TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Colds and flu-like symptoms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randolo

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  15:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been sick off and on, mostly on, for about 8 months. Sometimes colds, sometimes just really low-grade flu-like symptoms, i.e. weak and rundown with achy joints and rumbly gut but no nausea or diarrhea.

I've thought it was stress and living w/a daughter who brings bugs back from preschool but lately I'm wondering if it's a TMS equivalent. I've experienced a reduction in my chronic musculoskeletal pain over the past couple years (woohoo!), plus the timing coincides with a potentially very scary (especially in a deep way that I'm not all that conscious of) career opportunity that opened up about 8 months ago and I'm still exploring/debating. Sparing you the details it's come out in therapy that these symptoms might be a way of sabotaging myself from pursuing this option. (especially because the former musculoskeletal pain is not as available to sabotage myself as it once was).

Have any of you experienced a lot of colds and/or flu-like symptoms? Is this a common way for TMS to manifest itself? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Randolo

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  19:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting or not getting a cold would be related to the auto-immune system. TMS certainly can manifest itself this way. I have witnessed myself stopping and starting, getting colds.

If there is something I really want to do, I can suppress the cold or play through it. If I don't want to do something, and need an excuse--or feel like I want to be sick, (the Western form of meditation), I have given myself permission to succumb to a cold. I seldom get colds anymore, but when I do, it's usually on my time-table and I enjoy it like a mental health day, loungeing around, reading, watching TV and napping.

I have witnessed myself doing this--mind over body. I learned how to do this, when I was going to school. I learned how to fake being sick to get out of taking tests that I hadn't prepared for or turning in papers that weren't ready--professional slacking.

Go to Top of Page

Nor

152 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  20:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randolo,
I have had very similar experiences as you and I know it was TMS. I would get periods of malaise for no apparent reason w/aches, stomache not right, etc. It would come and go at random and usually cropped up when my other symptoms were quiet. Typical TMS. Sounds like your musculoskeletal pain went away and your subconscious decided to try something else.

Dr. Sarno covers this in his work. These symptoms are often tossed into the categories of chronic fatigue syndrome/fibro/myofascial pain by traditional medicine. Sarno says its all TMS. Nor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000