. I'll take MBP and TDM with me if she wants to peruse them. The nature of psychodynamic therapy is not contradictory to TMS as far as I understand it. It would be nice if she was familiar with where I'm coming from or what I want to do.

Edited by - Kristin on 10/02/2006 12:38:43
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  18:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was given Lexapro and hated it. When I went up to two I had to go to the ER because I thought I was having a heart-attack from the anxiety and mostly from the lack of physical outlets for all my pent up energies. I had stopped all exercise.

It was definitely the wrong drug for me. I convinced my therapist to take me off the drugs and just do old fashioned psychotherapy. Things got resolved, life got back to "normal" and it took about 6 months for me.

The Lexapro made me crazy. Maybe some other drug would have been ok. I think it's a highly individual thing based upon so many variables that only working with a caring professional could resolve.
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  14:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a good first session. I have never clicked with a therapist before so this is good news. For the most part opening up felt relatively easy. Sharing feelings is not easy for me and it was apparent during our fist discussion that emotions were not given a comfortable status in my home.

I am curious about the process in general and a little bit nervous. Only a few years ago did I realize that those hours my mom spent in the bedroom sleeping with a headache were part of her depression. In many ways I'm wise to the ways of TMS and I think the disease knows this. I tend to look at it as a gift now, like the quoted patient of Sarno in TDM, a message or a signal that there's something I need to work on or a wake up call. I am interested in figuring out why I'm prone to TMS and repressing emotions so I can prevent future attacks. Being sensitive to pain, light, heat, sound, other people's feelings can be a blessing and a curse.

I'm interested in other people's success stories with therapy. It might be too personal to share. It's very new to me, exciting and frightening.

Edited by - Kristin on 10/04/2006 09:04:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000