TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Food triggered migraines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  15:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering, among those who have stopped having migraines, if the migraines you used to have were ever food triggered. I'm hoping that my food triggered migraines will be one of the sx I will stop having once I really get this TMS thing beat.

I used to not have any migraines, and ate many of the foods that are considered triggers for migraines with no problem, but around the time that I developed the sx that were dx as CFS and Fibro, I also began to have frequent migraines. A doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid, and ever since, whenever I've tried to eat those foods, bang, I get a migraine. But I've always wondered why my body's response to those foods would have changed, so it would make sense to me that it may not be a direct physical response to the food.

Thanks for any input you may be able to offer!

Corey

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  18:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey, my triggers were food from the citrus family, sour cream,red wine, chocolate and msg, somehow the reactions were more likely to happen just before menstruation,but two sips of red wine would do it I have not had a migraine since entering menopause despite the fact that I am on hormone therapy.I wonder if this has something to do from getting adjustments from a chiropractor who told me I would never get migraines again, I guess my subconscious believed him and I had to find another chronic pain to keep my mind busy , hence fibro. Lately I have been getting the aura without the headache. The strange thing is that since menopause, I get other symptoms when I consume the trigger food, sinus congestion, stomach pain and increased muscle pain for instance, so I suspect these symptoms are phsycological in nature and part of tms, I did not have fibro when I used to get migrines, I had ulcers, chronic bladder infections, chronic tonsillitis, hives, bad allergies, and migraines, I ran on adreneline and stress and enjoyed it for the most part , until fibro reared it's ugly head and stopped me in my tracks. Until then I was so busy that I ignored all the warnings my body was given me,I buried the emotional pain in my busyness and was available to anyone who needed me, ironic how I still miss those days when I Thought I was invincible as I now worry about every ache and pain and work so hard at finding resolution in the tms diagnosis.It is said that there are components in certain foods that can trigger migraines in certain individuals prone to them, how much is chemical and physical and how much is tms I don't know , however I do remember how disabling migraines can be and so if staying away from certain food keep the headaches at bay for whatever reasons while you are doing the tms work , then I say why not, pretty hard to concentrate on the emotional aspect of tms when your head is pounding, maybe one day when you are on top of things you will be able to reintroduce these foods with no problems. Wishing you the best of luck on this tms journey
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  19:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Miche!

I have found it best to avoid the foods because I hate the migraines. I get little enough done without the headache, so it's just not worth it to eat things that will trigger one. I still get a monthly hormonal migraine--I've read it's caused by the shifting hormones and that's why they stop occurring when a woman reaches menopause. I should be there in a few more years, I think. But I'd love to think I'll be able to eat what I like once I've overcome TMS. I'm intrigued to hear that you now have other sx from those trigger foods. That does seem to point to a psychological connection, I would think.

It's amazing to think that in my conscious mind I hate being held back by the pain and fatigue and I want so much to be able to run full speed again, yet I know it was that constant pushing to do more and more that stopped me in my tracks, just like you. I guess the key is that much of what I was doing I really didn't want to do--I was putting all my needs on hold to take care of everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Migraines, stomach problems, acid problems - all TMS, my friends. These are conditioned responses of the body. None of them make sense. AFter all, how come loads of people don't get any reactions.

My food allergies started when I got TMS pain. My conditioned response is gas, mild acne and hives, stomach pains. It is ingrained in my head that sugars, dairy, chocolate and especially coffee will cause these problems. This was emphasized when I started the blood type diet and was told point blank that I couldn't eat these foods. As soon as I stopped eating them, my stomach problems went away and my skin problems.

Slowly, over the last year, after accepting fully the TMS diagnosis and beating my back pain (which was absolutely awful - had it for 12 years). I have started the same approach with my foods. I have managed to eat fruit and bread with no reaction now. I have yet to tackle coffee, chocolate or other carbs. This is going to take time.

Undoing years of conditioned response and overcoming the fear when I eat these foods will take quite a bit of time. Fear really perpetuates it. i have noticed periods when I have eaten these foods when on vacation - or really really relaxed adn have had no reaction. Why? because the whole thing is NONSENSE!!!! As usual, all these doctors are barking up the wrong tree. It is good to eat healthy foods - fresh veggies, fruits, lean protein etc - that is common sense. Food allergies are just another "in vogue" TMS equivalent
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also - the good Dr. Sarno discovered and proved TMS when he got rid of his own migraines. He did not have back pain but applied his theory to his migraines.

I can guarantee you 100% migraines are just a distraction - all caused by the unconscious. There is NO DOUBT. You must have no doubt in your minds in order to beat this. Read about Sarno's experience wiht this in his books - there is the proof
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Suz

Migraines, stomach problems, acid problems - all TMS, my friends. These are conditioned responses of the body. None of them make sense. AFter all, how come loads of people don't get any reactions.

...the whole thing is NONSENSE!!!! As usual, all these doctors are barking up the wrong tree. It is good to eat healthy foods - fresh veggies, fruits, lean protein etc - that is common sense. Food allergies are just another "in vogue" TMS equivalent

x'2 Suz, good post!
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  14:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses--it's very encouraging! I have to admit I really miss chocolate and caffeine, but I've also been frustrated that I had to give up peanut butter and beans.

I'll just keep reminding myself it's been a conditioned response. It makes total sense, because I consumed one or another of these foods daily and didn't have migraines daily, but as soon as the doctor gave me the list it seemed that everything then triggered a migraine.

Corey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000