TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Muscle Tightness in Neck /Chest/ Abdominals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lei

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  14:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This is my first post and I am hoping that someone can provide some insight. My husband has had chronic neck pain on the left side for over 5 years now. He has been to neurologists, chiropractors, acupunturists, rolfers, craniosacral therapists, etc. None of the above worked and his MRI did not reveal anything. About several months ago, the muscle tightness on the neck has traveled to his chest and abdominal muscles. He does not have any trigger points to qualify for fibromyalgia nor does he suffer from insomnia or anything. Is this type of chronic muscle tightness in the left side of the neck only which now affects his chest and abdominal muscles TMS? If so, aside from being aware that these symptoms might be psychogenic, where does he start to battle this crippling condition? Does breathing techniques work?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Becca

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  15:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had symptoms that were and are very similar. I started out with neck pain about a year ago that moved into my chest (pectorals) and ribs ( intercostals). I did have a mess of trigger points in that area. Trigger points are not synonymous with fibromyalgia. They can exist together, but you can just have trigger points. I know that Sarnos work says that physical interventions for TMS are only placebos, but I had great results using a book called the trigger point therapy workbook by Claire Davies. I was able get control of those trigger points (they do flare up every once in a while). I still have nick pain/stiffness and tension, which are not trigger poiint related. When you really suffer from trigger points you can tell the difference. I hope thi helps-R
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  21:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lei
He has been to neurologists, chiropractors, acupunturists, rolfers, craniosacral therapists, etc. None of the above worked and his MRI did not reveal anything.

Time for a trip to the book store for "Healing Back Pain" or "The Mindbody Prescription" by the man, Dr. John E. Sarno.

Step 1 - Read HBP

Step 2 - Go to Step 1

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

lei

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  06:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Becca.....I will recommend the book to my husband. However, how were you able to tell that you had trigger points in those areas? Is it because when you press down on those areas, they hurt? The thing is my husband claims that he doesn't have any trigger points. Hence, the mystery as to what is causing this muscle tightness in his neck which has now moved to his pectoral and stomach muscles. It is very weird as he told me that when he was a teenager he first felt extreme tightness/pressure in his face, but this didn't last long and it went away. Then about 5 years ago, as a 30 year old man, he felt the neck pain. I am wondering if the muscle tightness in his face when he was a teenager was somehow related.
Go to Top of Page

lei

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stryder....I will recommend the book to my husband....I think he even ordered some Dr. Sarno videos a couple of years ago regarding TMS. At the time, he commented that the video was good and the theory was very interesting but that Dr. Sarno didn't really give any practical lessons on how you go about treating TMS. Is it by simply knowing that it is your brain due to stress that is causing your pain enough and then what do you do? I guess I should read the book first as it may give more insights to my questions...
Go to Top of Page

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lei,

When I was your husband's age I too had tightness is my neck, chest, and back. Never did find out what the problem was after going to many doctors. Twenty years later that tightness turned into pain. I did not find out that it was TMS until a few years ago.

Go to amazon.com and type in Dr. Sarno and all of his books will be there. I think you can buy both HBP and MBP for less than $20.00. I got a feeling that your husband will find himself described in those books. Do it before the tightness turns to pain.

Good luck.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Becca

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I knew that I had trigger points because when I pressed on those muscles the pain was excruciating and sometimes it would radiate to other areas. It was the strangest thing I have experienced. To , the touch, the muscles also felt knobby. I no longer havbe the trouble with the trigger points but I still do get tightness in my
chest and neck, sometimes radiating to my jaw. I have had tighness on and off for years (I had tmj pain in high school math class) but only in the past year has it gone from merely annoying to painful.-R
Go to Top of Page

Becca

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I knew that I had trigger points because when I pressed on those muscles the pain was excruciating and sometimes it would radiate to other areas. It was the strangest thing I have experienced. To , the touch, the muscles also felt knobby. I no longer havbe the trouble with the trigger points but I still do get tightness in my
chest and neck, sometimes radiating to my jaw. I have had tighness on and off for years (I had tmj pain in high school math class) but only in the past year has it gone from merely annoying to painful.-R
Go to Top of Page

lei

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Becca,

I'm glad that you are not really suffering from trigger points anymore. It's so nice to see progress in dealing with pain.
What do you think is causing the tightness in your neck and chest muscles? Do you think it is TMS? Has Dr. Sarno's book helped you with the tension? If yes, what exactly do you do to help with the tightness/tension? This is the part that I'm not really clear about with Dr. Sarno's teaching. Is it just by being aware that it is the brain that is causing the tension and avoiding stressful situations which help relieve the problem? At the moment, my husband is learning some breathing techniques. He tried yoga and meditation before, but it didn't really work.
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just READ THE BOOK. it will answer all of your questions. for now, you can read the zillions of posts in the archives addressing the same issues.
Go to Top of Page

jilly_girl

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
drziggles, maybe someone doesnt want to read millions of posts. the book is good but obviously doesnt answer all questions or people wouldnt come to a forum! Dr. Sarno is not God

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many questions may have already been answered on this forum.

Please use the search feature before posting a new message to see if your question has already been asked and answered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000