TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How long does it take?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amv

2 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  16:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had severe back pain for 2.5 weeks and can barely walk at times. I recovered from a similar bout a little over a year ago with the help of Dr. Sarno's book, which I turned to after close to 2 months of physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractors and 2 surgeons who told me they needed to operate right away.

I believe I know what set off the pain, relationship problems, my birthday, 44, and stress at work. Now I have a bunch of additional things to deal with, basically people (at work and around my home) stopping me and asking me what happened?, and telling me what to do? In fact one, this very minute a co-worker tried to give me a print out of the pain management facility he went to during his 2 recent back operations. I refused to take it. I know many of them have the best of intentions it's just limping around hunched over in pain makes me feel awful but people seeing me like this hurts me as well.

In addition my girlfriend was insisting I see a Dr, a physical therapist and or a Chiropractor, she thinks I'm not being pro-active enough in solving my problem. After 2 weeks of explaining to her, on a daily basis, that I went that route before and I no longer believe in it, she now believes I should be making an appointment to see Sarno immediately (I live in NYC). I explained to her that I read Sarnos' books every day and even have the audible version on all night. I just told her to give it a little time. I keep trying to explain Sarno's theory to her. However she refuses to read/ or listen to the books with me, even just 5 minutes worth of the audible version. She did read part of the Larry King interview with Sarno and Howard Stern I emailed her, that mentions it took Howard 1 week. Now she wants to know why, if this works am I not better? And how long will it take? Why am I not going to Sarno and attending his lectures? I just told her I no longer want to discuss it with her. She works me up every time…

vikki

95 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amv,

I really think this varies. It's been 9 months since I seriously started doing Sarno, and I still have *some* pain. (I had constant pain, though, not acute attacks like you seem to have.) I'm doing MUCH better, though, and I truly believe this works. At first I was really upset and frustrated that I didn't have an "instant cure" like some of the people in Sarno's book. But the thing is that impatience can make it take longer. The key for me was to stop *trying* to get rid of it, stop *thinking* about how to get rid of it, and just start doing my normal activities (ignoring it). Now even though I have some pain, it doesn't bother me as much because it doesn't stop me from doing what I want.

As far as getting advice from other people -- I had the same problem. Everyone would try to get me to try their physical therapist or chiropractor or whatever. To put an end to this, I actually told everyone I was better and acted like it. (Even though I was still in a lot of pain, I hid it -- I took strong painkillers when I felt I absolutely couldn't bear it.) This put an end to the conversations about my pain and therefore reduced the conscious attention I was giving to it. I've found that trying to convince others about Sarno's theory doesn't work -- they look at you like you've gone nuts.

Sarno mentions something about sending his patients to psychotherapy if the pain comes back -- and it sounds like this is what happened to you. Have you thought about seeing one of the psychotherapists that Sarno works with?

Vikki
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  21:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've already read Dr. Sarno's book(s) then you have answered many of your own questions.

If you already buy into TMS then there is not much more that you would gain by seeing the man himself except maybe his lecture session with other TMSers.

I think if you continue doing your TMS work you can resolve this on your own. You already mentioned several conscious stressors, and there are likely several unconscious factors that are causing your rage and pain. You need to figure out what's bothering you that you can't consciously list out.

Don't blame your gf for trying to path you down the traditional medicine route, its not her fault. Most people in our society don't "get it" and are not open to the TMS alternative. Years of conditioning and, yes, misinformation is the culprit.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 04/26/2006 21:13:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000