TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Advice as I begin psychotherapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Friends,

I'm new here, but no stranger to TMS. I finally figured it out after an intense couple of years of suffering (fibromyalgia, CTS, migraines yadayada). I was convinced I had lupus and was being failed by the medical community to be correctly Dxed. Looking back on myself, I get quite saddened by the entire ordeal--not just from a pain and suffering perspective but b/c I wasted a year of my life being obsessed by disease and all things-medical (eg books, tapes, Internet, newsgroups etc.). I learned so much medical schtuff I feel like I earned an honorary doctorate in medicine. LOL!

I thank the stars above that the book "Freedom from Fibromyalgia" was on the bookshelf the day I researched my most recent Dx of fibromyalgia. After beginning reading, I had to read Sarno's book too. I don't know where I would be had I not read these books: perhaps the psyche ward, or an island in the meditteranean renouncing materialism and the world as we know it. Who knows, but I am eternally thankful. In addition to the pain, I was terribly depressed and convinced I was going to die.

I've been reading the books for a couple months now, and doing some dream and journaling work cited in the "Freedom" book. It has helped immensely, but Sarno's words "a small percentage of people require psychotherapy" were ringing in my mind. I still have some pains and lots of unresolved conscious and unconcious stuff going on, so I decided to work with a clinical psychotherapist: He actually believes the mind and body are one and the same, although he's not familiar with TMS or the good doctor.

I repressed my overly enthusiastic (type A goodist) personality and STOPPED myself from copying Sarno's books and Web pages, for him to use to help me. I let go and just walked in there today and spoke of TMS and my ability to stop my migraines and cure my carpal tunnel.

I was laughing at myself all morning before my appt b/c I had awoken to a new excrutiating pain in my face. I thought about cancelling the session to go and see a dentist instead, but then I realized ... aha ...yes symptom imperative: It's trying to stop me going to the therapist.

I went to the appt. After the session, the pain lessened but it's still there right now. I'm quite anxious for our next session which isn't for 2 weeks. He held the mirror at me today and made me feel discomfort with a couple things, which is what I consciously want.

Brings me to my questions: For those of you who have worked with a psychotherapist unfamiliar with the good doctor, what did you tell them about TMS? Are there any differences in psychotherapy performed to end pain and TMS than just regular old-fashioned psychotherapy? I've asked him to give me homework ... is that a common thing for therapists to do? Also, he made reference today about having to share info about me with my regular doctor ... is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Also, how do you know you have a good psychotherapist? I'm guessing I'm supposed to feel agitation and emotion from his questions ... but how do you know it's going to work? I've got to pay $30 copay and I can't afford to spend this money unless it's going to help me be able to get back to working full capacity. I'd love to hear about your experiences with therapy and how any advice on things I can do in the interim, waiting for the next appt.

I wish for blessings of pain free days upon you all, and thank you in advance for your replies.

>|< Penny

Non illigitamus carborundum.

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  17:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny,
I tried psychotherapy for a while with a non-TMS doctor. Basically I was left with the impression that any therapy should do you some good in making you realize certain irrational beliefs you may hold (cognitive behavioral therapy) and learning to recognize and stop them. I also learned to recognize when I was avoiding a topic- my therapist seemed to be particulary good at taking me to task for changing the subject. I now find I can recognized when my husband is repressing something- he gets free therapy from me now- poor guy. But I also came to realize that therapy can be a very long-term proposition. I did it long enough to gain a little insight into how the process worked and now try to apply it to myself. If I was rich or didn't have a co-pay (which I didn't when I started then they changed my plan)I'd probably still be going.
There are a lot of people that swear you have to see a freudian psych in order to uncover the repressed rage but I think that is an even longer term proposition.
Give it a try- it will at least do you some good on some level.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  22:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny,

I agree with Carolyn that it's worth a try. I think it's important to have a game plan (what exaclty do you want out of the therapy?) and a realistic view of what therapy can accomplish. Remember, it's not your therapist who is going to cure you; it's you. All the therapist can do is point the way. I've found that change is something you have to be ready for and work your butt off to achieve. Anything less and you're just amusing yourself at $30 co-pay per session.

As for how you know whether you have the right therapist for you, I would say the first thing is rapport. If you don't like or feel a connection to the person, it's probably not going to work because you will be silently judging and dismissing everything that person says. Secondly, make sure the therapist has a definite game plan to deal with your problem as well as a projected completion. Finally, go ahead and mention Sarno and TMS and watch for the reaction. You wouldn't want to work with anyone who was dismissive of it. The ones I've told about it are neutral to supportive. Good enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000