TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Forum Reorganization?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  08:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The site has grown to a point where it may be worthwhile to create several different sub-topics for better organization.

Please let me know if you think this would be useful, and if you have any suggestions for sub-topics.

For example, the current topics would be renamed "TMS General Topics" and we will create several additional topics such as "Success Stories", "Support Groups", "Doctor Recommendations", etc.

Feel free to disagree with this idea. For one thing, it may not be as convenient for some people to have to scan more than one group.

redskater

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  08:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be great. All the same Q's get asked over and over. I would have loved to find success stories all together when I was really suffering. It took sooo much time trying to go back through all the archives to find something.
Good idea.

Gaye
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the forum as it is because, like you say Dave, it takes just one scan, however, I do think that a separate Success Stories section would be beneficial.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I think that could be a really great idea. I'm a sometimes visitor and it's hard to keep track of stuff if you're not on the board all the time.

I've started a thread about all the different symptoms people had and wouldn't it be cool if you could just go to a subfolder listed symptoms???

Or a subfolder listed techniques (I shared one of mine recently).

And of course, someone mentioned success stories. My experience with my TMS was that I need/ed constant reaffirmation and wouldn't it be great if whatever I needed (technique, symptoms, success) could be found with just a click of a folder??
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it just the way it is. One scan of topics with most recently updated first.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Some minor changes may be good. Overall the the board is great !

Some suggestions for board layout modifications:

* A section for "TMS PSYCHOLOGY FUNDAMENTALS". Dr. Sarno's latest book emphasizes psychology over "symptomolgy" much more than his previous books. Individual symptoms, or the mechanics of their creation, are not as significant as understaning the under-lying psycholgical roots of TMS and the theory.

It is becoming increasingly evident to me, that an understanding of the funamentals of pscychology--the id, ego and super-ego stuff--is very important to achieveing a TMS "cure".

* Newbees ocasionaly mistakenly post in the "HELP AND SUGGESTIONS" section. Maybe it could be better differentiated from the main "MESSAGE BOARD".

* Separate buttons for "TMS LINKS" and "TMS RELATED BOOKS AND OTHER RESOURCES" placed on top of the page to make them easier to find and to do research.

* A link to Tarpit Yoga's TMS section to further help people find TMS practitioners.

Thanks for maintainig the board Dave. You do a Solomonic job!

Regards,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 08/11/2006 10:51:08
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one suggestion: since some like the board how it is, and others find that it would be better to have sub-topic folders, maybe we could have both. The main page--where new and active threads show up in order of recent activity--would stay the same, so people could have easy access to current topics. Once topics became inactive for a certain amount of time (somewhere between one week and one month?) they would be archived into sub-topic folders. Would this constant archiving be too time-consuming for you, Dave? Would it be possible to archive old topics monthly?

SS
Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  14:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only concern would be would you have the same thread in mulitiple folders and sub folders since a lot of posts are cross curriculum in that they may cover more than one topic. Maybe a more sophisticated search engine for the forum or if possible a way to "organize" the forum how the user sees fit from 1-3 different models. I don't know how hard that would be to do as I am not a programmer.

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  18:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Thanks for all your hard work in keeping the TMSHelp Forum on the air.

As several others have replied, bulletin board type forums are difficult to cross-reference topics amoungst sub-topics without copy/paste (yuk). My opinion is if you do indeed decide to add sub-topics, only add one, maybe 2 at the most if you have to.

I'm a big fan of SEARCH, and I've mentored many members to try it. Unknown if this is helping.

One thing that is for certain, however, is the increase in the number of daily posts over the last year. Most of the increase is "support group" posts. I'd guess the daily post count is 2 to 3 times what it was a year ago.

That said, I'd like the core forum to return more to its roots, meaning discussion / debate on the TMS mechanics / philosophy.

This might mean as you suggest renaming the base forum to "TMS General Topics", and creating one new "Support Groups" forum.

