TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 running & tms (and baseball)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  04:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art and BAseball 65, thanks for replying.

BAsbeball 65, I too am worse off than before the surgery. My surgeon assured me the success rate is 95%. He has done this surgery on tons of professional athletes (see ORdonez and Garciaparra) lately.

Art, as a runner, you probably can relate - I also had every running injury known to man and NO treatment ever worked. I opted for the surgery after this new groin/abdomen pain began. I stopped running, did meds, PT, chiropractic, etc. I went for the surgery when nothing else worked. The surgeon too assured me - 8 weeks up and running as did most of his patients. I wonder how many people fall in his 5% failure group.

Art - the conundrum I have is that I fear I will never be pain free again and go back to my beloved running. I know that running is tough on your body and you WILL get aches and pains. I often wonder if I tell myself, believe in the mind/body, psychogenic stuff because it gives you the green light to run? Art - do you understand that. As a runner, you would do anything to be pain free and back on the roads again.

I have started some swimming and 5 min. run, 5 min. walk. Baseball 65 did you fear that by doing these exercises you would undo the surgery? I guess at this point it is moot as i am not better. The route after surgery is supposed to be gradual improvement not worsening.

It sort of makes me feel like a failure when even surgery doesn't work.

hope this makes sense as it is 5:30 a.m.! i will write more and thanks for all the input

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  08:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Baseball 65 did you fear that by doing these exercises you would undo the surgery?

Hi HSB.When I had been instructed by the SURGEON the answer would be YES!! I was afraid that any little trip or fall might 'undo' the wonderful,expensive surgery that didn't even work.

then

After I read HBP I was out walking,still in excruciating pain.I was really frustrated as HBP had made sense,and I understood it intellectually,but I was no better.

It occured to me that this park which I was walking through was where I was conditioned to walk and have pain.Previously,I had run,biked and skateboarded through this park,never walked.

Remembering what Sarno had said about conditioning,I broke into a full on sprint across the fields,off of the walking path....I hobbled about a half a mile before my atrophied little leg got tired.

My pain was no better...BUT it was no worse.According to the Medical mythology people,I should have been in excruciating pain,paralyzed or something terrible like that.

that day was the day that I realized my Md's were full of it and that Dr Sarno's diagnosis made more sense.

Now.......a whole other per peeve of mine is Baseball players and injury(because I love Baseball sooooooo much)

I remember when Garciaparra had that deal.

1.He had just gotten Married(To Mia Hamm,the soccer star)
2.He was NOT being offered a contract extension by Boston,in spite of being one of the best players in all of Baseball
3.He had had wrist and foot issues previously that also caused him to miss lots of time
4.He had accidentally made some faux pas in the press that made him look like a California surfer dude....the east coast press is rabid!!

Point is,I'd have to put Nomar on my list of guys who are probably TMS succeptible.Intense,cares a lot,not a megalomaniac,has an emotional awareness,perfectionist(look at his freakin' body)

Rey Ordonez is also a standout player,though I know a lot less about him(Nomaahhhh,being from LA was in the paper a lot more)

Now,that is ONLY an outsider looking in.Maybe Nomars' deal was real,but than he's awfully fragile for looking so damn studly!

One thing....How long ago was your surgery? How long was it supposed to take for your rehab? what was their diagnostic basis,thesis,etc???

all of this is relavant.

A couple members of this forum have had to have surgeries on VERY real issues,though they were fully indoctrinated into TMS theory

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  09:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Art - the conundrum I have is that I fear I will never be pain free again and go back to my beloved running. I know that running is tough on your body and you WILL get aches and pains. I often wonder if I tell myself, believe in the mind/body, psychogenic stuff because it gives you the green light to run? Art - do you understand that. As a runner, you would do anything to be pain free and back on the roads again.

If I'm understanding you right, sounds like you're doing very much what I do, and many other TMS'ers as well, which is splitting very fine hairs in a frenzy of fear and intellectualization both, that really gets us nowhere...

I don't think it matters one bit what your motivation is to start TMS self-treatment, as long as you start..

