TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Could use some encouraging words
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  00:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone,

Well, my daughter's long awaited Bat Mitzvah is just five short days away and I have to say, I'm freaking out big time. There's still so much to do and my head is buzzing 24/7 thinking about what needs to get done. It's been really stressful to say the least. I feel like my head's going to pop off! Today in the car I was telling my 13 year old that I would like to get a personalized license plate. She said "What would it read, Mom, 'Stress Mobile?'" I guess I didn't realize how stressed out I am but I'm clearly not hiding it well from my kids. The dizziness has been okay today but the past few days have been rough. I just keep trying to laugh at it because there's no other choice. I just hope I'm not so dizzy I topple over on Saturday. I'm terrified to give that speech I've written but I'm going to do it anyway.

Any encouraging words would be wonderful right now. I will be really busy for the next few days, obviously, but I'm still going to check in again once or twice before Saturday. Wish me luck!!!

Laura

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  02:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura

Sending you good wishes from across the Atlantic! You're nearly there now and your speech will be really good. You'll look back and be so glad you gave it.

I was on vacation with my American family three weeks ago. My thirteen year old niece was a guest at a friend's Bat Mitzvah and my sister-in-law was stressed just getting her ready for attending - never mind hosting one.

You won't topple over. The thing is you know that it's TMS that is making you dizzy. That knowledge is invaluable. So many people are stuck in the trap of believing that something physical is the cause of their problem, rather than something emotional. At the moment you are experiencing stress overload and that is allowing your TMS gremlin to run riot. Your understanding of what causes the dizziness will get you through.

Let us know - after you have had a good long rest - how it goes.

Very best wishes

Anne

Edited by - n/a on 06/07/2005 03:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  07:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laura

I guess I didn't realize how stressed out I am but I'm clearly not hiding it well from my kids.

Hope you're not trying to hide it ... that's an invitation for TMS.

It's perfectly normal for you to be stressed out now. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I'm sure you are more prepared than you think. Imagine yourself on Sunday -- calm and tranquil, the whole thing will be over. Finally.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

smth416

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  21:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura, be strong. I have drawn great strength from your advice and you have helped my recovery. You have helped me, now help yourself. You WILL make that speech and you WILL be great. Think about how proud of yourself you will be after that. I will say a prayer for your success. You seem nervous(of course who wouldnt be?) yet confident. Good Luck and God Bless -Al
Go to Top of Page

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura,

The anticipatory anxiety is always worse than the actual situation. You will not only do well with your speech, you will do great and feel great that you did it!
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  15:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura..

Chiming in with some support for ya. You know this whole thing is going to go off without a hitch, don't you? They always do. Since you know what the dizziness is from, it's not going to be a problem...

We'll all be sending you good thoughts over the next few days. Can't wait to read all about it later!!

Best to you,
A.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  16:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everyone, from the bottom of my heart!!!! I cannot tell you how good I feel right now after reading all of your wonderful, encouraging posts. It made me cry.

I will be thinking of all of you on Saturday. I will post after this whole thing is over and tell you how it went.

Thank you all again! I love you guys!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  18:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura,
I haven't been around in awhile but want to tell you that it will all work out fine. I remember having to write a speech and deliver it in temple for my mothers funeral. I did it and felt so strong afterwards. Just think how those poor kids have to do it through the whole service. If a 13 year old can (and their brains are not fully developed yet) lol... then you should be fine! I can't wait till you report back. I personally will be waiting to hear.
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  18:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mazel Tov!!!!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  14:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
email me pictures!!
hxerri@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  09:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone,

Well, yesterday was the long awaited bat mitzvah and I wanted to report how it all went. I was a wreck the entire night before (Friday night) and literally was awake the WHOLE night, listening to my heart pounding in my chest. Yes, that's how big my fear of standing up in front of people is!!! Then, the morning finally arrived and there we were, sitting there watching and listening as our beautiful daughter chanted her Torah portion. My husband kept telling me "Breathe" but I literally felt like my heart was coming out of my mouth. Then he said "This is going to be fun." I was so emotional, I spent most of the morning crying. Even during the service, I was emotional and felt on the verge of tears. Then we walked up there, onto the bimah, and faced my daughter and took her hand. I looked out at everyone and said "I'm going to try to get through this without crying but I'm not going to promise anything." My husband, who was standing behind me said "I'm going to catch her if she faints" and everyone laughed. That helped to ease the nervousness. Then, I read my speech, which was about three or four minutes long. It was EASY! I couldn't believe it. All the part I went through before was so much worse but actually doing it -- piece of cake. In fact, I could have stood up there all day long once I got going. It was no problem at all. All this time, I've had this incredible fear. I cannot tell you how proud I was of myself for breaking through the fear. And guess what else? I WASN'T DIZZY!!! In fact, I wasn't dizzy the whole entire day!!!!

Everything went great, with a few minor glitches which are to be expected. My daughter was absolutely AMAZING and now, I'm sad it's over. I've been replaying the whole day over and over in my head.

Thank you to all of you for your words of encouragement. It really means a lot to me and I cannot tell you how much it helped get me through this.

In three weeks, the photos will be posted on the photographer's website: randrphotography.com so if you want, you can check them out for yourselves. You simply click on Sarah Ravitz bat mitzvah and under the password put in TEMPLE.

Take care everyone! I've got a house full of guests to get breakfast for.

Laura

Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  11:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable, memorable day yesterday, Laura. Your daughter and husband will have felt very proud of you.

You'll probably have thought of this, but just in case you haven't; make sure that you keep a copy of your speech. It will mean a lot to your daughter to look back and read what you said about her years from now.

Very best wishes

Anne
Go to Top of Page

holly

USA
243 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  16:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Go Girl!
Go to Top of Page

molomaf

119 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  17:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura,
I'm so happy for you! And so glad you had a great day!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

smth416

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  20:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I knew you could do it.
Go to Top of Page

Kajsa

Denmark
144 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  02:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT LAURA !!

Kajsa
Go to Top of Page

Hilary

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  04:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic, Laura! I'm glad the day worked out so well for you.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everyone! You are all so supportive. That website is actually www.randrphotography.com and when you get there you click on My Photos and then find the name and put in the password (TEMPLE).
The photos should be there within 3 weeks from now.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Louise

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  14:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura -

CONGRAUTLATIONS!!! I'm so glad that the Bat Mitzvah went so well.
Now, whenever you're feeling scared or apprehensive about something in your life (TMS-related or not), look back on that day and recall that you faced your fears and WON!
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  11:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Louise. It's interesting that I have had very little in the way of TMS related problems for the past couple of days since giving that speech. It's amazing! No dizziness the entire day of the bat mitzvah, none the day after (except for a second while on a walk but I know that is because I have gotten that dizzy feeling on walks before and it's a learned pattern), and none today so far.

Oh, I just hung up with the photographer. I was bummed that he didn't get any shots of people at the tables but he explained why to me (buffet, everyone got up at once and half the time not everyone was at the table). He said that he did get lots of other photos and that the photos should start being up in a week to week and a half. Usually, they put part of them up and then a few days later the rest go up. Anyway, anyone who wants to see them can. I'm always curious what everyone that I talk to on the forum looks like. So, I guess you'll know what I look like.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000