TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 When did TMS become a religion?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Darko Posted - 06/02/2013 : 17:17:01
Peeps,
as someone who has posted on and off for years now I get frustrated with this forum.

Firstly these are my observations and you can say or think what you want, I don't care. I always stay away from the silly stuff on this site but it's starting to have a negative impact I believe.

TT and others....might serve you better if you chillout a bit mate. TMS is different for everyone and you have to let people have their journey.....even if you think it's wrong. Try and contribute by example, which builds credibility. You can be right or you can be happy, I don't see what the point of the hostility is......

I happen to very much agree with HillBilly and have always appreciated his posts. For me tension was to key to my TMS pain. Once I got this I was able to become pain free. When my tension goes up then so does my pain. Does that mean Sarno was wrong....Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he figured out something, and missed a little part, who knows and really, who gives a toss??!!

I think it's important we focus on the results and not on the "Dogma" I got results by following what HB, Monte and Scott Brady talked about. Interestingly Scott called it "Autonomic Overload Syndrome" and this is/was a Sarno TMS guy.

Page 8 of " pain free for life "

"AOS is a group of chronic pains and other symptoms caused by harmful levels of stress, pressure, and repressed strong negative emotions that have been built up in the subconscious mind"

I have another equation for it.

Negative thinking = negative thoughts you can't and don't want to experience = TMS pain.

That my friends is what healed me.....and a few others from what I see. Did Sarno originally heal me??? YES.....BUT IT WAS TEMPORARY!!!!! I tried the same stuff for years with no luck.

The really sad thing is......the people that are healed and know how to get pain free get sh*t on because they bring an approach that is somewhat different.

Eg...I think diet is important. How can you become painfree when you have a crap diet and a low on energy.....do you think this supports healthy, happy and positive thinking???.......I don't think so.

But the moment I mention it, I get dismissed......despite the fact I know how to get pain free......I find this laughable. We need people on this forum like HB but he doesn't want to stick around cause of the crap......I can relate.

Remember what mummy said kids....If you can't play nicely then you shouldn't play at all.

Just the observation of someone that doesn't post much anymore.

Good luck
D
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 06/17/2013 : 16:56:04
If you think I'm going to argue with people who've seen half the shrinks in the LA County phone book and buy ink by the barrel you're crazy!

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8D7w0IUIPU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod =================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
bryan3000 Posted - 06/17/2013 : 15:04:22
quote:
[i]

The ironic thing is that repressed rage and distraction theory are much more psychobabble-ish than simply counseling people to calm down.

Ha ha!

Amen, Art.
jaya Posted - 06/17/2013 : 10:59:12
as always darko...you are dead on...
tennis tom Posted - 06/15/2013 : 08:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by art

quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Sorry, I'm not fluent in psychobabble.

The ironic thing is that repressed rage and distraction theory are much more psychobabble-ish than simply counseling people to calm down.

No, here's the definition of PSYCHOBABBLE, there's even been a book written about it, after review I may contact the author and invite him here to give some lessons: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/psychobabble

Dr. Sarno's theory is founded on well established and accepted psychological fundamentals.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

tennis tom Posted - 06/15/2013 : 08:26:39
quote:
Originally posted by art

quote:

OK, I'll try that:

"My back is killing me, the MRI's showed I have a burst disc, the doc says I'm bone on bone, I'm going in for fusion surgery Monday."

"Aw, there's NOTHING wrong with your back, you just need to simmer down, and you'll be alright. Talk to your wife about it."

"My wife, MY WIFE!--what does MY WIFE have to do with this? I'd divorce her if I could, but she'd take me to the cleaners."

"Just calm down now, your pain is caused by your head but is very real."

"Oh, I've heard of that crazy doctor who says it's all in my head, do I look like I'm CRAZY?"

"Now calm down now, doctor's don't know everything."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN CALM DOWN!!! I AM CALM!!! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M CALM!!!

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
dgreen97 Posted - 06/15/2013 : 07:40:30
lol
art Posted - 06/15/2013 : 06:34:44
quote:

tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 11:26:49

art Posted - 06/14/2013 : 10:41:51
Yes, TT, but that's not what Bryan said...His words were:

"Some may also prefer to paint themselves into a "TMS" corner, believing they need to "uncork their rage" to heal, "

My sense is that Bryan understands what's required to get better as well as anyone...He was only saying that some *believe* this to be the case...

