TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Finished mindbody prescription. Now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhr74

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  10:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read the mindbody prescription, and wondered if anyone had some recommended materials to look at next.

I've seen mentions of writings by Fred Amir and Ashok Gupta. I've seen recommendations for materials by Dr. Schechter and Monte Heuftle.

Anyone have opinions on any of these or other helpful materials? Which of these materials do you prefer and why?

Edited by - mhr74 on 02/16/2006 10:19:55

samthefish

23 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Dr. Schechter's workbook and Dvd, the workbook in particular because it give you a "guided journal" which I find very helpful. I looked at Monte Heuftle's page and was turned off - just my personal preference, seemed too "new age" / zen and also a little too focused on selling stuff for my taste. I know some people on this board have found his stuff useful.

I was also annoyed how Fed Amir would go on Amazon and use Dr. Sarno's book reviews as a platform to hawk HIS book. I'm sure Fred and Monte are well intentioned and probably have some good material, but prefer Dr's Sarno and Schenter mainly since I know they've seen thousands of patients with this sort of disorder.

SamTheFish
Go to Top of Page

vikki

95 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  19:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've learned, different approaches seem to work for different people. The Monte Hueftle book is based on a Zen philosophy, and because of that it didn't do much for me -- though I'm sure that approch works for others. Fred Amir's is based on setting up goals and rewards to motivate yourself. I think his book is worth reading if nothing else because of his compelling success story -- I just kept thinking, "This guy was in such horrible shape that if he can recover, so can anyone." I found Dr. Schechter's CD/DVDs helpful -- the DVD especially has several successfully treated patients discussing their experiences. One of the most helpful things for me was to read/hear about success stories from others whom I could relate to -- I would read these over and over again. (But I also think it's possible to read too much -- at least in my case it was. It made me obsess too much about whether I was doing the right things to recover -- which made the problem worse.) Good luck :-)
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  18:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you start going to other materials, I would really take the time and effort to start working with what is right in the Sarno book. If you've read it once--read it again. Keep reading it, especially the last chapter on therapeutics. Start keeping a daily journal. Go through the daily reminders several times a day, especially when you have pain. You can read every book ever written on TMS, but you won't get better until you start really doing the mental heavy lifting that is necessary to beat TMS.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  23:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Ziggles has a very good point. Dr. Sarno does say that it's important to read his book(s) repeatedly. I know that a lot of the material didn't really sink in the first time I read his books. His approach was so different from what I had been used to that it just took time to grasp.

Since you mentioned fibromyalgia in another posting, you might also want to consider "Freedom from Fibromyalgia" by Nancy Selfridge, M.D. She recovered from fibromyalgia herself and then extended Dr. Sarno's approach. A fibromyalgia patient I met recovered from her fibromylgia using "Freedom" plus one of Sarno's books. She liked "Freedom" better, since it has much more emphasis on practical psychological techniques.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  22:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start at the beginning of TMSHelp. I mean, the original forum...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9

...and when you get to the "new" (this) forum start at the back at page 114.

If you have a particular topic or questions try the search...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/search.asp?FORUM_ID=2

Monte Heuftle has posted in the old forum at times, but that's another story. The creator is gary/austingary.

Why? Beacuse reading, and re-reading about the process is so valuable in order to re-train your mind. At this point almost all of your questions have been threaded at least once.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 02/18/2006 22:22:01
Go to Top of Page

mhr74

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drziggles

Before you start going to other materials, I would really take the time and effort to start working with what is right in the Sarno book. If you've read it once--read it again. Keep reading it, especially the last chapter on therapeutics. Start keeping a daily journal. Go through the daily reminders several times a day, especially when you have pain. You can read every book ever written on TMS, but you won't get better until you start really doing the mental heavy lifting that is necessary to beat TMS.

Good luck!

I'm reading the part on therapeutics almost daily.

What do you put exactly in your daily journal?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000