TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TCM according to TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Birdie78 Posted - 08/13/2012 : 13:53:46
Hi,

I found some interessting analogies between the concept of traditional chinese medicine (beeing holistic) and TMS!

Once I saw my TCM-doctor she told me, watching my tongue and feeling my pulse, I have a so called "liver blood defiency".

In TCM each organ is connected to a special emotion. The emotion of the liver is anger. Supressed anger can attack the liver. And, who wonders, an "injured" liver causes numbness of the limbs, muscular weakness, muscle spasms, and cramps and dry eyes (suffering from drye eyes since adolescence!). TCM-doc told me I have to deal with my anger.

A friend of mine has permanent trouble with her bladder. Always if she's in a frightening situation her bladder makes problems. Bladder and kidneys, in the TCM, were attacked by anxiety and fear.

I find this very interesting and helpful, too. So the organ/part of the body beeing affected by TMS can give us a sign, wich kind of repressed emotion could be the reason for the pain/problem. What do you think about?

Wishes,
Birdie

This approach is very different from western medicine as TCM doesn't seperate between mind and body, it's seen as a unit.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jilly Posted - 12/15/2012 : 11:22:12
quote:
Originally posted by SteveO

Interesting birdlady of alcatraz,

The ancients knew that anger was the thing that caused all of our problems. The bigger question is, why the anger?

If you're liver is angry should you pour alcohol over it to cool it down?

I read tons of material on eastern healing and they all said that fear was held in the kidneys. I wonder where laughter resides? My guess is, in the moment.

Steff

I think all of our emotions carry an electrical charge as they travel through the nervous system and deposit and terminate in the body of flesh and bones. I think DNA is the interface between the physical world and the emotional,internal or perhaps spiritual world. I think laughter resides in the soul as a pure emotion of joy with a very high frequency of energy.

I think fear and anger are very close to the same energy / vibration with fear being the lower vibration of the two. Anger is a way to deal with repressed fear. Would you rather be afraid or empowered with anger & rage ?

I love this quote " Staying angry at someone is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die " So, as this TMS is teaching me...allow my many emotions, good and bad alike. No need to hide or repress them...just feel them and let them flow in me, through me, and to me like the tides. I can't help but to remember, " I am the vessel, as life happens through me, not to me".
balto Posted - 12/14/2012 : 19:36:10
I do agreed with you guys. It is just that I did witness so many healings (complete and long term healings) with acupuncture in my country that it is harder for me to dismiss it as hoax or placebo. Maybe the patient's belief there is just to strong, they overcame their illness just by believing in their healers.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
tennis tom Posted - 12/13/2012 : 18:02:16
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

...I think there is a "hipness" or "coolness" or anti-establishment factor that is part of the appeal of TCM and perhaps other alternative modalities. I would bet, for example, that there is much more demand for acupuncture etc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts than in Columbia, Missouri.

I would agree with you on that and there's probably a lot more neuroses, discretionary income and free time in Cambridge, Mass. too. There's probably more yoga in Southern Marin then in India.
Peregrinus Posted - 12/13/2012 : 17:19:09
As you know the principal belligerents in the Korean War were China and the US. During that war it was estimated that Chinese troops suffered one million casualties and that about half resulted in death. Their wounded were treated with herbs, acupuncture, poultices, and the thoughts of Mao. The last two years of the war were pretty much a stalemate although Chinese casualties continued to grow primarily due to disease. The death rate was so high that a daring mission was launched to bring back some sick Chinese to find out what they were dying from. This mission was led by legendary Capt. Eugene Clark. It turned out the Chinese practiced abysmal hygiene and were killing themselves. To save face they claimed the US was using germ warfare and tortured confessions out of hundreds of captured servicemen to substantiate these claims. To this day they stand by those ridiculous accusations but however are moving away from their failed medical practices. So much for “TCM”.
pspa123 Posted - 12/13/2012 : 16:39:23
I have to be careful to say this right, because I mean it completely without any cultural or racial overtones, but I think there is a "hipness" or "coolness" or anti-establishment factor that is part of the appeal of TCM and perhaps other alternative modalities. I would bet, for example, that there is much more demand for acupuncture etc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts than in Columbia, Missouri.
tennis tom Posted - 12/13/2012 : 13:55:11
quote:
Originally posted by balto

...During the VN war I saw soldier wounded in the battle field were operated on without any anesthesia, just acupuncture to relieve the pain.

...Also, supposedly, accupuncture required many sections daily to obtain long lasting effect.

Dr. Sarno alludes to this phenomenon also regarding a study done about soldiers and minimal or no morphine required to ease their pain. It was due to the placebo effect of their stress being relieved from being removed from the battlefield.

I had several hundred acupuncture sessions done by someone who had extensive training in a "recognized" school and had his own clinic. I had no beneficial effects except for relaxation--you might say I'm a slow study.

