TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Psychotherapist in DC area
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elsfive

14 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  13:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good psychotherapist in the Washington DC area?

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Andrea Leonard-Segal, MD
George Washington University Center for Integrative Medicine
Suite 200
908 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
(202) 833-5055

Go to Top of Page

elsfive

14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  07:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response Tom, but I have actually already been to see her. She is a TMS doctor not an actual psychotherapist. I went to see her to determine whether I had TMS and I do. Now I need think I need some help from a psychoyherapist in getting to my repressed emotions.
Go to Top of Page

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elsfive, how did you like Dr. Leonard-Segal? I am thinking of travelling from Canada to see her but want to make sure it is worth the expense and trouble. How many times did you/will you see her? How long was your initial appointment? Does she offer any group therapy? Was she not able to recommend a psychotherapist to you? I was hoping that type of recommendation would be something she could do.
Thanks,
Lark
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tennis tom[/i]

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Andrea Leonard-Segal, MD
George Washington University Center for Integrative Medicine
Suite 200
908 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
(202) 833-5055
------------------------------------------------------

I put that out there assuming a TMS doctor would be working closely with TMS psycho-therapists. I'm surprised that she can't refer you to one.

Try this link for a listing of TMS practitioners in the US. Maybe you can work by phone:

http://www.tarpityoga.com/directory.html

Good Luck,
tt
Go to Top of Page

Bat Ears

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Dr. Segal, too, and she didn't refer me for psychotherapy - didn't need it. I'm guessing she didn't think Elsfive needed it either, and I'm sure she certainly could recommend a psychotherapist.
Go to Top of Page

elsfive

14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  13:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lark,
I went to see Dr. Leonard Segal after reading MBP and HBP. The appointment lasted about an hour. We discussed the history of my physical symptoms and some of the things that were going on in my life just prior to getting the symptoms. The appointment also included a physical exam. Based on this, she indicated that she thought my symptoms are due to TMS. She told me a lot of what I already knew from reading Sarno's books like stop obsessing on the physical symptoms and letting them run my life...etc. To answer your questions, she also said that most people only need to see her two or three times and there is no group therapy that I am aware of.

Dr. Segal indicated that people who have issues from childhood are often the ones who need psychotherapy and I happen to fall in that category. She is able to recommend therapists, however for a variety of reasons I was having a little difficulty getting that information from her office and thought that someone on the board might have a suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  19:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elsfive,
Thanks for your response. I don't think I could afford to see her more than once (due to airfare cost!)and so my visit would just be to confirm that I do have TMS and to get a referral to a TMS psychotherapist for telephone therapy (I can't find a TMS therapist who will do so without confirmation from a doctor that I do have TMS). Did the confirmation of by a doctor that you have TMS help you to beleive the diagnosis and progress in any way yet?
Lark
Go to Top of Page

elsfive

14 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  12:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lark,
This is kind of long winded, so bear with me.

I have suffered through various digestive problems/allergies over the past ten years and have spent a lot of time and money on trying to find a cure. Overall, I would say that everything I tried did help but only a little bit. It seemed that treatments that worked for others just did not really help me all that much. I did not understand why my physiology seemed so different from everybody else's. My physical problems have been a mystery to every doctor/health practicioner (both traditonal and alternative) I have seen been.

A few months ago, I actually read The Mindbody Prescription (someone gave it to me 2 years ago but I was so wrapped up in my physical symptoms that I did not really give it a chance). After reading it, I was convinced that enough of what was described in the book pertained directly to my life to at least give a try especially since nothing else had worked. The more I thought about it and examined the possible sources of rage in my life, the more I realized that even if TMS is not the cause (which on an intellectual level I know it is), it is at the very least contributing to my problems and keeping me from getting well.

So by the time I saw Dr. Segal, I was already pretty open to the TMS dianosis and I don't think she convinced me any further. From my experince so far, I don't think anybody telling me that they thought I have or don't have TMS would convince me either way but that is because at this point I don't really trust doctors 100%. I guess for some who have more trust in doctors, it might help to get the dianosis from a especially to rule out the possiblity that their problems are physical. It was comforting to get her opinion though.

So for me at least, I think that the TMS dianosis is something that I have to wrap my brain around at my own pace despite the dianosis from Dr. Segal. This is something I recently discovered from reading the some of posts on this board and am still struggling with. When I first started the process, I think I approached it the wrong way. I was excited and impatient and although I was journaling, I really obsessed and focused more on convincing my brain to stop distracting me from my emotions (like every minute of the day).

However now I am coming to realize that I need to switch my focus. I think that I need to work more discovering the emotions I am repressing and I get a better handle on that, before I even start to try and convince my brain to stop doing what it is doing. As far as my progress goes, while my digestive problems have not improved significantly, I have noticed some changes and new minor aches and pains in my back and knees. I am working on trying not to expect to much too soon. My brain has been doing this for 10 years after all and it is not going to change over night.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elsfive

...My physical problems have been a mystery to every doctor/health practicioner (both traditonal and alternative) I have seen [by].

A few months ago, I actually read The Mindbody Prescription (someone gave it to me 2 years ago but I was so wrapped up in my physical symptoms that I did not really give it a chance). After reading it, I was convinced...

...So for me at least, I think that the TMS diagnosis is something that I have to wrap my brain around at my own pace...

... My brain has been doing this for 10 years after all and it is not going to change over night.

Hi elsfive,

Good news!!! The key points (above) of your post are an excellent sign that you are on your way.

It is so important as you say to set your own pace and not look for a quick fix. Many of us have had the "Sarno Double Take" and start to "get it" when we revisit the good doctor's book some time later.

I think one of the most telling signs of accepting the TMS diagnosis is when you have seen a bunch-o-doctors (except for Dr. Segal), and they have looked hard, but have come up with nothing - nada -- zilch -- the big round Z E R O. They are clueless.

Good luck with your therapy and recovery. Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 09/12/2006 18:52:35
Go to Top of Page

larkascending

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  08:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply, elsfive,
I too read the book 2 years ago and 'rediscovered' it 4 months ago. I am now looking seriously into seeing Dr.Segal. I think I need to see a TMS psychotherapist and this seems to be the only way - with a doctor's diagnosis. Did you find a therapist yet?
Lark.
Go to Top of Page

elsfive

14 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  12:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lark,

I was finally able to get a couple of recommendations from Dr. Segal's office - one for a LCSW and another one for a psychiatrist. I could be wrong, but I don't think that you actually need a TMS diagnosis to see a therapist. I didn't. It is my understanding that the referrals I got were to people who are aware of TMS and Sarno's work rather than "TMS psychotherapists" if there is such a thing. I think that you just need to find someone who uses the psychodynamic approach to therapy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000