TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Healing has begun my aha moment

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/17/2013 : 08:42:03
Since therapy on Monday my Tms pains have dulled down extremely. I had Tms groin pain and it would hurt to sit or walk for long amounts of time .

My therapist said she has dealt with specifically men who had this problem. Word for word what I described.

As we spoke about life stuff I noticed the pain was extreme and I was getting lost in it, she cued me in on things I can talk about because I couldnt concentrate.

She hit a certain topic and I cried about it, she made me stay in the moment and told me to stop doing certain physical things like smile or hold my breath. I cried for a good 5 mins.

After the session she reiterated that I am a classic Tms patient still after all these years ( big surprise).

On my beautiful walk home walking in Central Park i began to notice things that would hurt before no longer hurt, the next day if those things hurt it wouldnt last as long.

This really is a breakthrough because it enhances not to fear and when I do feel pain I tell myself " you had three months of chronic Tms pain, it's okay that it's not going away as quickly or you cannot figure out what's causing it what's good is that you found this much relief".

This is amazing people I am so happy that I went back to therapy.

So I want to reiterate.

1. If you have everyday constant pain like I did see a tms therapist if you can, most likely they have seen people who had your pain problems and reassure you this is a mental condition process.

2. If they were sarno approved they can tell you about breakthroughs he was getting to before he retired but never published them.

3. When you get that emotion stay in it ( sort of like helens story) push it out of you and not deep in you.

4. Notice if you smile during a repressed event or chuckle a little bit.

5. Listen to Sarno, he's seen thousands of patients and knows the protocol you should follow .

I am not 100 percent better BUT I can function again and have motivation to work out and get on with life.

If you can afford to see a Tms specific therapist please do so at the minute your pains last longer than they should and you've been checked by a doctor . If I went three months ago I have a feeling it would have been a little easier but no sweat I am happy where I am right now after just this little bit.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/22/2013 : 14:46:26
Well, I can't say I did not expect this.

When my Tms groin pains were really bad I was looking up old posts of mine back when I had the chest/rib stuff. Just to prove that I got past.

I forgot my past Tms journey so well that I needed reassurance it was still plausible.

It seems its to good to be true but I know I got past it and forgot it very easily once it left.

I know this to will pass but its just surreal that I am indeed a tms personality type even given the clear cut indicators how my pains changed places completely within one night!

I rattled something in my head for the best but its just tedious.

[/quote]

Ice, it is no pleasure read, but I think Low's book can answer a lot of questions and finally break the habits of defeating words and thoughts that bring you back to another symptom. Or if you read it once, read it again and you will find wisdom on every page. TMS is an anxiety problem with a different name. (Also with the great contribution of explaining why most back pain is related to emotions).

Here is a quick look into Low's ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdSCvJwOzU

Your rib pain is distressing but not dangerous. Keep that in mind and leave the worry of it behind. If it were dangerous you would have long ago left this rock.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
[/quote]
Back2-It Posted - 07/22/2013 : 11:13:32

quote:
Originally posted by icelikeaninja

Guys this seems ridiculous but 4 months of chronic Tms groin pain has vanished only to be replaced with Tms pain I got over long ago in my ribs!

Both sides of them and sometimes one.

I guess iam just scared of this new symptom because I haven't felt it in years!

I can say after 4 months I am 100 percent free of the Tms groin issue. It's been now three days at this capacity.

When I healed originally the pain never went to a completely different place, it was always regional.

My healing I know is going forward but would like to hear from others because this type is new to me.

Thank you again for all your responses, especially with the anxiety.

Ice, it is no pleasure read, but I think Low's book can answer a lot of questions and finally break the habits of defeating words and thoughts that bring you back to another symptom. Or if you read it once, read it again and you will find wisdom on every page. TMS is an anxiety problem with a different name. (Also with the great contribution of explaining why most back pain is related to emotions).

Here is a quick look into Low's ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdSCvJwOzU

Your rib pain is distressing but not dangerous. Keep that in mind and leave the worry of it behind. If it were dangerous you would have long ago left this rock.

Ace1 Posted - 07/22/2013 : 11:00:10
Sounds great Ice keep up the good work and I think you are definitely on the right track in believing in yourself.
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/22/2013 : 10:30:55
Ace,

Thanks again. It seems my pain shifted along with reading that Steveos pain shifted in that chapter of his book.

I am very happy with my progress but still understand I am under a lot of stress currently.

As for the serious disorders I could see how this comes into play.

Therapy for me was needed just based off what sarno told me on my first visit. I don't put the cure in my therapist only the insight in which she gives me that I already know but need to hear it from an outsider .

