TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Another view on the "gremlin"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  16:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired a book called Getting Unstuck, and the following passage (pp. 182-83) struck me that it could almost be describing TMS (he is describing anxiety, which as we all know is an equivalent). I have heard many on this board refer to TMS as a "gremlin" and thought this provided a nice extension of that metaphor.

"...behavioral scientists often compare fear to a monster living in a cave. Periodically the monster comes out into the open to attack you and bring on the painful, panicky symptoms I described earlier. To avoid these feelings, you do anything and everything you can to make sure the monster stays in his cave -- where you cannot see him and are unlikely to be hurt by him. Of course, the monster is perfectly happy to stay in his cave, because he knows he still controls your life and your behavior. Without lifting so much as a finger has has you where he wants you -- stuck and afraid to do anything to get unstuck.

To rid yourself of year and regain lost control, you must lure the monster out of his cave and whack him on the head until he can no longer harm you."

I really like how clear this makes the similarity between TMS and anxiety, and gives a nice view on how the fear of pain can control you.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.

Edited by - armchairlinguist on 08/02/2006 14:30:10

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  17:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by armchairlinguist
To rid yourself of year and regain lost control, you must lure the monster out of his cave and whack him on the head until he can no longer harm you

How do you do that? Do you revisit the emotions that trigger anxiety?
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  20:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't so much wack him on the head as call his bluff. When I feel that yucky uneasy feeling I get that I now recognize as my gremlin, I invite him out and just stare at him. Just like with a real bullly, that seems to make him shrink down and rob him of his power over me.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  14:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would consider smacking the monster to be the equivalent of the choice to return to activity, no longer letting the monster control you, or challenging the pain. In terms of what the book is saying, he suggests a couple of things regarding anxiety, including relaxation exercises and desensitization through visualization.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  21:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Psychological String Theory," I love that! It says it all!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000