TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Food intolerances
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  16:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main thing I did was just put up with the reactions without trying to give them any attention. They just were there. I just went on. Eventually I noticed that they were no longer there.

I think after 14 years you have a very ingrained conditioned response. I would start with one food on your list. Eat it and ignore any reactions you may get. Circles under the eye? Ignore it. Tired? Do something that requires energy anyway. Do the opposite of what you're doing now. Don't obsess over any reaction and don't adjust your behaviour--pretend you're not reacting and go on.

This will take some time. But this is how I did it and it worked. I can't say I'm completely symptom-free, but I can say I'm 100% obsession-free. I get a bit of gas? Who cares. So-called normal people fart, so can I! The difference is I don't wonder what I ate that gave me that symptom and obsess with what's going on.

I wish you the best.
Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  17:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary Ann,

Good advice on overcoming long-standing conitioning! Your mentioning "farting" reminded me of a story my yoga teacher once told in class during a long down-ward dog. He was invited to teach in Hong Kong, by some wealthy devotees. They honored him with lunch at a fashionable restaurant. After the fine dining experience the ladies proceeded to fart away to show their appreciaton. When in Rome...
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  19:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The other thing I have noticed is I have very dark circles under my eyes when I drink coffee or eat dairy. How can this be if it is TMS? you see - this will take a lot to convince me!

This was a big sticking point for me too..That is, how can I get so desperately sick....red eyes, utter fatigue, blinding headache....if it's psychosomatic..

I've come to accept that pschosomatic illness does not necessarily mean benign, or "mild" illness...Haven't finished the book, but I see Sarno includes cancer and heart disease in this group...

JUst a bit of history, my first symptom was hypoglycemia...I suffered from this in extreme form for 5 years or so...I'd see this doctor and that doctor and as I started to exhaust the mainstream guys and get into the alternative medicine practitioners (evry bit as quacky as the first group if not more so in my opinion, they'd ask me if I were allergic to any foods...I'm sure now that they planted the idea in my subconscious..

At the time, my girlfriend used to cook a lot of chicken and I remember saying to her, perhaps I shouldn't eat so much chicken 'cause maybe I'll get allergic to it...

In fact, chicken was the first food I began to react to...

I never lost sight of this stuff, and always was deeply skeptical of my own reactions...

Edited by - art on 05/08/2006 19:32:49
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  20:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Mary Ann
Mary Ann, how did you overcome the allergy , asthma, did you go on meds or did you apply the tms? Asthma would be quite scary to tackle without inhalers, how did you do it? Right now I have sinus problems , muscle pain and reflux, plus allergies, would hate to conquer these and have it replaced by asthma, my sister suffers from this, it is worst than what I have in my opinion, strangely after a period of stress in her relationship she started to have terrible allergies, needed two sinus operations, then asthma, when she got these conditions under control she hurted her back at work while lifting a patient and is now on disability, a year later she was diagnosed with breast cancer and is now in remission, strange how I assumed all her problems were due to bad luck.

But over time I have persevered, just not eating everything at once. I think it finally broke when my TMS switched over to allergy/asthma symptoms instead of digestive symptoms! (Which I've since overcome too).

Go to Top of Page

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  21:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miche,
The allergies/asthma are controlled with the help of drugs so perhaps it's overstating that I have overcome them as tms symptoms. But I figure one battle at a time. The key for me is that I'm not obsessing over these. I just take my meds and forget about it. My symptoms (which were quite pronounced about a month ago) are under control now. I figure it will eventually subside. I am already reducing my inhaler dose, and things are still fine.

I've had tms symptoms just about everywhere: back, neck, shoulders, stomach (acid reflux), digestive disorders. Probably other places too. The shoulders were the first chronic problem that I treated with Sarno's methods about 6 years ago and the pain went away permanently. The other symptoms only disappeared when a new one came around. It may be why I can eat again--the allergies have replaced it. But I know the deal so I figure it won't last.

Good luck with your situation.
Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  09:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Ann,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will start with one food at a time and take it slowly - not thinking at all about any reactions. The more I read of other experiences, the more I am beginning to realize that this is ALL psychosomatic. This is going to be a challenge but quite a fun one really!
Go to Top of Page

Neil

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  05:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a two year bout with "sciatica" that was cured in about 8 weeks by listening to Healing Back Pain audio book, my biggest and last hurdle is the hive and angiodema (swelling) allergy that has plagued me for 17 years. The allergist is a great guy who I've seen since 2002, but every 6 months he sees me and grills me about whether I've been around any cats or dogs, have I been moving the lawn without a face mask? Have I been EATING uncooked apples, bannanas, etc. that are supposed to be "cross contaminents" with certain ragweed and grass pollen allergies, blah, blah, blah, etc. The last time I saw him in March of this year, I got him to admit that the mind (even though he thinks it is the conscious mind) could "manifest" these allergies and he said if I could relax it could help (still contract to Sarno, but a step in the psychosomatic direction).

My biggest problem is the progression and my FEAR.

1989-2002 One anti-histamine pill a day if symptoms warrant
2002-2003 One anti-histamine pill a day regardless
2003 Two anti-histamine pills a day one morning, one evening
2004 (Sciatica kicks in) 4 pills (zantac type 2 anti-histamine with each of the other 2) 2 morning 2 evening
2004-2006 One week round of prednisone when "necessary" with 4 pills

I have had 4 one-week rounds of prednisone since July of 2005 alone.

I now refuse to take the extra two pills and I am back down to 2 pills a day.

When I started Healing Back Pain, I went back to eating whatever the heck I wanted! I am 85% convinced that this is another equivalent of TMS (I had a rough childhood, alcoholic parent, divorced parents at 6 years old, some physical abuse as correction for poor behavior)

I need help with this 15%, how do I get over 17 years of a symptom. I eat what I want, but I expect reactions.

I really hope Suz and the rest of us can overcome our so called food allergies and intolerances.

I feel close to the finish line of a race, but dehydrated so much that I know I'll never finish.

Neil

If it is chronic, I will not believe it.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  09:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is it - Neil. When I eat what I want, I EXPECT reactions. This is the same issue that I had for 12 years with the sciatica - which after 18 months hard Sarno work, has GONE! All my pain has gone. It tries to come back and I just laugh and it goes. Surely, the same approach has to be applied with the food.

I have to break my obssession with the "blood type diet" - which has convinced me that I have to avoid certain foods. The book and the doctor is soooo convincing. Also - my lack of symptoms when I eat this way is convincing. However, Sarno has pointed out that diet is a very very successful placebo.
The very fact that this issue is being discussed and addressed on this forum is so wonderful and helpful. If anyone else has any experience with overcoming food allergies, PLEASE post here!
Thank you so much
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000