TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Need help explaining night pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  07:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand things, the reason TMS people have night pain, is because when we are asleep, our unconcious/subconcious mind has taken over and the gremlins are allowed to come out and wreak havoc, bringing upsetting thoughts to the surface or at least trying to. So if the purpose of TMS pain is to distract us from upsetting thoughts, and when we are asleep, our concious is turned off, how is it possible for the pain to be there as a result of the brain implementing a distraction? Put another way, if our concious mind is asleep, how does it know to throw pain there to protect or distract us from the upsetting stuff that the unconcious/subconcious is trying to bring to the surface? Or maybe I have it all wrong, if so can someone clarify? Because I have so much pain upon wakening and I thought I understood this but now I don't. Thx

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  09:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember: your unconscious mind is illogical.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  11:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary,

I think what Shari says has merit. Who knows what goes on in our sleeping brains/minds? Who even knows what goes on in our waking minds half the time?

I get an awful lot of night pain, which I consider TMS, or benign at any rate, cause when I wake up in the a.m. it's almost always gone, or will be shortly. And that's a good thing cause some of that pain is fairly intense, and even a bit scary.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  18:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maryalma8

...I thought I understood this but now I don't...

All I can say is, don't waste time trying to understand the how or why. The bottom line is we just don't know. Dr. Sarno has proposed various theories but it is likely that the true mechanisms of TMS is beyond our current comprehension of the human brain.

Rather than trying to understand the "why", "when", or "how bad" of the symptoms, I find it more useful to just treat the symptoms as random occurrences. Regardless of why they occur, the treatment is the same.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000