TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 pinched nerve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soccr234

4 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  21:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a nerve and muscle EMG test done today and the doc told me that I had 2 pinched nerves in my low back, one on each side, which are causing my low back pain and burning sensation when I sit down. I feel like this makes sense because she said it was worse on the left than the right, and my pain is also worse on the left than the right. However, it's depressing to me because I've tried physical treatments before and they haven't helped. But I feel like I have to pursue this pinched nerve diagnosis because it will always cause doubt in my mind about TMS if I don't. I'm so frustrated with all of this. Any input would be helpful.

Danny

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  21:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got told that a number of my vertabre were fusing together and I had spinal degeneration, ( he actually showed me) I had to take care of my spine for the rest of my life. I worried about how I sat, and lifted........I was 22. these days, I'm 29, I slouch in my chair and lift with my back, I can sit all day long with no problem. When you go to the quack and tell him your back hurts he’ll look for a cause and 9 times out of 10 they’ll find something. Maybe those nerves look like they could be getting pinched, so the doctor has to make that call to appease you and save his arse from a lawsuit. Read Dr Sarno's book and you'll see that there is no direct correlation between pain and physical abnormalities. Why is it backpain is so huge in western countries, I wonder how many Africans complain of backpain? My advise to you is this.

If you accept the physical diagnosis you could end up becoming a weak beaten man who lives by the rule of his back. Stick with TMS and you'll take the power back. Keep an open mind, and if your pain begins to move around or gets worse with stress....then you've got TMS.
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  08:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. Dr. Sarno specifically talks about pinched nerves and says that they are very rarely an issue. That they are so over-diagnosed as the culprit. Same with disc herniations. They so rarely cause issues with the "jelly" substance pressing on nerves (in other words pinched nerves from the herniation) that it's amazing how many people go under the knife or are admonished about all their movements. Hang in!
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, abnormalities on EMG can be seen with TMS. Carpal tunnel syndrome is frequently seen on EMG, although it is likely a TMS equivalent. Similarly, evidence of radiculopathy (pinched nerve) can also be seen in some cases. It is probable that the oxygen deprivation to the nerve causing symptoms can cause damage to the nerve which can be picked up on EMG; this abnormality doesn't necessarily mean there is a compression of the nerve (eg herniated disc). If you feel your problem is consistent with TMS, don't let the EMG results stop you.

Naturally, consult with your doctor before making any treatment decisions.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  11:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DrZiggles,
I wrote to you at your regular email and never heard back from you..Did you receive it?
Thanx,
Karen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000