TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Is this TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sorecat

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  23:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day

I am 35 years old and since March this year suffered from extremely painful feet, intense pain in my thighs (underside) and lower back pain (although intensive physio treatment has reduced this pain considerably). I have had a whole raft of blood tests all of which apart from a slightly higher than normal blood fasting test have come back as negative. CT scans and MRI show no nerve impingement in by back or pelvis and both my physio and Sports Doctor seem to be at a loss (the latter resorting to injecting local anasthetic into trigger points in my legs and backside to limited effect). I have also seen a neurologist who belives there is no major neuropathy going on though I am to have some further "tests" early next month with him. Prior to the pain starting in my feet I suffered for 14 months from servere anxiety(GAD) triggered by the my youngest son being diagnosed with somantic pragmatic disorder, anxiety which seemed to disapate quite quickly once the pain in my feet etc became worse although my anxiety levels have increased again in the past couple of days (most probably due to the frustration and continued pain).. All the while I have noticed my muscles (back and shoulders in particular) have remained tense and I find it near on impossible to relax.

I have suffered from anxiety (GAD) on a couple of previous occassions once for over 18 months that coincided with the birth of my first son and the pain in my thighs is virtually identical to a similar problem I suffered from for over 8 years which again had the medical community perplexed until treatment from the sports doctor/physio combination seemed to do the trick (after over 18 months worth of treatment).

I should also like to point out that I currently meditate twice a day (with varying results) and have recently come across the concept of Tension Myositis Syndrome and I can clearly see parallels with my condition but like the meditation I am experiencing extreme difficultly in applying the concepts.

Have I got TMS? and if so what strategies should I employ to beat the bugger

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  07:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sorecat,

Your experiences sound like classic TMS to me: unexplained pains moving around, coupled with anxiety; drs. have run tests, tests come up "clean," drs. are still baffled; some recent stressful events in your life. Have you read any of Dr. Sarno's books yet? If not, that would be the first step.

Good luck,
ss
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  07:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sorecat,

I'm new to this forum. Your post reminded me of me ... I had to reply. I'm 35, mother of 2 girls 5 and nearly 4.

The past 18 months I was on a hunt to find out what my problem was. My 3 yo daughter has had some health issues too, they thought she had dwarfism, but they just ruled it out this week. (Thank God!)

You detail the doctors, tests and diagnosises (or lack there of), treatment, AND the birth of your son and the SPD. The stress of the birth of your children, AND the fact that doctors have labeled (Dxed) him, AND the symptoms and pain you've been experiencing sound to me like you've been dealt plenty of psychological reasons for TMS to indeed be the culprit.

It sounds like you are onto something with TMS. (I'm not a doc, I just play one on TV.) The fact that you have stumped the medical community over the years (like me too ... I've got reams of lab reports that are baffling, but no organic disease DX), and the fact that you've done the right thing by seeking medical attention was a good strategy until now. Perhaps consider using the medical field as your training wheels to wellness. I plan to visit my doctors once in a while, just to check in, and eventually scream from the mountain tops about how I recovered from fibro, migraines, and carpal tunnel that was so "bad" on the sense test "my wrists needed surgery". NOT!!!!

Read The Mindbody Prescription. Reread it. Continue the practice meditation (practice practice practice, it takes time to get it). Begin journaling. Shift your focus off your symtoms and onto the repressed feelings you have about your son, giving birth, the physical pain, your son's DX, all the doctors' visits etc. Try journaling exercises about what your unconcious might be feeling with the people/experiences in your life since the pain came back.

Here's an example: I had a break thru today. I realized that my daughter's potential illness was distracting my family and friends' attention away from MY potential illness, which could be a HUGE unconcious reason why my pain and suffering increased. Like my unconscious' attempt at telling all the people in my life ..."Hey, over here!!! I'm the one really suffering! I'm her mother for crying out loud! I birthed her! Why don't you pay attention to MY problems as much as you have concern for her?!" Ouch, I know that sounds really ugly, but our unconcious is NOT pretty. They say (psychologists etc.) that the unconscious can be the absolute exact opposite of our conscious thoughts. I was consciously insanely upset over her problems and worried for her, loving her, and even had wished for God to give me something instead of her. (Unconscious would say "No, DON'T give ME something! Are you CRAZY???? See here... you already HAVE a problem ... take that with a nasty muscle spasm.") So I can only imagine that the above may be what my unconcious was focusing on. Probably even uglier than I've tapped into, I bet.

Hang in there and start to believe that you can live without the physical pain and accept the emotional pain. Read the books. Post here. Read the archives here. If you can, listen to these amazing accounts: http://podolsky.everybody.org/rsi/audio/ Switch your focus off the medical tests. Get well. I am. Hundreds here have. Thousands have who've used his books. You already have within you the potential to get better, but you've got to look your demons in the eyes and experience the emotional pain. Lick your wounds, Sorecat and be extra kind to yourself.

