TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Plantar Facitis (sp?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floridaboy

40 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  08:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Background: Long term TMS sufferer with tons of success thanks to Dr Sarno. Question for the forum...I am training for a marathon and bought some new shoes. They are high end ($120) and good brand and I had them fitted at a high quality running store. I ran in them for about 3 weeks with no issues then out of the blue I get a horrific case of Plantar Facitis. Tried talking to my brain and even did a 12 mile run through lots of pain to prove "it was all in my head". Read Sarno books throughout and journaled some...Well I could barely walk the next moring and haven't been able to run for over a week. My wife, an ardent TMS believer, said she noticed some swelling on the bottom of my foot and all of the symptoms are classic PF.

So what do I do now? Go about conventional treatment given that I changed shoes? Rest until it goes away and start over? Buy new shoes and crank up the journal and book reading and just say it is TMS?

This is a tough one...TMS theory says that activity should not put you on the sideline with more pain, but that last run hit me hard the day after. Thoughts?

PS I recognize PF is a TMS equivalent but is it only an equivalent if it is chronic? Is a one time case of PF real? Could I have hurt myself with those new shoes and after conventional treatment and new shoes it will go away? The swelling my wife noticed threw me since TMS is not associated with inflamation...HELP

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused myself about the inflammation issue...

I've had PF a bunch of times...it was all TMS except the first case which was brought on by a bad pair of shoes...

It's hard for us runners as we don't wnat to lose our resolve, and mostly that's right. But at the same time, actual injuries do happen occasionally..

Are these shoes stiffer than you're used to by any chance?

Edited by - art on 09/17/2006 10:38:32
Go to Top of Page

floridaboy

40 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hhhmmm stiffer? not sure but I do know they felt like they had slightly less "cushoning" and lacked the normal "stability" control. They were simply out of the model I have been using so I said WTF and went with the next model in the same brand. I wrote all that "Stability and cushioning" stuff off as sensless structural concerns and figured that most injuries are TMS...thus part of my doubt. I guess the question is...are ALL cases of PF TMS or are some of them for real?
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  13:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ask about the stiffness issue because my girlfriend, who is not susceptible to TMS, once had a flare up after buying shoes that were too stiff...AS soon as she ditched the shoes, the PF went away...

I think some cases of PF are real.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  23:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a tough one. I got PF two yrs ago after running two marathons in three months. And yes, there was some swelling; not visible, but I could feel it. And to this day I feel a slight swelling (scar tissue, I suppose). And to this day it will occasionally flare up.

One thing: Are you a middle-aged male? I've heard PF is much more common in men after 50.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had terrible PF in my right foot for about 3 months earlier this year. I had obvious swelling and that area was extremely sore to the touch....I looked at it as TMS, did the standard TMS thinking stuff, didn't see a podiatrist or change my shoes or do any special exercises, did continue walking 45 minutes a day (through the pain - it always got better after a few blocks). The problem is gone now.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  09:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get more comfortable footgear. Keep walking. Take a short break from hard training, but don't baby it. Inactivity makes it worse.

Good point that an acute case of this condition is probably real, but if you let your mind run wild TMS will latch on to the pain and try to use that later and onward. Stop worrying about it, it'll drive you nuts.

If you are pressuring yourself to stay on your training schedule, then you need a good slap in the head. If there is a TMS component to your condition then you need to break the cycle. Ask yourself, is the marathon _that_ important?

Stay away from the podiatrist, all they do is put you in expensive custom fitted orthodics. Why?!? Because of the huge profit margin. I consider podiatrists in the same snake oil bucket as chiropractors.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 09/18/2006 09:56:17
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  13:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree about podiatrists (and chiros). When I got PF two yrs ago a podiatrist gave me a cortsone injection. Completely worthless. I think the new pair of orthotics he prescribed about that time also made the problem worse.

Years ago my sister had surgery for Mortons Neuroma (metatarsal pain). Pain returned. Then she had an injection to kill the nerve. Worthless. A woman at work also had neuroma surgery. Two yrs later she admits she is no better off.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  15:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When in the UK I'm an xray technician but I'd never heard of plantar fasciitis until I read this forum.

It does appear on NHS websites but must be pretty rare. Here we all pay for everyone's health care so it's in no one's interest to come up with new problems (or new cures for that matter) whereas the opposite seems the case in the US.
Go to Top of Page

floridaboy

40 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  16:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great feedback everyone. I am going to follow Stryder's advice...get new more comfortable shoes, and treat it as TMS. I fairly certain it is. I will let you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000