TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A Problem with Weather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  13:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering if anyone can relate to this....It will sound ridiculous I'm sure, but I know it's not healthy...I have this need for warm and sunny weather...I obsessively check out all the local forecasts, have the weather bug installed on my computer, and at least once a day access the long range forecasts too, where believe it or not you can get a hint of what they expect as far as a year down the road...

I'm a runner, golfer, biker, Trikker, walker, beach going, sun worshipper person, and when the weather doesn't cooperate, at least in season, I often feel terribly let down. It's like it's never enough..We can have days and days in a row of nice weather (rare around here but does happen in the summer), but throw one crappy day in there and I become depressed...Not seriously depressed, but enough that I'm definitely not enjoying life like I otherwise might...

Last year we went to Florida for the winter and that helped, but even there it was the same thing...One lousy day (by my lights anything that does not include sun and 75 degrees plus temps), and I would not be happy...And FLorida in the winter is not the Carribean..They get plenty of coolish days in the winter (temps below 70)

I realize this is ridiculous...I'm much healthier these days and have a lot to be grateful for..Meanwhile, there is much genuine suffering in the world...And yet for all that I remain a spoiled, sulky weather brat...

Can anyone out there relate? TT? How about you? I suppose with all that sex you're having, plus indoor tennis, you remain serenely unaffected by it all....Come to think of it, you live in SF, right? Isn't it often foggy and cold there, even in summer?

I think this is TMS related on a couple of fronts (no pun intended)..For one thing, all this constant weather forecast checking definitely has overtones of obsessive/compulsive disorder, a possible TMS equivalent..For another thing, bad weather, especially extended bad weather, ticks me off, and the last thing a TMS'er needs is any more anger...

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  13:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been obsessed with the weather since being "diagnosed" with arthrits Art. I hate/abhor what have you cold weather but then again I am cold intolerant. I have low blood sugar, low blood pressure, and low blood iron. The cold and I don't get along at all. I could share horror stories but I won't unless you specifically ask. LOL I enjoy 75 plus degree weather. When it's cold outside I am constantly checking the temperature to make sure it's not below freezing. I can call and verify this or go to www.weather.com and the local news website up to 20 times on days that I fear it will get below freezing. I am much happier on days that it's above 75 degrees so I can relate there too.

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naturally I have to chime in on this one. I have a similar need for sunshine - I find overcast days remarkably depressing. Maybe I was traumatized by 3 years in France and England growing up.

I'm pretty OK with cold, if the high is zero but it's clear and calm I'm fine. I've been in Montana the last 29 years so I guess it goes without saying that cold isn't a big issue to me. I'm not overly fond of heat, but it's still not depressing in the same way as overcast. Maybe the sunshine issue is related to the SADD phenomenon we read about.

Weatherman
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  16:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have spent most of my life in northern Quebec and northern Ontario, summers are short and winters are long, not at all uncommon to get snow in May, however the humidity is low and the sky is bright, lots of sunny days in the winter. I find the humidity in southern Ontario difficult to handle and the winters dreary what with the smog and the rain. Would I return? certainly, despite the long winters the weather is still more cheerful, the skies are alit with a million stars, and the smog is practically nonexistent, however my life is here now , so is my family, so I put up with what the weatherman brings and tell myself that rain or shine any day I wake up is a good day.......
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  16:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't youall come down here to oklahoma? It's been over 100 for about 2 months,every day!! No relief. Very sunny,no rain. It would cure your obsession real fast. Be careful what you wish for.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  16:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey I'm weather obsessed too, my favourite TV station is 'The Weather Network'. Check in at least twice daily, watch the maps, graphs, fronts etc etc, then when hurricane season starts I check on their progress daily. I'm actually more storm obsessed than into nice weather. Been like this for years, and even considered meteorology as a career before flunking out on university physics. I've never correlated weather to pain levels (seems to be a thing for genuine arthritics), but affecting mood on those drab dark days . . . oh yes.
Go to Top of Page

cheeryquery

Canada
56 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  16:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or Arizona which is the definition of hell for me because I truly love changing weather and changing seasons. Good thing, because the temperature range is 40 below to 40 above where I live.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have definitely had weather related TMS. My boyfriends sister lived with us for a good part of a year, and I was constantly stewing inside. At that time my allegies seemed to be triggered by cold (she used to like to have the AC on high) and dust (she wasn't good about vacuuming). How convenient for my mind that cold and dust allergies are part of popular culture now! For that period, if I wore a shirt that was not tucked into my pants, and if I felt any air on the small of my back, I would have a sneezing fit that lasted for minutes. I wore turtlenecks all year round because my neck felt sensitive to cold too.

I guess during that time, I did check the weather a lot, to make sure I was 'adequately' dressed. This is in atlanta, where the lowest it goes during the day in winter is 40F.

After she left, those symptoms pretty much died down. :)

Art, you say a last thing a TMS person needs is anger...but maybe it is a good oppurtunity to use that anger to find out what else is bothering you at the moment. I use to feel so frustrated at my sneezing fits, I wish at that time, I had just gone into a closed room, and yelled about our houseguest, or punched a pillow while thinking it was her.

Edited by - ndb on 08/25/2006 17:37:59
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Susie

Why don't youall come down here to oklahoma? It's been over 100 for about 2 months,every day!! No relief. Very sunny,no rain. It would cure your obsession real fast. Be careful what you wish for.

I actually love extremely hot weather...When we recently had 100+ temps with high humidity I would wait til noon to run, just to make sure I got the full brunt of it...

I think part of it is that the world often feels like such a cold and inhospitable place...Around here it's often raining, or cold, or windy, or something that's not nice...

