TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 hot fun in the summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have had the feeling that I "should" be happy and yet I am not. I have it most days still (even though I am happier than in some times past). I find it helpful to acknowledge that this is only one more pressure I am putting on myself, and if I am not happy, then I am not, and it's better if I find out why than believe that I should feel other than I do. In terms of not previously being aware of the unhappiness, I don't feel like it's that we have necessarily been "detached" in the traditional sense, but that the unconscious has been working very hard to keep us unaware.

When I feel pain, especially if I don't know the reason and/or it persists for more than a few hours, I do still get upset about that. I think it's just part of the recovery thing. It takes time to get really on top of TMS. Right now I have some neck stuff bugging me that is kind of getting me down, but I'm trying to take it as just a reminder to get back to the work.

And the way to deal with it, I think, is just to do the work, to get familiar with the ins and outs and ups and downs of ourselves, so we can understand and deal with the things that bother us and not need any TMS crutches.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  00:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seth

But it's true that no amount of medication can alleviate this feeling, you must overcome it yourself, right? I'm just struggling with how to do this.

Seth

Seth, I am reading Sarno's latest book The Divided Mind and he states that if his patients are not "cured" by his program then they need psychotherapy and that meds are not the answer and only offer a chemical placebo, temporary cure. Depression is a TMS emotional equivalent, a substiute for physical TMS pain.

I believe that you said you are a patient of Dr. Sarno's and are seeing one of his psychotherapists--is that correct? I asked in a previous post to you, what your therapist is doing to help you and you seem to be avoiding answering.

If this is getting too personal for you or if I have my facts wrong, please let me know and I will desist from responding to your posts.

If you are seeing a psychotherapist then, they should be helping you with your "struggle". If they aren't then you should consider finding one who can help you.

Regards,
tt
Go to Top of Page

lobstershack

Australia
250 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  07:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right TT, I'm going to bring these issues up in therapy when I go this week.

And I don't feel that blue today. But I must stress, the meds keep me from sinking way low. I just had these expectations that since I finally know what's wrong with me and I'm on the road to recovery that I shouldn't feel this way. That I should be jumping for joy. So in a way, not meeting this expectations is what's getting me down.

But you know what, I'm so very glad that I discovered all this unhappiness inside of me, this just might be the icing on the cake.

And Anne, thanks for the encouraging words. You're right, the worst is behind me.

Seth
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a year and a half since I first read the MBP. Last summer I had some horrible depressed spells - quite scary - but they are becoming less and less. Probably a day or so every couple of months now. I haven't worked out what triggers them - possibly something angering that is beyond my control but I haven't pinpointed it exactly.

I also felt unhappy but that might be because I am no longer such a goodist so the necessity to be nice and cheerful to please others isn't there now. But I did read some of The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, don't think I quite finished it - it is quite spiritual - but it advises living for the moment - not living for the future when "you'll be more sociable and make new friends" or "move to a friendlier town" or "start that new career" or "lose weight" or "cure your TMS problem" - something I have been guilty of all my life.
You might find it helpful Seth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000