TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 isn't it dangerous to reveal the emotions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  03:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, I would like to ask you if you have no psychological problems trying to reveal the hidden emotions. I mean the depression, cry attacks or others. I know that according to dr Sarno this can be kind of "catarsis" but I feel no relieve after that.

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  08:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gevorgyan,

As a personality type, how would you best describe yourself...
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, sorry for my English, but I will try my best to describe me.
I am 32, mother of 2 little girls, Ph.D. in economics working in Polish ministry, and specific sense of humor is my significant attribute (I love Vonnegut, guess we have much in common). Till the pain came I have realized lots of ambitious and personal aims. But, I have bad contact with my parents – they have never said that they are proud of me and I feel underpaid in public sector. Having this kind of pain in back I can hardly imagine change in work just now. Above all I have wonderful husband and beloved daughters. But today I have tried to list the thing which could make me happy and I realized that I can not find anything…
I am conscious that I can easily find significant number of things that made me angry (including the nanny today), but I what profit can I take from digging in the dirt besides getting in depression? The more I am thinking about it the more sadness come to me.
Have you any good solution for me: )
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  11:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, that is a good start. Recovery from TMS is a journey into self awareness. Since you are a TMS personality you will have certain ways of re-acting to things in your life. You will never change this about yourself no matter how hard you try.

Does this sound like you?

-You worry a lot about things, even when they are trivial.
-You are easily offended. Words from people wound you on the inside.
-You are perfectionistic and want things to be perfect.
- Noises bother you a lot and they make you tense on the inside.
-You have a strong desire of be loved, admired and appreciated and go to great lenghts to please people even at your own personal expense.
-You have a lot of internal anxiety and anger.
- You desire to be in control of your immediate surroundings and become easily frustrated when you seem to be losing control.
- You have low self esteem and feel you are inadequate in every thing you do.
- You get angry for no real reason

Think about these things and write then down as they generate internal anger and anxiety which over time contribute to your symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only the 5th one seems familiar the rest is totally not of me.
so how to make the people to appreciate me or how to decrease my need of appreciation?
Go to Top of Page

ladyrat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I found that it is not necessary to express the anger, but just to acknowlege that it is there.
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lady, and then what to do with this knowledge?
Go to Top of Page

h2oskier25

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  13:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, PeterMckay

You may not be describing gevorgyan (at least that she thinks so), but you're sure describing me.

I have been pain free since Oct 1 of this year. Quite the accomplishment since I suffered debilitating wrist pain for 8 years. God, hard to believe I sacrificed so much of my life to this.

I have to thank Nate Mcnamara and his site www.conquerrsi.com for pointing me in the right direction, as well as encouraging me when I changed jobs and got a relapse. Also, Ken at Dr. Sarno's office, who finally reassured me that my unconscious was having a 'party' at my expense. From that moment on, it was like somebody flipped a switch. I started healing and never felt pain again, except minor pain and it goes away as soon as I think Psychologically and not Physically.

I have to encourage people to keep up the fight. It did NOT take me 8 years to overcome this. It took me 7.5 years to find the solution and the rest of the time was spent committing to the solution and exploring my emotions.

I won't lie, I have some dark days, but this is my personality, and my current life situation, which is clearly in need of improvement. It's much better to feel alive and know what you really want and pursue it, than to repress all of your emotions to pretend you're happy.

I really feel this was the case with me. I couldn't bear to look at my life closely for fear I'd have to face up to wasting the last few years being unhappy, so I perpetuated the myth that all was well.

Thanks, Peter, Nate, Ken and all those who have helped me get my life back. Words cannot express my gratitude.

To all those still suffering, keep up the fight, it's worth it.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gevorgyan

only the 5th one seems familiar the rest is totally not of me.
so how to make the people to appreciate me or how to decrease my need of appreciation?

You don't have to do anything. You just have to recognize this characterisitc in yourself. There is no need to change it or try to get people to like you. If you do not have these other characteritics I may suspect you are in denial and need to dig a little deeper.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since you are a TMS personality you will have certain ways of re-acting to things in your life. You will never change this about yourself no matter how hard you try.
quote:

Untrue.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is true, sorry John but this is pure Sarno. Anything that smacks of behavior modifcation is not a TMS treatment. You may change your outward behavior, but what is on the inside will stay with you regardless. Ask any pyscho-therapist.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I try not to think in all or none or always or never. From my personal experience there is always room to learn, grow and change.

From reading your posts, its very easy to tell why you have TMS.

Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  01:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know this sounds like: If you are not the Negro you must go deeper to find you are. And let’s assume: I know me a little.

BUt...
I am so happy the I have entered this forum, really. Atavistic I fell well being in the troop of “believers” and I have so many question to you…
Please write me: do you have any idea how to include your partner (my husband in my case) in recovery process? I feel that he can be very helpful, but he would like to know what exactly to do for me.
Any ideas? Any experiences?

Go to Top of Page

goldie

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  01:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Include your partner by getting them to assist you in developing a list of possible causes of repressed unconscious rage. Your partner may actually be able to identify some reasons that you may not be aware of.
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  01:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Goldie!
Revealing those things together should be easier for sure.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  05:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD

Well I try not to think in all or none or always or never. From my personal experience there is always room to learn, grow and change.

From reading your posts, its very easy to tell why you have TMS.

Be kind John, we are all suffering here and don't need this.
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  06:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John is not suffering any more : )
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  07:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gevorgyan,
Has your husband read the books? That could be a good start for him so he has a basic understanding.

Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  07:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is in the middle of it, but you know, he has bigger distance to any novelty than I do.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming he is pretty much TMS free, one way in which he could support you is by talking to you about his own thoughts related to his own aches and pains. People who are TMS free usually have healthier (for lack of a better word) thought patterns about their body in relation to pain. That is one reason why they don't have TMS or atleast as much as people who suffer more drastically with TMS.
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  13:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, sorry can you develop the sentence: “thought patterns about their body in relation to pain”. I really want to understand you well (and I am going to use my husband in this area : )
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000