TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JaneLeslie

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  13:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I am a 45 yr old Newbie who just got the TMS diagnosis. I have had Fibromyalgia for 20 or so years (on and off) which included severe moving pain and stiffness (musculoskeletal), IBs, and Interstitial Cystitis. I have also suffered from anxiety and depression as we all have, I guess.

For two years I thought I was cured through something called the Guaifenesin Protocol. I think it was a sophisticated placebo (which makes me angry at the guaifenesin people) and my body improved for a while and then regressed after a severe stress. This told me the problem was psychological in nature. I saw a local TMS doctor who is pretty sure that Fibro is mostly TMS and that I have it. I borrwed Sarno's tape from him but had to give it back.

I feel pretty anxious right now, although the pain is better (symptom imperative!) If anxiety is part of TMS than that is what I have. How does one deal with the anxiety? I just ordered a book from a TMS doctor who writes about Fibromyalagia (can't remember her name) but got her book off of Shecter's website. It hasn't come yet.

What else should I do? There are no therapists (Psych) who do this kind of thing in my area (Cape Cod) or even in Boston to my knowldge.

Should I get Sarno's DVD or Sheckter's? I think part of my anxiety is designed to distract me from the reality that I have a diagnosis that is "mental." Do emotional states work to stop the patient from accepting TMS?

I am a little wound up but willing to look at this and try to accept it. Any help for Newbies with fibro/anxiety would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  13:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane -- Hang in there. Anxiety is another strategy the brain uses. But it won't last. I was diagnoses with MPS (myofascial pain syndrome) which is very similar to fibro. As my pains eased, I had several bouts of severe anxiety like I had never had before. Once you accept that it's part of TMS, it should go away. If you feel you need help from a psychologist, look for someone who uses a psychodynamic approach or, of course, someone familiar with Dr. Sarno's work.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  14:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jane,

Yes, hang in there. You are not alone.

You mention you ordered a Fibro book. If you have not already done so, you should also read at least one of Dr. Sarno's books, his latest (4th) book is The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders as his theory is the basis for most all of the other TMS books out there.

There are several TMS docs in Boston, is that how you got your diagnosis?

Many people with TMS have some sort anxiety and/or obsessive component to their condition, its all part of the perfectionist / goodist personality.

Before you go out and spend a bunch of bucks on therapists, you owe it to yourself to start off with as much reading and journaling that you can do for a few months. Many people have been able to do their own TMS work and move forward. If after some time you find you are not progressing at all, then consider a TMS-aware psychotherapist.

Lastly, don't put yourself on some sort of time table for recovery. TMS can take weeks or months or longer (for some) to make progress. Everyone's result is different, so just take it as it comes. If, in the big picture, you see improvement week to week, or month to month, then you are on the right track. There is no quick fix, although a small percentage do experience very rapid recovery (days or weeks).

I've never seen Dr. Sarno's video program, I was able to "get it" enough at first by reading Healing Back Pain. Although, many of those who post here on the forum have found the DVDs to be very helpful reinforcement. Just listening to the good doctor "does it" for some.

The good news is that Sarno is dead on with his diagnosis and that you can retrain your mind like so many have done before you.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 08/28/2006 15:57:46
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  15:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard but be pro-active in searching out someone with whom you can talk to regarding your stressors. Being pro-active is part and parcel of what my TMS has helped me avoid.

If there are no psychotherapists in your area, see if there are marriage counselors, social workers or therapists of any kind - talk to them, tell them your situation, ask if they'll read one of Sarno's book.

Many of these people have had some psych training and if they have open minds it would be worthwhile to talk to them.

Try ordering Dr. Schecter's book or the Fibro book, they both have journalling exercises that should give you direction if you have no one to guide you where you're at.

Finally, some Psychotherapists will do phone sessions. Not many though. Dr. Dubin in LA does, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  23:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the group, Jane!

I recovered from fibromyalgia six years ago using Dr. Sarno's books. Here is a link to my posting about that: http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2459

I believe that the fibromyalgia book you ordered is "Freedom from Fibromyalgia" by Selfridge & Peterson. This book came out too late for me, but it looks like it would have been helpful. A fibromyalgia patient I told about Sarno also bought "Freedom". She like "Freedom" better because it's more practical. She particularly liked the section on journaling.

Good luck on your recovery!
Jim
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  03:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think part of my anxiety is designed to distract me from the reality that I have a diagnosis that is "mental." Do emotional states work to stop the patient from accepting TMS?

Yes.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

JaneLeslie

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  13:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you who gave me encouragement. Part of my problem is going to be getting over my embarrassment that this is all psychological. I am afraid to tell anyone---maybe I won't.

Thanks for listening and caring!
Jane
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneLeslie

Thanks to all of you who gave me encouragement. Part of my problem is going to be getting over my embarrassment that this is all psychological. I am afraid to tell anyone---maybe I won't.

Thanks for listening and caring!
Jane

I find it easiest to say 'My pain was die to intense stress, and when I learned to manage it, it went away.' Don't be embarrased, say it confidently, and everyone will be jealous of how you managed your stress! :)

ndb

Edited by - ndb on 08/29/2006 14:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ndb
I find it easiest to say 'My pain was due to intense stress, and when I learned to manage it, it went away.'

That certainly says it all. -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 08/29/2006 15:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  15:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also am still a little embarassed to admit that my pain -which took over my life -was psycholgical. There is such a social stigma there. I had to quit my job because of it and then ended up moving away so in my new life not so many people know how disabled I was but when people from my old life ask ,I just say something like 'slowing down my life and learning to control my stress allowed my body to heal itself'. I save more detail for people who I believe are also suffering from TMS in case they could benefit from what I have learned.

Personally, I think the embarassment factor is what keeps a lot of people from being even able to consider the TMS diagnosis. Subconsciously they may feel it's better to live with the pain than deal with the unpleasant emotion of embarassment.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000