Did your doctor tell you explicitly not to run? If he did, do you trust the guy?

The thing is, almost every single "injury" I've ever gotten seems legitimate so that in context, it's very hard to say it's not structural...but the thing is, it's not, at least with me, at least up until now...I just have to remind myself of my history, that it's just not possible to get all these injuries...

The biggest problem I'm dealing with now is foot pain...diagnosed as metetarsalgia...it hurt like the devil off and on for almost a year until I finally decided it had to be TMS...it's still there, but just barely...I'm running on that foot just fine now thank you very much...and the origin of the thing was an ill-fitting pair of orthotics with a big ridge in the exact spot where my foot hurts..see what I mean about context?

But I ignore context now..context is just those sets of circumstances that make it likely for my brain to jump and and say "aha!! I'll give this guy TMS in that spot because he's never not going to believe it's not real!!

My pain is benign. It cannot hurt me..
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  15:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baseball 65.
nomar garciaparra had his surgery in april, i had mine in march - the same surgeon. this guy developed this procedure to fix sports hernias. he has operated on most of the professional athletes who have groin, abdominal problems. nomar went right to him.

i was supposed to be up and running in 8 weeks. it is now 3-1/2 months. 4 weeks doing nothing, then PT then up and going. i did everything in the doctor's protocol. after 10 weeks when i wasn't feeling any better, the surgeon prescribed indocin, a really potent anti=inflammatory. he said the pain would be knocked out in 2 weeks. it is now 5 weeks on the Indocin. the protocol said swimming and running after 8 weeks, sprinting, etc. back to your sport.

as i said previously i started last week to go back to light running and swimming because the surgery obviously failed. you are supposed to gradually get better and better week by week and i am worse than i was before the surgery. when i spoke to the doc. he said the worst thing is sitting around but i think he was still hoping for me to be in his "95% success rate". i am going to see him next week for me to have "closure". there is nothing more he can do for me. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.

i, too like art, have been plagued by tons and tons of "running injuries" throughout the years. now i did the final thing - i had surgery hoping that would cure my pain and let me run again.
that is another thing i obsess about - i shouldn't have had the surgery, why did i do it, now i am going to be in a pain clinic, etc. etc.

art - doesn't it bug you that so many runners get pains, take nsaids, are better in 6 weeks. that just about kills me. why not me!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  15:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi HSB

Question? What would that doctor consider a failure? What I mean is,is there some sort of visible thing,like a tendon flopping,or is a failure merely no resolution of the pain??

And,secondly,what does he say about activity .....if it is a 'failure' does that mean you could further injure yourself by continuing activity???

The word hernia is thrown around a lot by doctors,so it's hard to understand...I know it's supposed to be a tear,but we all tear our muscles when we lift weights,yet the body fixes it in about 24-48 hours.

One time I was unloading a truck full of christmas trees....some of them wet wweigh upwards of 100 pounds,and we had just unloaded 6 or 700.As they come out,you get into a lot of awkward positions struggling with them.I jumped out of the truck and had a pain right at the lowest part of my belly just over my privates....I sat down and was sort of concerned and had 'hernia' somewhere in my fearful mind.

A co-worker came up to me and my boss(who was a good boss and was concerned)...He asked me what was wrong.

I told him I had a pain right over my unit at the bottom of my stomach.

He said : "Oh no brother.....I think you might have torn open your Henway"

Terrified I asked: "What's a Henway ?"

He said : "Oh....about 3 or 4 pounds !" (Hen weigh....joke)

I laughed my butt off...I'd never heard that joke before.I sort of forgot about the pain and went back to work schlepping heavy stuff around.

I've sometimes wondered if that guy didn't come up to me and make me laugh,that maybe I would have become fixated on that pain to the point of a TMS symptom.I knew nothing of Sarno at the time,but it was definitely a pivotal moment.

Anyways,you running people seem to have a bit more of a challenge if it is indeed TMS,because running is the one activity that requires every single muscle and joint to be running smoothly.

Maybe after you see this huy one more time you might want to take your Mri/Xrays to a TMS doc for a second opinion.

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000