I could see how some people go to a therapist for their cures. I place the faith in myself.
Ace1 Posted - 07/22/2013 : 09:43:34
Dont worry Ice, its just a shift because the psychological need is still there. I was hoping that your relief was going to be long lasting, but to be totally honest I was somewhat skeptical that this would happen because I tend to see that the person's psychological need can rarely be irradicated by a couple days of work. This may sound crazy, but thank God that your body didnt stop trying to communicate to you. I have noticed that the ones that try to shut their body up tend to eventually get diagnosed with more serious disorders. I really would suggest you take a look at those keys I wrote and try to incorporate them into your life along with the therapy you are currently in. I would have never gotten better had I not done it that way (whats on my keys, I didnt go to therapy except meet with Arlene a couple of times which did not really contribute to my healing in any significant way). Please let me know if you have any questions.
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/22/2013 : 09:29:13
Guys this seems ridiculous but 4 months of chronic Tms groin pain has vanished only to be replaced with Tms pain I got over long ago in my ribs!

Both sides of them and sometimes one.

I guess iam just scared of this new symptom because I haven't felt it in years!

I can say after 4 months I am 100 percent free of the Tms groin issue. It's been now three days at this capacity.

When I healed originally the pain never went to a completely different place, it was always regional.

My healing I know is going forward but would like to hear from others because this type is new to me.

Thank you again for all your responses, especially with the anxiety.

Ace1 Posted - 07/22/2013 : 09:05:05
Im not sure which email this is but it was the one he gave me personally. I suspect the only reason he answered me was bc Im a physican and he wants to keep us treating the whole TMS thing. It was a very short response. It would be good to hear what your therapist has to say on Friday.
RageSootheRatio Posted - 07/22/2013 : 06:01:04
Thanks, Back2-It, for the reminder about Hillbilly's "cure".
For anyone else looking for it, I believe Back2-It meant Hillbilly's post (in the Success Stories forum section):

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8511

RSR
Back2-It Posted - 07/22/2013 : 01:19:23
quote:

If OCD or anxiety with thoughts is Tms , how do you deal with it? It's psychological which is what we are suppose to think.

That's what I don't get

Ice, besides meditating on Ace1's Keys, I would suggest the mother of all anxiety books: "Mental Health Through Will Training", by Abraham Low. He is the DI of the anxiety and pain authors and gurus. This book, though written sixty years ago or better, just tells it to you plain and offers practical suggestions and methods to rid yourself of the whole lot of the mess. Some day, when the MindBody Hall of Fame is established, Low will be the first inductee of the modern era. Read this book and you will see the in it Weekes, Sarno, Hayes and Tolle and the entire slew of pain authors.

Another great source right here is to read carefully Hillbilly's "cure". It is an epic on conquering fear of fear and of taking responsibility for life and to make changes you have to make. I think it won a Nobel Prize for accuracy.

icelikeaninja Posted - 07/21/2013 : 21:25:34
I did not know he still corresponded with email . Still the NYU one?

I will ask for specifics when I see my therapist again (Friday).

She said he was on the verge of discovering something with alopecia and Tms shortly before he retired. I didn't ask for specifics but she seemed kind of bummed out that the study was not concluded.

Maybe a piece of the puzzles were coming together before he could accurately say it was Tms?

quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Just an update guys. I emailed dr Sarno about allopecia and he says he cannot recall treating this as TMS. That does not mean it is not but I just wanted to let you guys know.

Ace1 Posted - 07/21/2013 : 20:01:28
Just an update guys. I emailed dr Sarno about allopecia and he says he cannot recall treating this as TMS. That does not mean it is not but I just wanted to let you guys know.
gigalos Posted - 07/21/2013 : 13:44:23
quote:

I would rather run from a lion than deal with Tms and its many forms showing itself in the body and mind.

It's so tricky to keep your head level and right through this ordeal but once the idea of Tms really hits it hits invalidating most of your symptoms and in my case the last few days putting them somewhere else not even related to the original spot

Once you start to learn how to deal with TMS, I rather have TMS than run from a lion....

Great news that things are shifting, I see that as progress.. you got it on the run.
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/21/2013 : 10:56:22
I would rather run from a lion than deal with Tms and its many forms showing itself in the body and mind.

It's so tricky to keep your head level and right through this ordeal but once the idea of Tms really hits it hits invalidating most of your symptoms and in my case the last few days putting them somewhere else not even related to the original spot
gigalos Posted - 07/21/2013 : 02:38:43
quote:
Originally posted by DrewMartin

Great to hear you are doing better. My therapist used the same technique - whenever I laughed or chuckled or snorted while talking about an issue she locked onto it and made me really dig in. "What's so funny about that?" was a common refrain.
Now I notice when I am doing it and stop to think about it - it means you are using some technique to avoid difficult emotions and these can cause TMS if ignored in my case.

Thanx for this insight... I think we all once and a while laugh at something sad or terrible. I can better laugh about it than cry. Never thought about it as a defence mechanism.
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/20/2013 : 19:37:02
If OCD or anxiety with thoughts is Tms , how do you deal with it? It's psychological which is what we are suppose to think.

