TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Newbie w/a question about books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sooverit

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  12:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this whole concept of TMS but it truly makes sense to me. I just finished reading Dr. Sarno's book "The Mindbody Prescription" and in it he describes tons of symptoms that I experience: heartburn, panic disorder (my #1 problem), anxiety, chronic fatigue syndrome, tinnitus, vertigo, neck pain, sinus pain, allergies, bronchitis...the list goes on and on.

Phew! to put it all down is a bit overwhelming. But mainly my question is this: which of Dr. Sarno's books would you recommend next? I am at the point where I am begining to uncover some of my deeper causes of TMS and I really want to proceed with my recovery. I do try to train my brain to recognize the symptoms for what they are since I've been so trained by Drs. to buy into physical explanations. (One Dr. did recognize many of my symtoms as "stress-related" w/out offering any suggested treatment, which made me feel like it is my fault I get sick).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  12:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! If you're looking for a similar read to Mindbody Prescription (MBP), try Healing Back Pain (HBP). His newest book, The Divided Mind (TDM) is excellent, but it is lengthier and more in-depth than his previous books. I would start TDM once you feel that you have a firm understanding of the concepts presented in MBP/HBP. Also, frequent re-reading of Sarno is effective, since the concepts *are* so radically different than what most people are used to.

Best,
ss
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  13:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sooverit
...describes tons of symptoms that I experience: heartburn, panic disorder (my #1 problem), anxiety, chronic fatigue syndrome, tinnitus, vertigo, neck pain, sinus pain, allergies, bronchitis...

...which made me feel like it is my fault I get sick.

Hi sooverit,

A couple things to note on sinusitis and bronchitis. Both can be viral or bacterial infections, so see your doctor to rule out a true infection. If you come up clean there and you just have pain in these areas, then you can consider treating the pain as TMS.

Regarding "fault", its it absolutely NOT you fault that your brain is wired this way for TMS. So please never blame yourself for this condition. Many have thought this way, and it is a good step forward to discontinue this false notion. The good news is that TMS treatment will cure you if you do the work.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  11:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with sonora sky. A tendency newbies have is to want to read a million different books and watch every video ever made about TMS. This is not a substitute for doing the sometimes uncomfortable work needed to beat TMS, though it's easier! You don't need to. Work with the book you've got first, cause there's a lot in there!
Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that reading the mindbody prescription, journaling, discussing with friends and family...wait a few weeks then read divided mind, journal some more, talk with family and friends more, then I saw the video (I watched it with my parents), then I read Facing the Fire. Keep in mind this process was spanned over two months or so. Then a few weeks after, I repeat AFTER I read all the books and viewed the video and journaled (still journal almost every day) I finally had an aha moment when it all started making sense and coming to me on the utmost level. Sure I understood it from the beginning, made loads of sense, it was me on almost every page but understanding and being able to live it and be one it with are totally different.

You will only get better when you are ready to and not before. Your mind must be able to take hold of the ideas and run with them. You have to not HAVE to rely on this forum or anyone else all the time. You must learn to rely on yourself, to no blame yourself for things you cannot help and to get over those that you can. You have to be honest with yourself and stop belitting yourself over every little thing. You have to stop trying to be perfect for everyone else. Stop having a facade, because the only person you are fooling is yourself. Once you can face yourself, be honest with yourself, realize who you are and what you can and will do....then you will get better. This has been the case for me anyway and I am not 100% "cured" yet but I am well on my way. I have already felt the cloud of depression lifting. Finally after many years of pain and agony I find out what the true culprit is/was and it's liberating.

(wow I was bummed this morning too, even I impressed myself with this one and believe or it not writing made me feel a LOT better). Best of luck to you.

Hugs,
Ali Cat

Edited by - jrnythpst on 08/31/2006 14:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Lmvine

27 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From AliCat:
"Sure I understood it from the beginning, made loads of sense, it was me on almost every page but understanding and being able to live it and be one it with are totally different.

You will only get better when you are ready to and not before. Your mind must be able to take hold of the ideas and run with them."

Right-on AC, understanding the concept is much easier than embracing it. As I said in another post, I avoided journaling but is necessary to do to "dig up the crap" in my subconscious. Dan
Go to Top of Page

sooverit

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will re-read MBP first and do some journaling. Then after awhile I'll continue with other books. It sounds like a good recommendation to take time and digest the basic concept/philosophy.

I go to the Dr. every time a new symptom crops up. Well, he says the sinus problems are allergies and the bronchitis is an infection which clears up w/antibiotics (but what causes the infection and allergies in the first place???)

I really had them stumped w/the tinnitus, the ENT couldn't figure that out. Then later, with vertigo, they said it was BPV (benign positional vertigo) and I had physical therapy, which didn't help at all.

So anyway, point being that I did see my Dr. regarding all these symptoms so I am pretty positive they all originate from TMS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000