The warm/hot/sunny weather is like an atmospheric hug or something...I can't get enough of it.

quote:
Art, you say a last thing a TMS person needs is anger...but maybe it is a good oppurtunity to use that anger to find out what else is bothering you at the moment. I use to feel so frustrated at my sneezing fits, I wish at that time, I had just gone into a closed room, and yelled about our houseguest, or punched a pillow while thinking it was her.

Good point ndb

Edited by - art on 08/25/2006 18:02:28
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like extremely hot weather too. I think because it makes me feel good that most other people can't bear it, and I hate air conditioning/used to blame my allergies on it. It gave me a feeling of revenge for the winter when I would always be sick.

It sounds totally weird, but I would always feel stupid and weak in the winter because people didnt understand why I got sick so easily, so I had great feelings of vindication in the summer.

Edited by - ndb on 08/25/2006 18:07:50
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ndb

I like extremely hot weather too. I think because it makes me feel good that most other people can't bear it, and I hate air conditioning/used to blame my allergies on it. It gave me a feeling of revenge for the winter when I would always be sick.

It sounds totally weird, but I would always feel stupid and weak in the winter because people didnt understand why I got sick so easily, so I had great feelings of vindication in the summer.

This made me smile because I'm actually the same way in that I enjoy and take pride in my ability to handle the heat, even run in it when no one else even wants to be out walking...I love the comments I get, which sometimes aren't all that nice

Here's something very weird I just thought of...when I was a kid, I'd go sit in my father's car on hot days, treating it like a sauna..

We TMS'ers can be a strange bunch, eh?

Edited by - art on 08/25/2006 18:28:40
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art says : We TMS'ers can be a strange bunch, eh?

So true, but on the plus side, we KNOW and admit that we are, which is more than the majority will admit to, maybe we are more self confident than we realise.....anyhow I love sitting out in the rain, love the sound of it and the smell of a summer rain, makes me feel peaceful inside ( unless it is coming up in my basement like it used to )

Go to Top of Page

redskater

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Susie, where are you in OK? We live in Okc on the border of Edmond. And you are right, it has been way too hot for me this year, thank goodness the TMS monster has gone away and I can spend my days in the ice rink!

Gaye
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Marietta. I think it's hard to realize how hot 108 is for such a long period of time. I've seen it like this for maybe a week straight but never 2 months with no break. The ground has huge fissures in it and there is absolutely no grass. Livestock people are in the midst of a great hardship. No grass and no hay. Alot of people are having to sell all their cattle and horses.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  19:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the weather for you provides a "safe" outlet for your feelings of anger and sadness/depression. I am kind of similar about transit and traffic. Bad driving and illegal cycling make me really angry. I often feel that I'm taking out my anger on something safe, instead of acknowledging what it's really about.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  19:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Susie

I'm in Marietta. I think it's hard to realize how hot 108 is for such a long period of time. I've seen it like this for maybe a week straight but never 2 months with no break. The ground has huge fissures in it and there is absolutely no grass. Livestock people are in the midst of a great hardship. No grass and no hay. Alot of people are having to sell all their cattle and horses.

Susie, I didn't mean to be "flip" about what I realize can be a genuine hardship...I've no doubt that can be very tough on people and animals alike...

Here in New England, it never stays hot for very long, so no worries really...not like you guys...plus, while it's a bit of a cliche, all that talk about dry heat vs. heat with humidity...I don't enjoy the "dry' variety nearly as much...I recall taking a run in Vegas one summer and it was so dry I ended up sucking the sweat off my own arm, just to get some moisture in my mouth...I ended up with a sore throat after that run..

miche, the way you talk about the rain doesn't sound too bad actually...As long as it doesn't last too long!!

Edited by - art on 08/25/2006 19:23:30
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  19:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, I didn't think you were being flip. I'm originally from Ohio and I have lived here for 20 years. I originally moved to get out of the weather. Being in the livestock business makes it really hard to function in the snow and frigid weather. I,too, love the sun and warm weather. The many gray days up north really got to me. I guess extreme anything can be very trying. This is just a day when we were looking for some relief. The heat is supposed to break monday with highs in the 90s. I'm not being facecious when I say that will be fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  19:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, it is fantastic! Sitting on the porch in my rocker, closing my eyes , and just listening.....great stuff...then again , you once said it does not seem to take much to make me happy lol, seriously, anything to do with nature makes me happy, whether it is the rain the park or a beautiful sunset, I used to live a block away from lake Huron, listening to the waves crashing while laying in my water bed was sheer bliss....probably the biggest reason I don't like Hamilton is that it does not have much to offer in that department, smog and the sound of traffic, ugh!!!!
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  20:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NICE TO FIND A WEATHER SOUL MATE!!
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  23:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

I'm exactly like you re: weather preference. The hotter the better. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in AZ. I must be one of the few who like to visit in the Summer as well as the Winter.
The same with running in the heat. I love it.

Sounds like you might have a touch of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) if you are that obsessed about the weather, checking it every day. I notice I tend to feel a little down on overcast days too, but it might be more psychological than biological because it is not extreme.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  11:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can relate to a lot of this. I hate the cold and love the heat. I don't like humidity, though. Vegas is excessively dry, though, isn't it? I remember once driving through Death Valley and when we stopped for lunch I got my sand wiches out. Before I'd finished eating them the bread had dried out.

I also feel "pride" in being a chilly person and being able to bear the heat (putting a sweater on when people around me are sweating).

But I've thought that this may be another form of TMS as I don't think my excessive sensisivity to the cold is normal.

I don't check the weather all the time. There's not much point here, it's nearly always cold. :-( (But sometimes I check the world forecast to see where I'd like to be..)

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000