TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Placebo Effect
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robbie

6 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  12:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I am new to the idea of TMS and reading through the books and posts and really trying to grasp the idea of TMS and how to deal with it. I have no doubt that my symptoms are somewhat emotional, but still not convinced they are 100% TMS. I have had constant 24/7 foot pain for 1.5 years, wakes me up at night, haven't been to a grocery store in over a year, talking life altering pain as most of you have experienced in one way or another. My knees are scared and bleed from crawling around the house. I have been through every conservative treatment for foot pain, including some really far out there stuff. I have had all of the tests, etc. I didn't have an injury - woke up one day with discomfort that turned into pain within one week. I have had all tests done and nothing comes back "wrong". The only thing "wrong" is the massage therapist can feel some soft tissue problems - but wondering if that is from being inactive so long. I think I've had my whole body MRI from my back down and enough blood taken to support the Red Cross for a year.

What I am curious about from all of you is on the placebo effect Sarno mentions. I haven't gotten the placebo effect of feeling better from anything - not two rounds of physical therapy, massage therapy, orthotics, etc. Are there any of you out there that the pain is not lessened (and never has been) by anything? Does not getting the placebo effect mean that your pain has a really strong hold over you? I guess I'm just having a hard time convincing myself as my pain doesn't really move around too much in my body (it moves around w/in my foot only) and there is no change/increase in the pain when the foot is touched. It is a constant burning sensation and I feel like my foot is ripping when I move it in any direction. I know I need to read and do the work, I'm still just trying to familiarize myself with this all and figure out what I need to be doing. From what you all are reading of my post, does this sound like TMS. I know you can't diagnose from a paragraph, but is there anything that does NOT sound like TMS that I am mentioning? Thanks!

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  13:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried all sorts of treatments and surgeries over 20 years for my left leg sciatica which has always been worst in the ankle and foot. Nothing helped. So I got no placebo effects....Being serious about Sarno has improved my pain level about 85% plus I can now do most of the activities that I couldn't or was afraid to do over those years - and I'm working on the few activities that I'm still conditioned to receive pain from....I am different than you, however, in that the level of pain fluctuated and in that I have plenty of other symptoms that appear to be TMS as well.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having had placebo effect and pain not moving round the body doesn't mean it's not TMS.

Good luck,

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  07:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Robbie,

You are lucky. You have found out about TMS. This is your WAKE UP CALL!

Here are one of my favourite lines I read here on the TMSHelp Forum...

A few weeks ago I read Dr. Sarnos book and it was like being woken from a nightmare.
-- ladyblue

Take a look at this...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2182

TMS is like being in the movie Alien. Its all about fear. TMS breeds fear and uses fear (of the pain) as a weapon against you. You must conquer your fear.

I was once like yourself forced to crawl around the house due to severe low back pain (LBP) and sciatica. I also had plantar fasciitis (which is another TMS manifestation). It took me a couple years to get 99% pain free using what I learned in Dr. Sarno's books, now I do construction part time and play basketball like a normal person.

As the previous replies have said, just because you have TMS does not mean that you must have a placebo effect from unnecessary treatments. It is possible but not required in any way.

Since your docs can find nothing wrong with you, that is your WAKE UP CALL! You have TMS and now its time for you to do the work.

It won't be easy, since your brain is wired to react to what the mainstream medical community has told you forever. Remember, TMS is not your fault, you did not choose to have the TMS personality type.

Remember, the pain is bengin, it will not harm you. Ignore it. Do not equate the pain with injury. There is nothing wrong with your body.

So, now that you have had your wake up call (by the way, did I mention WAKE UP CALL!), start re-reading the books, journal, learn to feel your anger (instead of repressing it), read the many excellent posts and replies in this forum. See a TMS doc or a TMS therapist if you need more help.

You have nothing to loose but your pain.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 06/22/2006 07:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Dj Hojo

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  08:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have just begun dealing with my TMS. Things have been going well, thenkfully.

However, my father died about a month ago, so I have been playing cat and mouse with the pain again. But once you accept the diagnosis, relief is a simple thought away.

I likened my TMS "awakening" to the Matrix:

Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

dj hojo

“There is no spoon.”
-The Matrix

“...there is such medical evidence supporting Dr. John Sarno that I just – I guess I kind of feel like wow, this guy could really save the world.”
-Howard Stern on a Larry King Live show devoted to Dr. Sarno.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000