TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Symptoms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
indiana Posted - 09/20/2013 : 08:56:44
I wonder if other people are experiencing something like that. Whenever I make plans or there is an upcoming (pleasant) event I get one of the well known symptoms. But I am not sure if it is just a coincidence as I am having symptoms from time to time. My husband and I are planning to go to Australia. We have not even bought the tickets yet and are just talking about it. Sure enough I now have jaw and tooth pain which I have not had since february discouraging me from going ahead with our plans or if we are going ahead almost dreading the holiday because I am afraid of the symptoms (what if it gets worse). It is as if every time I am looking forward to something TMS comes between. I am probably doing this to myself thinking the "what if" thoughts or just thinking too many negative thoughts about how I am going to cope.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
honeybear Posted - 09/23/2013 : 20:43:39
I'm dealing with the very same thing! I am more of a homebody, so even small trips away from home bring me symptoms. This past weekend I had a Visualization class a few hours from home, and my TMS (TMJ and random tooth pain) was at its finest!
tennis tom Posted - 09/23/2013 : 09:45:01
quote:
Originally posted by indiana

Makes me wonder how I would cope with 100 p. (death of spouse) and 73 p (divorce). Must be one of these very very sensitive people.
However my experience is also that when I got seriously ill I somehow got the strength to cope and to not concentrate too much on myself and my other symptoms.

Having a TMS PERFECTIONIST personality, you would probably deal with the situation in a VERY responsible fashion--and then get symptoms later, unless you were able to release the stress buildup on your TMS reservoir.
indiana Posted - 09/23/2013 : 07:26:15
quote:
Originally posted by catmac

quote:

I wonder if other people are experiencing something like that. Whenever I make plans or there is an upcoming (pleasant) event I get one of the well known symptoms. But I am not sure if it is just a coincidence as I am having symptoms from time to time. My husband and I are planning to go to Australia. We have not even bought the tickets yet and are just talking about it. Sure enough I now have jaw and tooth pain which I have not had since february discouraging me from going ahead with our plans or if we are going ahead almost dreading the holiday because I am afraid of the symptoms (what if it gets worse). It is as if every time I am looking forward to something TMS comes between. I am probably doing this to myself thinking the "what if" thoughts or just thinking too many negative thoughts about how I am going to cope.

Yes, Indiana, this is exactly what happens to me too. Its soooo frustrating. I quite often have symptoms on the day I am meant to fly away on holiday. I didn't go on holiday for over a year because of the worry about symptoms or pain getting worse, then I decided I wasn't going to give in to tms anymore but accept it. Now, I usually just treat the symptoms I have at the time and it usually passes fairly quickly. I would welcome any other forum members advice though as it turns a happy experience into a miserable one for part of the holiday.

I don't have a solution either. Flying itself and preparing for the trip is stressfull and I don't like it. When I am at the destination I already worry about the return journey. I also have lost the taste for going on holiday thinking "what's the point" and forcing myself is not the solution either. I suppose I am hoping for some sort of miracle where I just don't care any more. The problem is I am never in a state of relaxation and living in the now (that I have to work on) when I am on holiday and that is what's spoils it.
indiana Posted - 09/23/2013 : 07:16:36
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Yep, going on VACATION earns you 13 points on the Rahe-Holmes Stress Scale right between CHANGE IN EATING HABITS and CHRISTMAS.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm

Makes me wonder how I would cope with 100 p. (death of spouse) and 73 p (divorce). Must be one of these very very sensitive people.
However my experience is also that when I got seriously ill I somehow got the strength to cope and to not concentrate too much on myself and my other symptoms.
tennis tom Posted - 09/22/2013 : 18:08:38
Yep, going on VACATION earns you 13 points on the Rahe-Holmes Stress Scale right between CHANGE IN EATING HABITS and CHRISTMAS.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm

NextAdventure Posted - 09/22/2013 : 15:52:09
It is called anticipatory anxiety
catmac Posted - 09/22/2013 : 13:05:56
quote:

Yes, Indiana, this is exactly what happens to me too. Its soooo frustrating. I quite often have symptoms on the day I am meant to fly away on holiday. I didn't go on holiday for over a year because of the worry about symptoms or pain getting worse, then I decided I wasn't going to give in to tms anymore but accept it. Now, I usually just treat the symptoms I have at the time and it usually passes fairly quickly. I would welcome any other forum members advice though as it turns a happy experience into a miserable one for part of the holiday.
indiana Posted - 09/22/2013 : 06:44:23
quote:
Originally posted by Birdie78

Indiana, I know exactly what you mean! Even the very small event of friends spending a weekend with me is enough to bring some old or new TMS-symptoms on the scene. But since I know it's TMS it disappears much more faster than it did before. My subconscious mind does not seem to make a big difference between positive and negative stress.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie

Thanks Birdie. Doubts whether it is TMS are hard to get rid of.
Birdie78 Posted - 09/20/2013 : 09:10:34
Indiana, I know exactly what you mean! Even the very small event of friends spending a weekend with me is enough to bring some old or new TMS-symptoms on the scene. But since I know it's TMS it disappears much more faster than it did before. My subconscious mind does not seem to make a big difference between positive and negative stress.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000