TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Picking a Therapist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  14:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've decided it is time for me to go a little deeper than I've been able to go on my own and hoperfully get rid of my residual symptoms once and for all, so I am going to go see a therapist. Does anyone have some general tips on how to start weeding them out. I got a very long list of providers from my insurance. Would I be better off with an MD or a PhD or does it matter. Some of them list somatoform disorders as one of their specialties. Is this sort of the same thing? I intend to call them before making an appointment to explain my situation and see if they've ever heard of TMS but I need something to use to narrow the list down. There isn't a category for analytical psychotherapy or uncovering repressed emotions but isn't that what I should ask about when I call?

Carolyn

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  14:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go to an MSW and I think she is great...an MD is mostly for medication these days.
A PHd, PSYd, or an msw is what you would probably need. But how to pick one out is a tuff one.
good luck,
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  14:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically a psychiatrist (MD) will prescribe medication and not do much talk therapy.

The degree is not really important. I would ask:

1. Do they practice Freudian psychotherapy. This is important, as many psychologists these days are Cognitive-Behavioral (CBT). This type of therapy is not useful for TMS.

2. Are they familiar with Dr. Sarno? If not, do they agree with the concept that repressed emotions can lead to physical symptoms?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000