That's what I don't get
alangordon Posted - 07/20/2013 : 15:39:02
Obsessive thoughts are often just another manifestation of TMS. Just as the pain can serve as a vessel for preoccupation, so can obsessive thoughts, ruminating, etc. It can be helpful to see these thoughts as TMS, a way that your mind is trying to keep you preoccupied. This can make it easier not to buy into them. Mindfulness meditation is a good practice for letting thoughts go without getting pulled this way and that by them.
DrewMartin Posted - 07/20/2013 : 08:10:44
Great to hear you are doing better. My therapist used the same technique - whenever I laughed or chuckled or snorted while talking about an issue she locked onto it and made me really dig in. "What's so funny about that?" was a common refrain.
Now I notice when I am doing it and stop to think about it - it means you are using some technique to avoid difficult emotions and these can cause TMS if ignored in my case.
icelikeaninja Posted - 07/20/2013 : 07:39:51
Funny you say that. This morning I woke up with my old rib pains that I had not felt in years. Literally this symptom has not resurfaced in years.

Guess what the groin pain is gone as this new symptom came back.

As for the ex gf, that is exactly how I was, thinking about her and not me and how I would fit into her life.

I am sure she hasn't changed and getting back with her would as you say bring me more bad than good and I'd internalize a lot more.
Back2-It Posted - 07/20/2013 : 07:22:55
quote:

I have a question guys, everything has been great, i am gaining confidence and the Tms has died down considerably to the extent that I am so happy about this.

An issue that made me originally believe this was Tms was that when the pain left briefly I would have thoughts of my ex girlfriend and times I had with her.

Well it has been a year since I last saw her, the relationship didn't work because she was bad at making time for me and communicating with me then ultimately ignoring me and telling me she's just not into this like she should be- I let her walk and never looked back.

This took a huge emotional toll on me and this is what was happening before the pain. Now that I am living back on earth again I am thinking about her and dreaming about her.

The thoughts are intense and obsessive just like when people with Tms google symptoms go to many doctors etc.

How do I treat this? It's depression so do I say it doesn't exist or think about it some more? FYI I have very hard time of letting go especially with relationships.

Be very careful about trying to rekindle relationships that were not working in the first place, because this maybe was one of the causes of your tension, wanting it to work, and ruminating on it for a year.

When my initial pain had left me, before I knew about TMS, after I was feeling great, I decided to contact my old GF, for some of your same reasons. Well, nothing had changed on her part, so all the worry and tension and burying of my emotions were right there again. For about a month I worried and fretted on how I (notice I said "I") could make her happy, give her what she wanted in many different ways, and then one morning I woke up with a stiff shoulder and side. Coincidence? Thinking not. After that, it was a full blown panic, and, to make a long story short, during my entire panic, anxiety, running to doctors, etc., did she visit me or just sit with me, or spend time with me? No.

Sounds like they might be related. The past is the past for a reason. For awhile I thought I could compartmentalize the entire thing, and just live with what is, especially since some company as a distraction to the pain, even limited, was better than none, but all the effort was on my part and the same old emotions I felt for a good long time were buried again and my world closed in around me.

I also like you earlier post about your experience with a therapist who worked with Sano. One of the reasons I thought he was so successful was because he could tell you with authority that your problem was not related to any structural thing, in addition to finding out what was going in in your life. The problem, though many disagree, is that when you finally decide that your problem is psychogenic, you go to a "TMS" or "MindBody" doc, and they cannot explain why it is that you are hurting, or why it is that where you are hurting has nothing to do with an MRI image, then results are going to be less than successful. This is something a MB doc especially has to be able to do with authority to be successful. Knowledge is needed in different doses for different people, and the person with a typical TMS personality finds it hard to hear what I heard: "Oh, there is nothing seriously wrong with you." And me: "Why does it hurt there." Doc:"Oh, I don't know. We may never know". Well, a competent massage therapist knew, and not only did she know why it hurt "there", but also that the tight trapezoid muscles causing it were nothing special. This was after allopathic doctors had written me off and a TMS doc was quizzical about it. The therapists could not, of course, tell me, or want to offer medical advice.

So the lesson is: early intervention and suitable explanation will go a long way to effecting a cure, but the person must clean up the emotional problems causing the distress as well. When the MB practitioner ignores the "body" part of the equation, it is a big a deal as the allopathic doctors ignoring the mind's (brain's) cause for the pain.

Whew! wore myself out on that one.

icelikeaninja Posted - 07/19/2013 : 08:53:26
I have a question guys, everything has been great, i am gaining confidence and the Tms has died down considerably to the extent that I am so happy about this.

An issue that made me originally believe this was Tms was that when the pain left briefly I would have thoughts of my ex girlfriend and times I had with her.

Well it has been a year since I last saw her, the relationship didn't work because she was bad at making time for me and communicating with me then ultimately ignoring me and telling me she's just not into this like she should be- I let her walk and never looked back.

This took a huge emotional toll on me and this is what was happening before the pain. Now that I am living back on earth again I am thinking about her and dreaming about her.

The thoughts are intense and obsessive just like when people with Tms google symptoms go to many doctors etc.

How do I treat this? It's depression so do I say it doesn't exist or think about it some more? FYI I have very hard time of letting go especially with relationships.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000