Hugs
>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sorecat- You are a classic tmsr. I went thru the same process 8 years ago as did most of us. Doctor after doctor, test after test. Nothing would correlate together . The symptoms didn't match up and the bloodwork was normal. I have been in good shape,knock on wood, for the last 3 years thanks to Dr. Sarno. Get The Mind Body Prescription and then read The Divided Mind. You will see yourself in that book and you will gain confidence in Sarno's theory. The saddest thing is what all the doctors have put you thru because of their ignorance.
Go to Top of Page

sorecat

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all thanks for your support and kind words - I need to point out however that I'm a fella so I can't really relate to the physical pain associated with child birth although I do recall both being quite emotional events. I thought you might be interested in the fact that over the weekend i spent 8 hours moving all sorts of rubbish for my father in law as well as 2 hours on the chain saw. For the first couple of hours the pain in my feet was extreme but I kept on working. About 3 hours into the day I managed to drop an engine block on my ankle (very painful). Over the next few hours my ankle swelled up and became very sore to move however the pain in the soles of my feet virtually disappeared. Also my back and hamstrings that should have been screaming from the rafters only gave a whimper.

I see my physio today and am going to have a break for at least 3 weeks to give TMS a go.

I must admit I feel very aprehensive but then again nothing ventured!

thank you once again!

PS I have read Monty Hoffles e book and I think he sums me up a treat!

Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sorecat

First of all thanks for your support and kind words - I need to point out however that I'm a fella so I can't really relate to the physical pain associated with child birth although I do recall both being quite emotional events.
I must admit I feel very aprehensive but then again nothing ventured!

Hey SoreCat, Sorry it took me a few days to answer you. I think that DADs get as emotionally ruffles as moms when their children are born, so the fact you didn't physically BIRTH your babes doesn't change ANYTHING in my previous post

Also, your apprehension over TMS is normal. Afterall, if this indeed is TMS (and I'd bet the farm it is), then to stop it you need to open yourself up for some upsettling and disturbing emotions and self realizations. I don't like this part about my TMS recovery either and STILL wish I could have someone else go thru it for me. But it's kindof like getting your driver's license, you can't have someone else take the test for you.

Oh, something else I want to share with you with regards to your block on the ankle story. Before I found TMS, I dropped a 3-gallon jug of water on my hand and my wrist swelled 3 times it's normal size. I was in AGONY! I had (stress past-tense HAD) carpal tunnel and my brain saw the CTS and this injury--which didn't hurt til 24 hours later--as a way to distract me from the emotion I was feeling, which at the time had to do with visiting my parents. The brain is VERY powerful, more powerful than we give credit--to both heal and harm. I reckon there was something unconcious going on that flaired your ankle worse than just the block. Yes, the block caused pain, but with TMS, the brain is a masterful manipulator and will have us believing anything to avoid a nasty emotion.

Hope you are doing better!
>|<Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  17:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorecat,

Sure sounds like TMS to me. As Susie said, your pattern if very familiar to most of us. BTW, what is the "somantic pragmatic disorder" you said your son was dx'd with? Never heard of it.

Go to Top of Page

sorecat

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrldtrv

Somantic Pragmatic Disorder is essentially a language/auditory prosessing disorder that means my young bloke has difficulty in both understanding and constructing certain sentences (particularly how's and why's). He also has difficultly in understanding social context and it is for these reasons the disorder is seen in the US as part of the Autism Spectrum.

cheers

Sorecat
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  02:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, sorecat, you have just answered a decades old question for me, namely "what the heck is going on with M?" (my daughter, now 36 years old). I've just finished reading about semantic pragmatic disorder and that's her, with some Aspergers thrown in. One of my foster daughters has a child with Asperger's and her kid is not nearly as out of touch with the rest of the world as M is. I just never thought of it.

M was never "ordinary" but she had lots of talent and intelligence so we assumed she'd grow out of her very strange take on the English language and inability to relate normally to other people. She grew up to be diagnosed schizophrenic (and bipolar) so the other problems got lost in the shuffle.

Sorecat, she is a single mom (with an atypical 13 year old of her own), living independently, with a cat and a dog, a fair number of friends and, all and all, a pretty decent life. And she did it on her own with no help at all but two confused parents who, to be honest, didn't have a clue how to raise this unusual child.

My foster daughter, who has an 8 year old with Asperger's, an full-blown autistic 3 year old and a 2 year old who is already furious at the world, has enormous resources at her disposal but nothing about raising these kids is going to be easy. The support and training she has may make an impossible situation easier. I don't know.

But I do know that you are entitled to all the tms in the world. Please hang in there. Knowing it's tms makes life a whole lot easier.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000