TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Goal Setting - The Right Way
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  09:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been reading a very interesting ebook on how to get the things your really want in life and how to correctly set goals. Found this little test very interesting. Try it if you like:

Without taking the time to think about it, write down your #1 goal before reading on.

Ok, here's the checklist:

1) Did you start writing right away without thinking? If so, continue on, if not you're out of the game.

2) What was the first word you wrote down? If it was "To" (i.e. To have less pain in my back) then you're out. All goals must start with "I"

3) Still in there? Good. What was the 2nd word you used? It will probably be a verb but it's the tense that matters. If it's in the future tense (i.e. I will, To be) then you're out. If it's in the present tense (i.e. I have, I own, I drive) then continue on.

4) Did you have any kind of completion date on your goal? If you did, that's another strike against you. Other than emergency goals, do not set dates for your goals. They just create anxiety.

5) Was you goal a financial goal? If so, you're out again. Money isn't a goal. It's a means to an end, a destination.

What was the point of all this? It's from a fascinating ebook I just read called "Success Engineering" by Phil Gosling. In my opinion it's very relevant to our TMS issues. Kind of along the line of "name it and claim it" beliefs. It's how positive affirmations change your world, your luck, finances, etc.

Goals have to be in the present and believable. For example, I have been repeating daily (out loud affirmation) one of my goals that "I am very healthy and full of energy. I have a very strong back." If my goal was "To be free of back pain" that is not in the now and puts doubts in my mind of whether I can be free of pain or not in the future. By believing I already am, I will be

He goes into detail on how money is not a goal. For example, a goal could be to own your own successful home business. Based on that goal, money will be in the picture if needed, but money itself shouldn't be the goal.

I have an electronic copy for anyone who is interested, as the book goes into much more detail. It's about 85 pages. I will say some of his theories seem "out there" but I'm sure they said the same thing about Sarno. Just read it with an open mind

It has opened my eyes to a new way of setting goals and getting what I want out of life. The only thing left is putting it all into practice... with confidence. It will take some time and practice but it has much potential just as Sarno's theories do.

I've seen some of the power already of positive affirmation just from reading Sarno and challenging my pain. My back hasn't felt this good in years. Now I am going to get the other things in life I truly desire.

Cheers.

Jay
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000