TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Cries

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Racer Posted - 06/17/2013 : 07:51:48
In the past, I have seen crying increased the pain. Instead, when I started realizing the emotions with affirmations started to help.

Why letting out emotions through tears doesn't help, worsens instead of reducing?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RageSootheRatio Posted - 06/17/2013 : 12:02:42
Racer, I really agree w/ Ace. I do believe it is a very individual thing because there is no "one-size-fits-all" theory.

I do believe, as jaya points out, that crying IS a form of "stress" because "it does require a lot of bodily functions" AND expressing any strong feeling is "stressful" ... like expressing rage or anger, for example.

At the same time, that stress can ultimately be a GOOD type of stress, as Ace points out, if it ultimately gives a sense of relief. Then it is ultimately helpful.

I also believe that it is not a static thing ... in that SOMETIMES in one's experience, crying might be helpful, whereas the next day, it might NOT be helpful. Trying to STOP tears can also be stress-inducing, but as birdie points out, that might be LESS stressful than crying in front of a dad who is not-accepting of tears.

For me personally, I would say that crying has been helpful to me, generally speaking. AND, is also a natural part of a "flow of feelings" ... where expressing anger turns it into sadness, then into fear, etc... (so that one does not get "stuck" in a particular feeling state.)

-RSR
jaya Posted - 06/17/2013 : 10:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by Racer

In the past, I have seen crying increased the pain. Instead, when I started realizing the emotions with affirmations started to help.

Why letting out emotions through tears doesn't help, worsens instead of reducing?

notice....crying is a form of stress...lot of bodily functions go into making someone cry---
tennis tom Posted - 06/17/2013 : 09:37:35
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Well if the crying gives a sense of relief, then it helps. If the crying is associated with increased tension and or fear then it increases symptoms. This is partly why I don't agree with dr sarnos theory fully.

Hi Ace,

Just curious how long you "shadowed" or worked with Dr. Sarno at NYU Rusk?

Thanks,
tt
Ace1 Posted - 06/17/2013 : 08:41:48
Well if the crying gives a sense of relief, then it helps. If the crying is associated with increased tension and or fear then it increases symptoms. This is partly why I don't agree with dr sarnos theory fully.
Birdie78 Posted - 06/17/2013 : 08:16:28
Could have to do with many things. In my case crying made my father very upset so it was better not to cry. I also know males who were told that boys don't cry. I often get a strong headache when I cry because in former times the need to cry made me tense up everything to avoid it.

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000