And in fact plenty do. It's a common misconception, and it holds people back.
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 08:25:17
quote:

Some may also prefer to paint themselves into a "TMS" corner, believing they need to "uncork their rage" to heal, so for those it may not be for them.... at least until they are ready to address the fear of symptoms.

For the record this is NOT a requirement to "heal" from TMS, and Dr. Sarno states so in ALL of his books. It's only necessary to understand his theory:

"Dr. John Sarno theorizes that TMS is a defensive reaction of the mind to prevent expression of repressed rage and anxiety and that the pain is created when blood flow to the tissues is restricted by the autonomic nervous system."

For the vast majority of TMS sufferers there is no need to dig into the past, only a small percentage of people need psychotherapy. Please read and understand the theory before making incorrect statements. The vast majority of people who come to this site have a physical symptom, get the theory and move on their happy way with the powerful TMS tool in their mindbody medicine cabinet. Those who don't usually have not understood the Good Doctor's theory, and rather then writing their own book continually nit-pick a very simple but powerful message for whatever their personal agenda or reason is. I would recommend reading Dr. Sarno's latest books, which have his most revised thoughts. Many of the nit-picks here are replied to in his later works, theories evolve and change like people can.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod =================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
bryan3000 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 00:06:00
Dgreen,

Many of us are or have been members. It's far and away the best resource in the world or those who suffer from stress disorder. IMO. It's a veritable database of information gathered by real sufferers who overcame their symptoms. I searched out dozens of other sites before landing there and once I did, realized they were in another class as far as what they were offering. So, many of us back your endorsement.
It is certainly more behavioral in nature so some may balk at that. Some may also prefer to paint themselves into a "TMS" corner, believing they need to "uncork their rage" to heal, so for those it may not be for them.... at least until they are ready to address the fear of symptoms.
dgreen97 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 19:38:24
in fact this is a FAQ question on anxietycentre.com

"Has anyone at anxietycentre.com ever read any of Dr. John E. Sarno's books regarding his theory on the Tension Myositis Syndrome? I feel that there are many similarities to your treatment methods."

I dont know if its legal to post the answer to this question word for word but I'll just paraphrase.. Jim Folk the guy who runs this site says hes in agreement with Sarno's theory and that reduction of stress and anxiety will eventually eliminate back problems. He even mentions that Sarno recommends similar stress reduction methods to what he has on the site.

Yes this is a paid membership site its like $34.00 bucks a year or something but its worth every penny. Initially I was a little apprehensive like why the hell am I paying for this but in the end its the best site anywhere for anxiety disorder. I think he charges for it because they're always updating the info. There is so much information, every bit of it is good. They have a FAQ that you can ask questions on and they're really active on it. The forum sucks but all of the other info is good. Reading the info on that site could be a great complement to what you're already doing.

Theres also a chapter called "underlying factors", which in TMS lingo would be something like past emotional trauma, etc.

No this isn't a big advertisement for their site I just thought it might help you guys.

dgreen97 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 19:31:03
yeah i would have to agree. for a long time i thought TMS was different than anxiety and then I did some research on anxiety and found them to be pretty much exactly the same, treated the same way, etc.

I was diagnosed with anxiety/OCD a long time ago and having this relation between TMS/anxiety helped me more than thinking they were different from eachother. That's kind of what I mentioned in another post a couple days ago. People keep calling the same thing different names and its confusing the hell out of everyone.

People think if they treat their anxiety they're not treating TMS and vice versa. And then if somebody reads Brady's book first they might think AOS is different than TMS. I don't get the reasoning behind naming it differently. I believe some people, like Sarno, found out about this on their own and named it themselves to describe what they found. Then you have other authors who just took his stuff, named it something else, and made a book. Then you have others who came before Sarno who called it nervous illness or just anxiety.

I still think it would greatly benefit people if they understood that they're all the same thing. It takes a lot of reading about mind body issues to understand that everyone is describing fear but in different ways.. you start seeing it in the writing that "oh hey, this sounds just like TMS.. i wonder if they're similar."
dgreen97 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 19:25:31
where did the term "the good doctor" come from? i keep hearing this over and over
tennis tom Posted - 06/13/2013 : 17:12:03
TMSHelp.com

TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome*):
Pain that can be severe and debilitating in the muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves of the lower back, buttocks, legs and sometimes neck, shoulders and other parts of the body. Dr. John Sarno theorizes that TMS is a defensive reaction of the mind to prevent expression of repressed rage and anxiety and that the pain is created when blood flow to the tissues is restricted by the autonomic nervous system.

