TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Boston doctor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed there is a TMS doctor in the Boston area - some Eastern European name. Has anyone been to see him? Is he recommended?

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eugenio Martinez - Dedham. He's ok
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  08:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'm getting somewhat frustrated. Two weeks ago the pain went away almost entirely. I went to therapy on Friday and right after that it came back with a vengeance. Now it hurts in positions that used to be comfortable. It's like it adapted to my adaptation, changed the rules so that it would get my attention. I'm trying to acknowledge it and blow it off, remaining fairly upbeat. But it's not going away. Darn.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  09:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi FF,

Sounds like the TMS "symptom imperative" at work.

For a list of TMS practitioners in Mass. link to this directory from the Tarpit Yoga site.

Good Luck.

http://www.tarpityoga.com/directory.html
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now what? It is trying to get my attention, getting smarter and more painful. I'm new to this...
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ready just to go out on disability and get drugged up for life. This whole battle just seems pointless.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want lasting relief you need to change your attitude. Is it really "pointless?" If this is how you feel I suggest therapy.

Two weeks is nothing. Some people need two years.

Do the work and take a long term view. Don't try to track your progress, and when you get frustrated, just focus even more on the work.

It's not easy. It takes focus, time, diligence, and continued belief that if you do the work, the pain will resolve itself.
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  12:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange - I was fine until I went to therapy. Right afterwards it came back. Problem is the mind game is hard to play when you're in pain.

This is horrible. Pain for no good reason.
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  13:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyefisher
Pain for no good reason.

Maybe for no good reason, but for a reason nonetheless. If your unconscious feels that "dangerous" thoughts are about to break out to consciousness (which is probably what happened when you went to therapy--psychotherapy, I assume), your unconscious started fighting hard to keep you focused on your physical pain. You have to fight back by focusing on the psychological, or the unconscious wins.
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  14:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell you it was so weird. I was walking on air without pain for two weeks. Then having done nothing besides going to therapy, bam terrible pain. It is still hard to grasp that this can be happening as such. The brain can actually play these games. I buy the TMS consciously, but unconsciously and 'belief-wise', I'm not all the way there yet. Maybe that's why it's hard at this point.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  14:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure you really need to believe TMS with all your heart and soul...That's a lot of pressure right there, and in my view of things pressure is stress, and stress is bad. It gets in the way of healing and can worsen and/or bring on symptoms...

I've been at this for well over a year now, and there's still part of me that doubts...And yet at the same time, I've had much success. There's always going to be a part of me that wonders about things like placebo effects, and "coincidence" etc etc...The good news is it just doesn't seem to matter....

Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  18:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flye

It appears to me that you could benefit with more knowledge regarding TMS and Dr. Sarno.

Have you read any of his books, particularly Mind Over Back Pain? Have you read his chapter on treatment? Do you understand what Dave means when he says "do the work?"

When the pain starts moving around it is a good sign that you are making progress.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  19:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Allan. I understand how the pain moves around and why and I grasp the entire Sarno concept. I have read the mind over back pain book twice now...

The 'do the work' part is where I'm not sure. I mean, I can convince myself and all and that has helped a few times, and for the most part exercising again has helped.

Incidentally today I cleared up a collection problem (I have good credit and some lawyer shark was chasing $50 from 7 years ago threatening to destroy my credit and hopes for our new home) and the back pain went down by 75%. Guess I know what was behind it. That and the visit to the shrink.

But I digress.. I see that guy Schechter has a workbook out there. Is that worthwhile? Of course I'm going to take your advice and read Sarno's 'do the work' piece.

Thanks - this stuff is really helpful. I get bummed, but the pain really brings on the downs and depression. It's a very tough battle.

Jayson
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  08:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyefisher
The 'do the work' part is where I'm not sure. I mean, I can convince myself and all and that has helped a few times, and for the most part exercising again has helped.

"The work" is clearly spelled out in the treatment section of The Mindbody Connection. It goes beyond what you describe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000