TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Lending out your book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  13:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few people have said they lent out their book and never got it back. When you lend someone a book it tends to be put to one side, not read, then forgotten about and you don’t get it back.

I often lend out my copy of “The Mindbody Prescription”, but I make it clear that it’s only for a few weeks, because I need it myself (or I say someone else wants to borrow it, which is often the case.) My purpose in lending the book is so that they can look through it and decide whether or not they want to give it a go. If they do, then they can buy their own copy, because they’ll need it.

After a couple of weeks I ask them if they’ve read it or started reading it. If, a couple of weeks after that they haven’t read it, I ask for it back, saying I need it - because if they haven’t read it by that time they never will, and if you leave it too long you’ll never get it back. If they forget to give it back I remind them. They usually return it fairly promptly after I ask them, though, because I’ve said I need it.

Hilary N

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two copies of the book. And I am such an (idiot) people-pleaser that when I loan it out, I tell them, you can keep it as long as you need to read it, 'cause I have another copy...My current status is that both copies are loaned out. One copy to a friend, who took it for his father (when I met the father he said..."In India we have known that stress affects the body for centuries!! There is nothing new here! You should do Yoga!" I didn't argue.). The other to my boyfriends sister who "promised" to post it back from Seattle. Of course I am shy about asking for it back..

ndb
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be shy - or should I say, don't be goodist. Explain that you need it because you are still working on it and need to re-read it to absorb the concepts.

If you don't feel you can ask for it back because you need it for yourself, say there's someone else who wants to borrow it from you.

I must admit I also bought a second copy, thinking I could lend one out and keep one. I think I also made that mistake of telling someone to keep it as long as they wanted. Then I realised how silly that was, firstly because, as I said before, if they haven't read it within a couple of weeks they never will; and secondly because soon enough I needed to lend it to someone else. So I told the first person I needed it back to lend to the other person. No way was I giving out my second copy. That's for ME.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  06:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally relate to all this.

I must say, I don't lend a book unless I'm either prepared to lose it, or prepared to push the person for it back, in other words, a friend who I see often anyway, and won't have to make a special call to them just about the book.

With Sarno, though, I'm committed to "spreading the word". I figure if I don't get it back, I'll just order another copy. You can get them pretty cheap used off of Amazon. And if somebody at my negligent friend's house sees the book and shows interest, maybe the word spreads . . .

Regards,

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  08:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 CDs for "Healing Back Pain". Right now, my Dad has one that he has listened to and is now sharing with friends. He did return it to me, and asked where to buy one. I told him to keep it as long as he needed it. A copy is with a friend, but I don't think he's listened to it yet. I reminded him today about it. The last copy is with me, but if someone was interested, I'd loan it out.

I agree, as long as the word gets out, I'll lend my copies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000