TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 a doctor's dilemma-PLZ HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

khamira

12 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  11:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou so much res for your sharing your experience and encouragement. I am now working hard to really deeply believe its TMS and doing all I can to fight it hard.
I wish you GOODLUCK too and remember you had it before and you were able to fight it off like you mentioned. so you can and you will do it again. Keep reading page 82 of Dr Sarno's Healing back pain.
All the best.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  14:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Khamira,

Here is something you may want to try to deal with the pain in addition to your working through your TMS issues. When I was in excessive pain prior to learning it was TMS, I spent a lot of time (many weeks) flat on my back in bed rest. Some time the pain even at rest was very bad. I was fighting the pain, and that was feeding my anger about the pain, a vicious circle.

So, try this. Eventually you must _ignore_ the pain, but until you can do that try _accepting_ the pain. Don't fight the pain, say in your mind, "I'm in pain right now, its pretty bad, but that's just my brain telling me I have pain. That's ok brain, I'm not going to fight it, I know you are causing me the pain...". The goal here is to try to stop being angry about the pain. It doesnt do much for addressing the other things you are angry about, but you'll just have to deal with those as part of your TMS treatment.

Hope this helps. Take care, -Stryder.
Go to Top of Page

khamira

12 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  16:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Strider, thats a wonderful suggestion. that is exactly what i am realizing . that there might have been several other repressed angers and issues that brought on tms in the first place but the tms pain in itself is causing so much frustration anger and depression. and that i guess adds on to the vicious cycle.

when i was studying -all my life-especially as a medical student i thought LEARNING is tough especially memorization of core knowledge. however the biggest lesson of life now i have learnt is that ITS EVEN MORE TOUGH TO UNLEARN WHAT ONE HAS LEARNED THROUGH THE YEARS...to unlearn the concrete BELIEFS ingrained into my mind about PHYSICAL CAUSES of pain through my professional training , further strengthened by the string of PHYSICIANS I saw. To UNLEARN the specific BEHAIVIOUR PATTERNS I myself PROGRAMMED my self into doing.
Thats where the anti-TMS strategy comes into play..that is UNLEARN the CONDITIONED RESPONSES.

So now I have to learn how to unlearn. I so appreciate your input Strider...
Thanks and all the best.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000