TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 another story
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  21:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's another story. On Saturday I met someone at a barbecue. His name is Keith and he is aound 50. He told me that when he was 28, he had Ankylosing Spondylitis. AS is a painful, progressive, rheumatic disease. It mainly affects the spine but it can also affect other joints, tendons and ligaments. Other areas, such as the eyes, lungs, bowel and heart can also be involved. Anyway Keith's spine began to fuse starting from the lumbar region. The prognosis was not good. Most doctors said that it would only be a matter of time before his whole spine fused together. there wasn't much they could do except give him medication for the pain and inflammation.

Until he met a doctor who had had it himself. This doctor said told there him there wasn't any medicine that was going to help. Instead he told him not to dwell too much on it and to be as active as possible. He even suggested that he do active and vigorous sport like playing rugby.

So Keith thinking that this doctor is crazy goes ahead and does what he is told anyway. Not even knowing how to throw a ball, he said that he threw himself into playing rugby. He told me there were days when he could hardly move due to the stiffness in his spine but still cracked on. Within a year he was absolutely back to normal with no problems whatsoever and is still pain free today.

Hats off to the doctor. He may not have known the clinical definition of tms but that is what he diagnosed and he prescribed treatment accordingly.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

Calvin

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  16:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ankylosing Spondylitis is what Norman Cousins talks about in his book, "Anatomy Of An Illness". Excellent reading if you haven't read it.
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  17:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow--i'm very surprised about that sort of improvement. I would venture that ankylosing spondylitis is a totally different animal than the typical causes of back pain that are put forth. It's an inflammatory problem that can be very severe and can turn the spine into a fused rod (it classically looks like "a bamboo rod" on xrays). I'd have a very hard time pushing Sarno on someone with this problem, personally...I'm glad your friend improved, though--it's an inspirational story.

Incidentally, this is the problem that the guitarist from Motley Crue has, and he is barely able to stand long enough to play more than a song or two at this point...
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  20:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow here too . . . there's one for that old cliche 'anything is possible' .
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  11:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother has ankylosing spondilitis - now been in remission for 10 years. A year ago, before Sarno, the doctors thought I had it and were about to start me on enbrel.
My brother stays very active. Part of his therapy was to swim, bike and to stay off all milk and wheat products (he still does). He got it during a very very stressful time in his life. I watched his whole body deteriorate. I believe it came on as a reaction to the stress - in other words a TMS equivalent - a very nasty one. I think the food act as a placebo for him. He says that if he avoids it, it keeps away the aches and pain. My brother is a depressed person by nature and I think he has TMS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000