Other than that I would like to ask everyone else out there to start fewer new posts, and instead post more replies to the topics you have already started. If you want to give a day-by-day journal of your progress / questions, that's ok, just do it in one topic not 50.

So, my net recommendation would be start one addtional forum.

Best regards, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 08/11/2006 18:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  23:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
I think this forum is pretty perfect the way it is and I am very grateful to you for keeping it running...The only change that might be beneficial, in my view, would be to have a separate Success Stories section some how...
thanks again for everything,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  05:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a separate section for symtpoms, where folks can get specific help on the areas of TMS that they are experiencing at the very moment. So example:
Neck issues
Lower back
Upper back
Feet
IBD
Reflux
Wrists/RSI
Immune system

the list could go on and on but I think it would help so we're not rehasing up old threads
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  10:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it the way it is with the possible exception for a separate section for success stories. I like things nice and simple.

And, yes, Dave, you have being doing a super job. I never miss your postings. They would make a good book supplement to Dr. Sarno.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  10:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest a special section for NON-TMS topics, such as "Dear Abby" journals, Al Gore, the alfalfa culture in Southeast Asia and the like.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  11:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it the way it is though highlighting successes and the new post listing symptoms would be useful.
Anne
Go to Top of Page

JosephB

25 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  01:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about "Irrelevant Topics", for those persons who wish to debate subjects which have nothing at all to do with TMS Help? Seriously, Dave, I like TT's suggestion for "TMS Psychology", which I feel is the primary and most important topic for a true understanding of the TMS Theory, which can oftentimes result in a permanent TMS "cure".
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  07:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A section on an advice column on people's personal lives could go a long way. Seems to me a section where people can post about their personal troubles could help those that like to share and help those that like to give advice. I'm half kidding here, but seriously, there is a LOT of personal strife in people's lives that somehow end up on this board in threads that seem to go on and on. How about separating those?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  10:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second JB's idea for a section on "IRRELEVANT TOPICS", where TMS' ers can socialize or anti-socialize.

Is there a tool in the web-site archetecture that allows the moderator to "move" posts to the proper forum when they are posted in the wrong one?
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  12:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do like the idea of a separate area that would act as a support group and help folks give/receive advice on more personal matters. After all, we all live lives that can get pretty complicated, and the stresses and complications can and do feed TMS. I'd also (somewhat reluctantly) go along with the Irrelevant Topics area, if people are serious about it and really want it, though I wouldn't call it essential.

But separating these areas would allow the main TMS General Topics board to stay more focussed on the original intent.

Other than that, a Success Story area would really work. But I'd agree that creating too many categories could get confusing so I'd prefer that it not be subdivided too much.

Thanks Dave!
Go to Top of Page

Kimakim

17 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  15:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, as a newbie I think a bit more organization would be great...I've spent a lot of hours using the Search function to read through posts and haven't always found exactly what I'm looking for.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,

Kim

Yes, yes, yes...it's TMS (my new mantra!)
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  12:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to the irrelevant topics suggestion, I don't visit this site to debate about Al Gore.

Otherwise I think these categories would work well:

1) Problems people are having, asking for suggestions etc. and

2) Success stories. They're out there, but sometimes hard to find given the large number of posts. Although-I have used the search feature, and it works fairly well.

3) Links to other TMS sites - people could post additions as they find them.

Dave, have you ever considered becoming a writer? I think you could write a very concise, to-the-point book.
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  13:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO, please lets NOT have seperate sections for body parts. We all need help getting our minds OFF Of the physical.

YES, lets have a seperate "Irrelevant subjects" forum for talking about Global Warming, because we are sort of a social group here, now, and we do like to talk about other important things in life.

Also, if the irrelevant subjects forum has lots of posts about people's struggles and woes, so be it. We need to air that stuff sometimes. We have become a group that supports each other - Except for Shari, of course, who doesn't support anybody (Just KIDDING ).

Thanks for all your work on this board, Dave, and for asking our opinion.

Beth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000