TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Interstitial Cystitis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  15:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had any experience with this diagnosis and it's symptoms and it turned out to be TMS!

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suffered from all sorts of different ailments down in that general area- pelvic floor, hip, cocyx and yes I did have a bout with interstitial cystitis, Yuck! I am absolutely convinced that it was TMS- nothing the did for me (or to me I should say) helped except stopping all treatments and taking the TMS route. The IC went away along with all of my other symptoms. I think IC is just another manifestation of muscle tension- the bladder in spasm instead of the levator ani. I tend to hold my tension in my pelvic region instead of my back like many people do so I think that's why I ended up with the IC. Fortunately mine was relatively short-lived (several months) and has not come back.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  13:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the symptoms? I have had bladder infections as one of my many TMS manifestations. But lately, I get this thing where I feel like I'm getting a bladder infection or that I have to go, but I don't. It's like a muscle spasm thing and then it goes away. Is that the same thing?

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  20:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were exactly my symptoms- like I had a bladder infection but I didn't. Pain and that awful restless feeling like you have to go all the time.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  02:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was TMS, pure and simple, for me, Almostthere. For years I had dreadful cystitis - and was given the diagnosis you were. It started with a very real infection that left me badly de-hydrated and needing hospital treatment - but the symptoms persisted for years (until back pain cam to take it's place). I took anti-biotics for months and months, went through numerous tests and scans, and even had my urethra stretched under general anaesthetic.

It was TMS - the thing was, after the initial infection cleared up, every test for infection came back negative, but I still had dreaful symptoms.

Go to Top of Page

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolyn, AnneG and Laura,
Thank you for responding to my IC Post. I have had many "things" over the years that came, stayed for a while, left, and never resulted in a definitive diagnosis of anything "structurally" wrong....not until this time last year when I experienced excruciating pain in my lower coccyx area for weeks, and I was given Dr. Sarno's HBP to read, and I read it as a last resort, did it occur to me that maybe....just maybe...this might be something else!
I have had several bladder infections over the years...and treated them with Macrobid (which I always carried with me!) I also always had that feeling that I had "to go".....which I did and do often!
Last summer I had the "sling procedure" for stress incontinence.....I thought things were going well until I started have symptoms of an infection on the last week-end in Oct.....I got a prescription for Levaquin from a covering doctor...which I took for 6 days....the acute symptoms went away but I was left with burning in the pelvic area, pressure and frequency....3 urine cultures came back negative....my doctor started me on Elmiron (the medication for IC) when I asked him if he thought I could possibly have IC.....I don't think he really thinks I have it...but since he was going away until Christmas and plans to scope me 12/27 when he's back....I guess he felt he had to do something....I got relief within 2 weeks....which according to the literature is too soon......
This is why I am beginning to think....could all this be just another manisfestation of TMS for 2005! Hence the post!
You have answered my question....that TMS can present as urinary symptoms without infection being present and people can be told they have IC and that that can go away also! I am always apprehensive about getting a "bladder infection"....so I guess my unconscious mind thought "how perfect is this!"
Thank you all again!
Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  22:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
almost there,
thank you for your post on IC. I have been struggling with these types of symptoms over the past six months, and although Mark Sopher (TMS physician and author) lists this as a manifestation of TMS, I have still felt unsure and alone with this condition. I was diagnosed by Dr. Sarno as having TMS 10 years ago (neck, back, restless leg syndrome), but was not fully convinced that my TMS gremlin had chosen, yet a new and unusual location like my bladder. (Interestingly enough, since the IC symptoms have started, everything else has gone completely away). A urogynecologist threw out possibilities such as IC and Vulvodynia, but was really not sure. She advised me to go on a special diet, use estrogen cream, and consider medication. Although I haven't tried the medication, the diet hasn't made one bit of difference. After reading your post I am finally feeling the confirmation that I have been needing that this is indeed another form of TMS. Anne G, your postings are always so inspirational to me and your comments on this subject have been particularly helpful. Laura and Carolyn, thank you both as well. I can now be more confident again in focusing on the emotions rather than the physical symptoms. I would be very interested in your progress, almost there.

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  17:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you might appreciate this web site http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/myoneuropathy.html
It points out how tension in the pelvic floor can lead to IC. Although it does talk about physical treatments, they also note that unconscious tensing of the pelvic muscles is probably the culprit. If you read it with a TMS mindset, it still makes sense.

I am curious whether the rest of you have also had other pelvic floor symptoms?

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  02:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't really have any other pelvic problems, Carolyn - only burning and frequency.

I attended a department in the hospital that dealt with bladder problems for a couple of years because I was plagued by cystitis - just about permanently. My TMS gremlin had unfettered fun that two years.

The initial, real, infection was quite frightening - I was losing potassium because I was so dehydrated and was kept in hospital until that stopped. I went off to France on holiday a few days after leaving hospital and the symptoms returned. I had to have treatment while I was there.

It was a fantastic opportunity for my TMS gremlin (whose existence I was completely unaware of, at that time) to pounce - and pounce it did.

My dodtors said that bladder infections can be low grade and that is why no positive results were ever found again - of course, I had no reason to doublt that diagnosis and was prescribed antibiotics for six months.

The back pain took over - gradually - just a twinge or two for a while, but then I had a bowel examination because I had begun to suffer from IBS symptoms and I reacted very badly to the muscle relaxant injection, which resulted in a couple of days of being sick, which lead to the first, and by far the worst, back pain attack. It was so bad that I was left in constant fear that it would happen again. From then on - back pain, increasing anxiety, depression and increasing restriction of my life - but absolutely no more cystitis. It completely stopped and has never returned in the last three years.

Then the penny dropped - so to speak - I began to suspect that something psychogical was going on. I began searching the internet for information about somatic illnesses and found out about Dr Sarno and TMS - everything fell into place and my recovery began.

Go to Top of Page

Curiosity18

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose I have the opposite situation as Anne G. for years I struggled with musculoskeletal pain, and yes, I suppose that what was diagnosed as "sacraliliac dysfunction" could be considered a type of pelvic floor instability. Then the gremlin shifted when I finally felt as though I have a handle on this TMS thing. The musculoskeletal problems went away, and my bladder started screaming. I think that is why that this situation has been so difficult for me to resolve/recover-I could not fully accept that this was another TMS manifestation. My lab tests all came back negative as well.

Curiosity
Go to Top of Page

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  19:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curiosity 18, AnneG, Carolyn and Laura,
Thank you for all your input into this post about a most miserable manisfestation of the "Gremlin TMS"! I also find it mind boggling that all this burning discomfort could initiate in the unconscious mind....but....apparently it does!
Carolyn...thank you for the web site....I found it very interesting and very much in line with TMS!
AnneG...most consoling to read that you suffered with this misery....were actually told you have IC....and are now symtom free....gives hope to me!
I'm so glad I took the chance and threw "interstitial cystitis" onto the Forum....although it was on there for a few days with a couple readings and no replies! Thank you all again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000