TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS and sleeping / eating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  13:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there are many TMSers out there who continue to have pain during the night--some are even awoken by the pain. On the flip side, has anyone experienced relief from symptoms while asleep/unconsious? I've always been a "good sleeper" (have always enjoyed it and usually sleep a full 9-10 hrs if I am able) and see this time as a period of healing (reparing, restoring) for the body and mind. Though my pain/tension (neck and shoulders as of the past 3 mo.) is always present during the day and is aggrivating/unbearable at times, it does not wake me up at night. I've only awoken a few times from pain, and this was due to a severe migraine attack.

Along the same lines, I've noticed a lessening of pain (sometimes a complete disappearance) during eating. The pain slowly returns 10-20 minutes after I'm done eating. (For me, this occurs specifically with headaches, migranes, and, to a lesser extent, neck pain/tension.) I know this might sound strange; has anyone else experienced this? I wonder why it occurs. This response is totally fascinating to me. Does it happen because the act of eating provides a considerable distraction, or might there be something chemical/biological about it? Endorphins?

Thanks!

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  13:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sonora,
I have been in an acute neck TMS attack for 2 months now and at this stage the pain doesn't wake me in the night at all...I feel best in the first moments of being awake after sleeping through the night...The pain becomes worse as the day goes on for me...I think it is just conditioning...I remember doctors telling me in the past that my neck is best in the AM because the discs have not had the weight of my head on it all day...Probably hog wash, as I said..just conditioning...But powerful conditioning, indeed...
As for eating, I haven't noticed that..but it makes sense that it could be a distraction or just endorphins like you said..especially if you are eating something yummy like chocolate, pizza or ice cream!
I welcome any pain free moments I can get by whatever means...as long as it's natural...
Hope this helps in some way,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

flyefisher

48 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  14:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I generally had little to no pain at all nights. Sometimes I did have a little and it usually meant the next day I would have a lot of pain. It generally indicated some nasty dreams and the whole avoidance thing was going on. If I get the pain now, I wake up and take 5 minutes to talk to myself and say it's all garbage, now let's get on with the day...
Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  14:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have noticed that while eating and for a few moments after create less pain. I always figured it's because I have somewhat of an eating problem and am addicted to food. I jest with people and say it's as hard for me to quit eating fattening foods as it is for someone to quit smoking. It's really the same thing, takes your mind off other things, and gives your body something to do and "relax" if that's how your body is attuned to do it. Granted I can go more than a day without fattening foods and not jones for it but can't say I can last a week or more!!!!

As for sleeping, it depends how much I have on my mind before I go to bed as to the quality of my sleep. Now when I was on tramadol/ultram I slept all the time it seems. It's harder to sleep as much without meds...ok I am on the lowest dose possible of lyrica at night but still. Plus I really don't know if it's doing anything or not and I would really like to know before I have to refill as it's a $50 copay WITH insurance per month (new non preferred medication but neurontin was bad for me).

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  14:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I relate to what you said, Ali Cat about the food addiction, big time...I use food as another distraction from the inner pain too!
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do admit that I sometimes eat (or overeat) to temporarily "fill the void" (isn't that the American way?), but I am generally referring to normal eating (snacks and meals in moderation). My husband and I *are* foodies, so we do enjoy yummy cuisine. But I feel like it is more than distraction. TV and movies are distracting, but they never give me a respite from TMS pain, no matter how engaged I am. I wonder if the nourishing aspect of food has anything to do with it. Either way, it somehow temporarily interrupts the mindbody pathway of TMS, breaking the link between the unconsious mind and the physical pain. Thanks for your input!
Go to Top of Page

wolf29

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  19:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I feel best in the first moments of being awake after sleeping through the night...The pain becomes worse as the day goes on for me...I think it is just conditioning...

I'm the same way. No problem sleeping at all. My main issue has usually been sitting for long periods of time. Again conditioning as I've been told that sitting puts more compression on your spine and the lower back where I have my pain. Not buying it any more. It's just physical thinking that I have to decondition myself from.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In The Mindbody Prescription, Sarno talks about the rage/soothe ratio, and how he believes that if we have too much rage and not enough soothing in our lives, then we will have TMS pain. So food, whatever kind of pleasure it gives, probably contributes to the soothe part of the equation, thus alleviating pain.

Doesn't explain the sleep thing, though. :)

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Munching might release the tension in your jaw and tm joints thus relieving the headaches, neck tension.

anne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000