TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Need some coaching from you guys!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tack

2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  13:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Within this past week found out that I have TMS. I have had back pain for a couple years. But wrote it off as I have a soft bed or I have tight hamstrings. This past week the TMS reared it's ugly head with an anxiety attack. Luckily, I had the book "The Divided Mind" on my coffee table and I ran home it read it within 2 days.

Now I am currently reading "The Mindbody Perscription". I need some help understanding a couple of things. Is it the actual recognition of these stressors and the recognition that I am repressing this rage, is this what helps to clear these symptoms?

I have accepted that I know what is causing my stress and I know that this is leading to this back pain and this new found anxiety. It's weird because now my lower back isnt hurting, the pain is moving all around my back up to my neck and shoulders now. I guess I need some feedback as to where do I go from here? I am going to read 2 more of Sarno's book and have ordered Schecter's work book. Just need some extra support to help me get through these next couple of weeks.

Another thing, how long to full recovery?

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you breeze through all of Sarno's books, take your time to absorb The Mindbody Prescription first. You can start by going over the Therapeutic Program on page 152. Try to follow this program for at least a few weeks, then see where you're at.
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tack,

#1, don't put a time limit or a time estimate on your recovery. This could have a negative impact on your progress. Some people (very few, I think) experience a spontaneous, full recovery. For many others, it ranges from days to weeks to months. Some see it as a lifelong process of growth and recovery, the road to true heath for mind, body, and spirit. Because TMS pain originates in the mind, and because your mind is always with you throughout your whole life, developing, changing, and responding to your life experiences, past and present, TMS has a way of coming back from time to time. Often it is triggered by current, stressful events. But once you become more perceptive of your TMS triggers, more aware of your thoughts and emotions, as well as the common locations for your pains, it will be easier to recognize the TMS gremlin when it pops up and defeat it more quickly.

Yes, Sarno says that the key to overcoming TMS pain is the knowledge and understanding that the pain *is* TMS. The recognition and 100% belief that the pain you have is TMS is a good portion of the battle, but, in my case, it has taken more than this. For me, believing that all my pains were TMS was a "no brainer." Of course all these pains have been psychologically-based. But, now what? Journaling, psychotherapy, excercise, midfullness/meditation are things that have worked for me. I also try laughing at the pain (or at the subconscious mind)--calling its bluff. I try not to get frustrated when the pain isn't improving as quickly as I had hoped, as that usually makes it worse... I try to stay patient and vigilant in doing "the work."

If your pain has started to move around, that is a great sign! (Sarno calls this the "symptom imperative.") It means you have TMS on the run. You've called its bluff and it's trying to find another place that it can fool you. Don't let it!

Don't underestimate re-reading Sarno. It keeps all the concepts fresh and ingrains them in your brain.

Let us know what you think of Schechter's workbook. I started it, but when my pain started to improve, I got lazy. I may go back to it soon, as my neck pain has returned the past few days.

Best,
ss
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tack,

Is it the actual recognition of these stressors and the recognition that I am repressing this rage, is this what helps to clear these symptoms?

Yes, it can be that, or as the other replies have said, the realization to have no fear of the pain since the pain is benign.

Once you conquer the fear your are on your way to recovery.

Another thing, how long to full recovery?

It depends on you, and how much work you do, and what your idea of full recovery is.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

tack

2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  06:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great feedback from all you guys. This has been one hell of a week. Big low with the attack and big high with the realization of what I'm doing to myself. It's good to feel that I'm starting to recognize what's going on. Have some work to do, but I'm heading in the right direction.

If there are any other helpful hints out there, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000