TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Symptoms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  08:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if other people are experiencing something like that. Whenever I make plans or there is an upcoming (pleasant) event I get one of the well known symptoms. But I am not sure if it is just a coincidence as I am having symptoms from time to time. My husband and I are planning to go to Australia. We have not even bought the tickets yet and are just talking about it. Sure enough I now have jaw and tooth pain which I have not had since february discouraging me from going ahead with our plans or if we are going ahead almost dreading the holiday because I am afraid of the symptoms (what if it gets worse). It is as if every time I am looking forward to something TMS comes between. I am probably doing this to myself thinking the "what if" thoughts or just thinking too many negative thoughts about how I am going to cope.

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  09:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indiana, I know exactly what you mean! Even the very small event of friends spending a weekend with me is enough to bring some old or new TMS-symptoms on the scene. But since I know it's TMS it disappears much more faster than it did before. My subconscious mind does not seem to make a big difference between positive and negative stress.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  06:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Birdie78

Indiana, I know exactly what you mean! Even the very small event of friends spending a weekend with me is enough to bring some old or new TMS-symptoms on the scene. But since I know it's TMS it disappears much more faster than it did before. My subconscious mind does not seem to make a big difference between positive and negative stress.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie

Thanks Birdie. Doubts whether it is TMS are hard to get rid of.
Go to Top of Page

catmac

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  13:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indiana

I wonder if other people are experiencing something like that. Whenever I make plans or there is an upcoming (pleasant) event I get one of the well known symptoms. But I am not sure if it is just a coincidence as I am having symptoms from time to time. My husband and I are planning to go to Australia. We have not even bought the tickets yet and are just talking about it. Sure enough I now have jaw and tooth pain which I have not had since february discouraging me from going ahead with our plans or if we are going ahead almost dreading the holiday because I am afraid of the symptoms (what if it gets worse). It is as if every time I am looking forward to something TMS comes between. I am probably doing this to myself thinking the "what if" thoughts or just thinking too many negative thoughts about how I am going to cope.

Yes, Indiana, this is exactly what happens to me too. Its soooo frustrating. I quite often have symptoms on the day I am meant to fly away on holiday. I didn't go on holiday for over a year because of the worry about symptoms or pain getting worse, then I decided I wasn't going to give in to tms anymore but accept it. Now, I usually just treat the symptoms I have at the time and it usually passes fairly quickly. I would welcome any other forum members advice though as it turns a happy experience into a miserable one for part of the holiday.
Go to Top of Page

NextAdventure

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  15:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is called anticipatory anxiety
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, going on VACATION earns you 13 points on the Rahe-Holmes Stress Scale right between CHANGE IN EATING HABITS and CHRISTMAS.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm

Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  07:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Yep, going on VACATION earns you 13 points on the Rahe-Holmes Stress Scale right between CHANGE IN EATING HABITS and CHRISTMAS.

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm

Makes me wonder how I would cope with 100 p. (death of spouse) and 73 p (divorce). Must be one of these very very sensitive people.
However my experience is also that when I got seriously ill I somehow got the strength to cope and to not concentrate too much on myself and my other symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  07:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catmac

quote:

Yes, Indiana, this is exactly what happens to me too. Its soooo frustrating. I quite often have symptoms on the day I am meant to fly away on holiday. I didn't go on holiday for over a year because of the worry about symptoms or pain getting worse, then I decided I wasn't going to give in to tms anymore but accept it. Now, I usually just treat the symptoms I have at the time and it usually passes fairly quickly. I would welcome any other forum members advice though as it turns a happy experience into a miserable one for part of the holiday.

I don't have a solution either. Flying itself and preparing for the trip is stressfull and I don't like it. When I am at the destination I already worry about the return journey. I also have lost the taste for going on holiday thinking "what's the point" and forcing myself is not the solution either. I suppose I am hoping for some sort of miracle where I just don't care any more. The problem is I am never in a state of relaxation and living in the now (that I have to work on) when I am on holiday and that is what's spoils it.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4749 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Makes me wonder how I would cope with 100 p. (death of spouse) and 73 p (divorce). Must be one of these very very sensitive people.
However my experience is also that when I got seriously ill I somehow got the strength to cope and to not concentrate too much on myself and my other symptoms.

Having a TMS PERFECTIONIST personality, you would probably deal with the situation in a VERY responsible fashion--and then get symptoms later, unless you were able to release the stress buildup on your TMS reservoir.
Go to Top of Page

honeybear

10 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm dealing with the very same thing! I am more of a homebody, so even small trips away from home bring me symptoms. This past weekend I had a Visualization class a few hours from home, and my TMS (TMJ and random tooth pain) was at its finest!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000