*Also known as Tension Myoneural Syndrome or more recently, The Mindbody Syndrome.

"The most important factor in recovery is that the person must be made aware of
what is going on...information...is the 'penicillin' for this disorder."

------ Healing Back Pain by John E. Sarno, M.D.
balto Posted - 06/13/2013 : 14:54:07
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It

Recognizing the fear of the fear was the most important thin in finally returning my body body to homeostasis.

And that's all there is to it.
If we can kill our fear, we will get rid of the "disease", all what's left is just conditioning.
Very very simple concept but oh man! it is so hard to convince people to believe it or even try it.

beautiful writing B2I, thanks.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
art Posted - 06/13/2013 : 14:32:46
Back2it,

That was all very nicely expressed. Thank you. In practice, whether one wants to add a little psycho-dynamic spin to things or not (distraction from repressed anger),is not that important. You put it all so clearly and succinctly, I'm not going to try to say it all again as I wouldn't do it as well...
bryan3000 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 14:08:11
quote:
Originally posted by Back2-It

I took away from Sarno and his books that a spine with "gray hairs" is not debilitating. No other anxiety/stress book covered that. When you are staring at an MRI that has a nice bulge in it, it is scary. It cripples. Typical anxiety and CBT books and teaching do not deal with this.

I took away from Sarno also that you had to overcome the fear of benign pain. How that process worked was not elaborated, so it took further investigation. This was essential knowledge for me. I did not care about lack of oxygen to muscles, deep emotional trauma or if the pain was distraction. It all pointed to stress read between the lines of HBP and MBP.

I viewed Sarno's work as very basic behavior modification of sorts, with a heavy dose on explaining back issues and back problems, which are the number one chronic pain thing going in the Western world.

Recognizing the fear of the fear was the most important thin in finally returning my body body to homeostasis.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Exactly, Back2it. Sarno widened the understanding of what stress/anxiety can do to the body. This is where I agree he was helpful beyond some of the early mind/body-anxiety experts. He taught us that a sore back is no different than a panic attack.... despite years of misinformed physicians telling us differently in so many cases.

So for me, if it helps people to give their anxiety a three-letter acronym to heal... so be it.
Anxiety manifests in a huge variety of symptoms. I believe hillbilly posted the list here one time, but muscle tension, pain, stomach disorders and a host of others top the list.

The bottom line is, you can give it a 3 letter acronym... the work is still the same to get over anxiety/stress-caused illness.

tennis tom Posted - 06/12/2013 : 17:13:19
In response to the question about a paucity of evidence for "physical" TMS symptoms and the assertion that almost all TMS exhibits as anxiety alone, I did a brief un-scientific, survey of the first ten threads here and found mention of the following symptoms:

RSI
BACK (4)
SHOULDER
EYES
HANDS (2)
FOREARMS-RSI
THROAT
SCIATICA
HERNIATED/RUPTURED DISC
INSOMNIA
ILLNESS
PAIN
MID-BACK
CHEST COLD
ALLERGIES
ASTHMA
GERD
LOWER BACK
GROIN
KNEE
TINNITUS
NECK
HIP

You'll can decide if they are physical manifestations of the underlying TMS tension.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

P.S., I hope Shawn doesn't get too upset with me mentioning symptoms, the underlying emotional situations are listed in the Rahe-Holmes list below.

Back2-It Posted - 06/12/2013 : 13:58:15
I took away from Sarno and his books that a spine with "gray hairs" is not debilitating. No other anxiety/stress book covered that. When you are staring at an MRI that has a nice bulge in it, it is scary. It cripples. Typical anxiety and CBT books and teaching do not deal with this.

I took away from Sarno also that you had to overcome the fear of benign pain. How that process worked was not elaborated, so it took further investigation. This was essential knowledge for me. I did not care about lack of oxygen to muscles, deep emotional trauma or if the pain was distraction. It all pointed to stress read between the lines of HBP and MBP.

I viewed Sarno's work as very basic behavior modification of sorts, with a heavy dose on explaining back issues and back problems, which are the number one chronic pain thing going in the Western world.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000