TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 muscle muscle muscle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  16:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know about anyone else on here but my biggest and scariest problem are the muscle spasms (i think thats what they are) in my buttocks...all i have to do really is lay down on my back usually on a hard durface and use certain muscles and it always hurts .... i do believe in tms but i need help from people who know what i am talking about...is itpossible that this is tms? i mean if you have read some of my posts before i have spoke to Sarno over the phone ... and he told me it is tms and to read the book and stufy it which i have been doing....but i feel like this pain that is paralyzing and brings tears to my eyes will never go away..i need more encouragment...i wish i could just get rid of this pain but even sarno says when this happens u must take a strong pain killer...but it IS from the brain originally...thats lacking oxygen and blood flow... is there a test for this? i mean i do believe certain things are tms but almost every single time i do this position ... i start to get pain where i can not move my leg and it hurts for a few days...which i know he also speaks about that in mind body perscription and that any pain at all in the buttocks is all muscle...ok so it seems so fixable but i am having no luck lately and its been 6 months...help meee

Felicity

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  02:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, try to calm down a little. Being in constant pain can make you panic and this only increases the pain. I had constant back pain for 3 years and then two years of being ok before getting RSI in both arms which continued for 5 years. I am now totally pain free and living a normal life after reading and re-reading Sarno. I had many many days during those 8 years where I swung from despair and self pity to anger at my situation, I felt depressed and found myself thinking constantly about my pain.

For me finding this web sight in November, 2005 and just knowing that there were other people out there like me was a massive help. After reading Sarno I suppose the shift came when I made a total jump in faith. I accepted that it was TMS and just got on with my life deciding that I would give it two months when I would evaluate the situation. I felt that nursing my arms for so many years had only brought me to the point where if I did nothing they were ok but any exertion such as peeling veg or carrying a little shopping would put me straight back to square one. So, I decided to go for it assuring myself that things could not get much worse. If I worked through it and there was no improvement after two months ok I had given it a try and I would have to throw myself at the mercy of my doctor for strong pain relief. Guess what, after two weeks I had much less pain! When I got a twinge I would say to myself, "go away, I'm not having this, I don't need you to distract me from what is going on in my life" I then asked myself what had made me angry, once I knew what it was I would ask myself, "why did that make you angry?" when I had the answer I would try and go beneath that and dig right down to the underlying cause. Stuff from childhood popped up each time. Then I would have a good cry and the next day the pain was gone. I had to repeat this process a couple of times and now I try and assess each day as I go along and just check that nothing has made me angry and if it has I check to make sure I have dealt with it. There is a lot of self realisation with this stuff.

Hope this is of some help. Bascially, make sure there is no real medical cause for your pain. Read the book and read it again. Then give it a try. What have you got to loose?
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jena,

Take a deep breath. In fact take 10 or 20 deep breaths.

Try this. Don't fight the pain. Get some pain meds from your doc if you feel you need to take the edge off.

If you find you can't ignore the the pain, then accept the pain. Say to yourself, "Ok, I'm in pain. It really hurts. Wow, that hurts. But the pain will not harm me so I have nothing to fear. The pain is real but the cause is not dangerous. The pain cannot harm me."

Just let it hurt. Do your TMS work.

The point here is that fighting the pain will up your anxiety about the pain. Fighting the pain is exactly what TMS wants you to do to, distract you. You don't have to play by TMS' rules, you can play by Dr. Sarno's rules.

So if you can give in a little and just let it hurt, that may help you break the cycle and start you on your way to recovery.

Also, don't set yourself on some sort of time table or schedule for recovery. This is a common trap and just puts more needless pressure on yourself. Just accept that it may take a while, and rejoice in any improvement you make day to day. Ignore any minor setbacks you encounter along the way. Have faith in the TMS diagnosis.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 12/13/2005 09:32:00
Go to Top of Page

Jena

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for responding...i guess i just have to fight it i mean so many people have gotten cured and are pain free ! why not me? i just need to believe harder ...its the acute attacks that get me i just wish i could prevent them or when i get them get rid of them easier and continue to do what i was doing but i feel doing that my back would just go out again...ah i need to break this cycle of pain ive done it before i must do it again ... i know one day ill say to myself "remember all that pain i was in years and years ago ohh yeah i remember how scared i was to.. ha glad im cured thanks to sarno"....until then ill keep trying
Go to Top of Page

dctexman

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOCEBO !!! I know it is hard to understand but you are conditioned t6o feel pain more at certain times than others. Laying on any surface in any position should be no problem CUZ it is not a physical or structural problem IT IS TMS. Try very very hard to force your brain to think of Psycologial issues rather than allow your mind to be focused on the pain. This is how you re program your brain. It is a slow process for most and it takes a lopt of patience and diligent work. Stay the course and dont give up. Read the books, journal, talk to your un conscious.

I am making progress with the same PAIN in my ASS!!! it is not always as fast as we would like.

Todd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000