TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 irritation/cough--TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  23:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI all!
I haven't posted much lately, but had a question. I've been doing pretty well w/ my typical problems, but since January I've had an off and on tickle in my throat, pretty constant at times, that leads to coughing. This is some mucus but not like a cold. Sometimes it is associated with feeling rundown and sometimes associated with a bad taste in the mouth. I've had a sinus scan, loads of antibiotics, checkup w/ the dentist, etc. and no one can explain or resolve this seeming low grade infection, other than to say it must be some sort of bacteria.

I got to wondering though if somehow it could be related to anxiety/TMS. It does kick in when I'm under stress or tired. It has evaded any clear medical explanation/resolution. It has lasted, chronic but rarely acute, for months now. Fits the usual pattern of psychosomatic symptoms.

So my questions: anyone have anything similar? Is there anyway some sort of body/muscle tension and/or neurological hypersensitivity could be producing the tickle and thus the coughing? I've had all sorts of weird TMS symptoms that have gone away w/ the TMS approach, that you wouldnt initially believe were related to the TMS idea (sensitive teeth and gums, pressure in the ears to name two). Hypersensitivity and irritation being a common symptomatological feature (did I just make up a word?) Anyway thanks for your help!

--Sarah
"When dream and day unite"

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  02:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took 'Beconase' for sinus problems for years. I can't say for sure why the problem disappeared, but I think it must have been TMS because when my back pain became a major problem - the sinus thing went away and hasn't returned even though my back doesn't bother me very much at all now.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  07:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any auto-immune function of the body is susceptible to TMS.

Sometimes a tickle in the throat could be stomach acid in the esophagus. Do you have heartburn?

It could be there is an irritant in your environment that under normal circumstances your immune system handles fine, but TMS compromises the immune system in such a way to bring on those symptoms.

Assuming you've had a full medical workup (blood tests, etc.) recently then it's probably safe to treat as TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  11:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had heartburn.

We did use to live in an apartment (8-10 years ago) that had a lot of black mold. We got out of there, but some of our furniture (including bedroom furniture) still has a bit of a smell. So we're getting rid of that furniture now to be safe. But I didn't have any symptoms like this from that exposure until this year, so I'm not going to assume it's the mold.

--Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  23:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a bacterial culture taken and it turns out I had a fast growing Staph aureus infection; so that's interesting. but this is one of those things that is often present w/out symptoms, so they're taking the fast growing aspect as the reason for concern. but the antibiotics after 10 days are doing nothing.

anyone have this before?

--Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all bacterial sinus infections show up on sinus x-rays according to my ENT and what I've read. I've had plenty of sinus infections and the key is to take those antibiotics as prescribed. Plenty of times I've had to take antibiotics for three weeks or more, with several changes in prescription, before it did the trick. Not much blood flows through the sinuses, I hear, so it takes longer for the antibiotics to work....Not everything is TMS (just most everything)...If the doctor found this fast growing staph germ that you describe, and you have the symptoms that you describe in your posting, it sounds to me like a bacterial sinus infection, so stick with the antibiotics and try irrigating your sinuses several times a day...A good sinus book that describes irrigating techniques and much more is "Sinus Survival."
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  10:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah,

About a three or four weeks ago, I came down with a really nasty bug. I was coughing so hard my chest burned. I wanted to die, it was that awful. I took a Z-pack, and after four days it kicked in and I was doing better. I also took something from my health food store called "Clear Lungs" which is a combination of Chinese herbs. I was told by the pharmacist (they sell herbal formulas at the pharmacy) that she had seen great success with this formula. Within about 8 days, I was almost back to normal. Now, usually when I get a cough, particularly in the summer when it's warm, it lasts forever, sometimes months. This time, it went away. I was so concerned it was not going to go away in time for my daughter's bat mitzvah, because I knew I couldn't give my speech or even sit there if I was coughing the whole time like that.

So, it went away and has been gone for a couple weeks. The bat mitzvah was Saturday. I have nothing to focus on now and guess what? Not only have I experienced a couple episodes of dizziness, some back pain, stomach problems, but now, the cough is back. It is a tickle in my throat and I just cough and cough. It doesn't bother me during the night, like the last cough did. Instead, it seems worse during the day and in the early evening. It's the weirdest thing. And when I take a deep breath in, it feels a little weird then too. I was thinking of getting it checked out. If they find nothing wrong, then I can only conclude it's just another TMS manifestation.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Jacoba

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interestingly I took a really strong antibiotic (Levaquin) for 2 weeks, at doctor's orders, and that didnt really change anything. so the ENT concluded it wasnt the bacteria after all; they'd be dead now. So it's either allergies or TMS, and I've never had allergies, so I'm just going to treat it as TMS for now.

--Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  20:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah,

Just wondering if using the TMS approach has worked with your cough? I'm still dealing with mine, in addition to severe nausea. I'm noticing, like you, then when I get emotionally worked up over something I start coughing like crazy. The past week I've gotten in some arguments with my husband and every time it happened I started coughing. It's the weirdest cough. I hope yours is doing better.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah.

I've had both....symptoms that were definitely mindbody and just recently,one I'm fairly certain wasn't.I read Louise Hays' book and used it as a sort of TMS primer and it worked wonders intercepting symptoms before they became full fledged 'issues'.

Than recently,my business partner and I simultaneously came down with a cough that wouldn't go away.I tried writing,brainstorming,gestalt and all the usuall techniques that usually banish my demons...no luck.

Than I had a tooth abcess.The cough was STILL hanging around.My dentist prescribed a hardcore anti biotic for the tooth and my cough went away.My buddy who was NOT on an antibiotic remained ill for three weeks longer than I and he is waaaaaay healthier than me(doesn't smoke,eats healthier,hakuna matata personality)

Than his wife came down with it as well(I don't sleep with my wife,so she wasn't exposed to me...hi wife does sleep with him)

so...that one WAS a bacterial deal.

However,this winter I had about a dozen cough,cold,flu like symptoms that I did banish using our tools.

Since you tried antibiotics(levaquin is pretty strong) I'd presume it to be mindbody.Allergies and drymouth are really common TMS conversion symptoms(my wife has allergies all winter(wrong season) when her job was stressful...now that spring is here(allergy season) but she got a better job,sha hasn't complained once)

Louise Hay uses a sort of figurative model for symptoms...a cough might be something you need to 'get out of your throat" i.e. something you really want to say,but can't for whatever reason.Maybe in some situation you are not allowed to say what you really thin or feel so it is "stuck" in your throat.

Just an idea....worked for me.

-peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  20:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Baseball, for reminding me to pull out my Louise Hay book. So, that's what she says about cough, huh? Well, I've been arguing with my husband all week about some issues that are pretty major and there's stuff I wanted to say but didn't. I guess I need to go think about what I need to get off my chest.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  21:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura

I'm not certain that is verbatim,but it's something like that.All of her clues are figurative.In fact,the first time I perused her book,I though her a bit sappy and unscientific.I was such a Sarno militant that I would believe nothing that didn't make perfect sense.

Than,I cracked it open about a year later and noticed that a lot of my non-pain issues uncannily matched up to her circumstantial models....too many absolutely-right-ons to dismiss.I read it a little closer and found that except for a few deviations(she approves of chiro for one) she is EXACTLY like any other Mindbody advocate....just with no medical training.Her work is anecdotal based on her own life experiences(beating cancer) and the observations on the people she has counseled.

Should I throw out so many intuitive head starts because of a few discrepancies??

When I joined this forum,I was totally pain free,but periodically had 'other' maladies.Her book was instrumental in showing me that almost all of my problems had a psychogenic origin.

I spent the last 10 months working for the BIGGEST jerk I've ever had the misfortune of being minion to.Everyday I would feel my body sending all sorts of messages out in the form of symptoms,and my brain doing battle over and over....like a game of TMS ping pong.

SERVE.....chills
RETURN....I have no flu and I am healthy...I don't believe in crowd mentality
SERVE.....cough
RETURN...(in gestalt) My boss is a racist coward,a condescending moron and I only work here until I can start my own business
SERVE....burning sinuses
RETURN....I am well,all is well and I need not seek the approval of other men to be OK

you get the picture...and this is not days I'm talking about here...this is a daily war I fought for months.I never,ever had to leave work sick,though many times I made up excuses(dental visits,other work) just to escape his tyranny.

After I found I could only stand his presence for a couple of hours,I knew we were at the end.

One day, the designer on a job who knew I cared about the quality of work specifically told me to make sure and do something a particular way.She was the one paying us.My boss wholesaly discounted her instructions and did shoddy work.

He caught me doing something too "well" i.e. """just slop it on there,and stop wasting time being so careful"""

I told him he did "ghetto work" and that we were being paid to do top quality work.....we erupted in each others faces.I went to a back room and meditated and prayed.

I apologized for my personal attack and submitted my resignation.

I now work with my best friend/....spiritually open and honest

We make less money and are struggling,but we do quality work,Have pride,have fun and I can crank out 12 hours without a break in a blink whereas 6 hours with the old boss felt like a week.

Oh yeah....no more battles,chills,coughs,symptoms.

TMS encompasses far more areas of health than I ever would have imagined when my crippled hobbling little painwrought corpse plunked down my 12 bucks and bought HBP

It's a freakin' miracle!!!

peace

Baseball65

Edited by - Baseball65 on 06/25/2005 21:35:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000