TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hypoglycemia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  14:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious if anyone out there has had any episodes of hypoglycemia that they have successfully treated. I've had it in the past and this last week things have been really bothering me and it has been flaring up worse. I'm eating every couple of hours because if I don't I feel like I'm going to pass out. Also, today I had an episode where my hands were shaking so hard it scared my daughter. I drank some juice and ate something and eventually it stopped but now I'm scared for when it's going to happen again. I used to get it in the past but haven't gotten it like this in awhile. Any thoughts?

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  12:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do not have protein, I have similar reactions. You have to eat protein at every meal. Your pancreas secretes 2 hormones: insulin, which burns up carbohydrates and glycogon which halts insulin's action. It is protein which stimulates the production of glycogon. In addition to juice to bring the sugar up, you need some type of protein to turn off the insulin.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  10:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura,

I too have hypoglycemic syptoms, and have had them all my life (46 years), in addtion to TMS since my late teens.

While I have been mostly successful treating my TMS symptoms (LBP, sciatica, migraines, IBS, MVP), the hypoglycemia although mild still is there and uneffected. Like yourself, I just have to make sure I don't skip a meal and if I burn up all my sugar earlier than expected I have to get some slow sugar (fructose) into my system to get me by. A little extra protein late in the afternoon also helps. I can often twart an incoming migraine with a Cola Cola (fast sugar and caffeine), that effort usually causes me some blood sugar grief later in the day (in addition to a caffeine withdrawal headache maybe the next day).

In my case I have not identified a TMS / Hypoglycemia connection, they are just both there and I have to manage them carefully so the management doesn't conflict with the other.

Take care, -Stryder.
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  11:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might want to try the Zone diet- http://www.zoneperfect.com.It's really a very healthy way of eating that emphasizes proper ratios of carbs/protein/fat/(40-30-30). Unfortunately the Atkins diet (which is not especially healthy) got all of the attention, because Americans like stuff like that. The Zone diet is very effective at controlling insulin output, and keeping blood sugar on an even keel.
Go to Top of Page

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  20:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you. I have read the Zone books and that is where I got the info on glycogon, the other hormone that is produced in the pancreas.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  23:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for your input. I will definitely look into trying the Zone diet. I have been trying to keep my blood sugar levels stable with juice and some protein and things seem much more under control. Maybe just recognizing this as just another TMS problem made it run for cover and go away because it was really bad and now it's not. I thought Dr. Sarno talked about it in one of his books but still haven't looked to see.
Go to Top of Page

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  08:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MBP, p.121.
Go to Top of Page

Jim D.

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  15:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once I was having periods of weakness, felt as if I was going to faint, so I had a lengthy test for hypoglycemia. All during the test I had the symptoms I had been experiencing. But when I got the results, my blood sugar level was normal the entire time of the test! I didn't know about TMS then, but I have no doubt that's what it was.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000