I recall after President Nixon went to China and a wealth of exports came to the US from there. Acupuncture was one of them and people like Bill Moyers on PBS extolled the virtues of it. My view on it now is it was all hype. If it were such a great anesthetic for surgery, how come after decades it has not been demonstrated here? It certainly would be much cheaper then current surgical anesthesia. My guess is it's placebo and if they had the means to use Western anesthesia in China they would do so. Would you really want to undergo surgery or even the filling of a tooth cavity using acupuncture?--No thanks.
pspa123 Posted - 12/13/2012 : 12:20:27
In terms of not doing anything for me, there was no difference between American practitioners and Chinese practitioners who had medical degrees from leading Chinese institutions and obviously were considered the top at their craft. I think a lot it may have to do with expectation -- but this is true of Western medicine and drugs too. The placebo rates in psych med trials are really astonishing -- 30 to 50 percent of people feel markedly better on a sugar pill.
balto Posted - 12/13/2012 : 10:09:09
quote:
Originally posted by chickenbone

I have to say that I tried acupuncture several times and it not only
did not help me, but I really thought it was torture. Of course, the so called Acupuncturists I had were not real, probably had 2 week crash courses. It really turned me off of the whole Chinese medicine thing.

I wouldn't trust my body with anyone that have only a 2 weeks training. It takes about 3,4 years of training to get a degree in the US (http://www.ccaom.org/faqs.asp#7 ), It take about 6 years of training in some college in China and Japan. Accupuncture practitioners in the West are a dime a dozen. They are worthless and only bring bad name to that practice.

I'm still undecided about the effectiveness of acupuncture. I saw it failed to help many time. I also saw it helped many time too. During the VN war I saw soldier wounded in the battle field were operated on without any anesthesia, just acupuncture to relieve the pain. I've saw it cure many other illness that I find hard to explain with placebo.
Well, we all think different, we all believe different. Pick and choose what you think is best for you.

Also, supposedly, accupuncture required many sections daily to obtain long lasting effect. A couple section here and there is worthless. Just my thought.

------------------------
chickenbone Posted - 12/12/2012 : 17:55:30
I have to say that I tried acupuncture several times and it not only
did not help me, but I really thought it was torture. Of course, the so called Acupuncturists I had were not real, probably had 2 week crash courses. It really turned me off of the whole Chinese medicine thing.
tennis tom Posted - 12/12/2012 : 09:57:24
quote:

...It can be really frustrating being a patient nowadays, is there any truth out there at all, or is it all subjective?

Follow the money!
pspa123 Posted - 12/12/2012 : 09:49:44
Just reading the comments to the Forbes article that Tom posted, it is so reminiscent of back and forth discussions I have read on homeopathy and chiropractic, where people with equal fervor champion it and declare it quackery. Of course both sides will cite studies that support their perspective, find fundamental flaws with the other side's studies, and so forth. The discussions typically degenerate into ad hominem attacks and conspiracy theories. It can be really frustrating being a patient nowadays, is there any truth out there at all, or is it all subjective?
shawnsmith Posted - 12/12/2012 : 08:10:06
I tried acupuncture twice for a so called frozen shoulder. Tom calls in quackery, I call it 100% pure bull****.
tennis tom Posted - 12/12/2012 : 08:02:28
Here's another article about acupuncture quackery:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2011/12/30/the-worst-quackery-of-2011-battlefield-acupuncture/
pspa123 Posted - 12/12/2012 : 06:08:14
Tom, my experience was similar to yours though not as extensive. I kept thinking maybe I just hadn't found the right acupuncturist yet, so I kept trying. I saw at least five for multiple treatments, a couple of whom had medical degrees from leading institutions in China, and all of whom had numerous testimonials to their skill. I can honestly say that I did not notice any difference in my pain level or anything else. With the last several I started paying close attention to their approach and there definitely were major differences in terms of number of needles used, location, duration, etc. I had very low expectations so maybe that was a part of it, but that may say something too.
tennis tom Posted - 12/11/2012 : 19:39:42
Well, I just lost a long post on my personal experiences with having about 200 accupuncture sessions--damn miniature keyboard on my 9" netbook that I use when I travel. Bottom line, save your money and get a massage instead. I didn't write anything about accu that I have't said here before. So, if you're really interested about the topic here, do a "search" using the button above.

Here's a link about accupuncture licensing practices, or lack of, in California :

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/california-acupuncture-board-a-mockery-of-consumer-protection/

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
balto Posted - 12/11/2012 : 18:18:24
quote:

For what it's worth, at p 142 of SteveO's book, he lists acupuncture as something that works by placebo effect.

Most of the time Western medicine consider placebo effect is a bad thing. Pharmaceutical industry considered it a failure if the effect of their medicine turn out to be not any better than placebo. Doctors always try to make sure their patient's healing is not due to placebo, they want to achieve "real" healing.

In the East, atleast in the old day (they are pretty westernized now too), medicine men tried to harness the effect of placebo. They tried to intensified and prolong the placebo effect for as long as they can until the patient's health is improved enough to regain their confidence in their body and mind to heal on their own. That is why they usually spend longer time with their patient. They talk more and asked more and try to gain the patient's trust. They tried to change the patient's belief from one of desperate to one of hopeful and confidence. Somehow it worked for thousand of years. It is more important how good the relationship between healer and patient than that of the medicine's effect.

------------------------
pspa123 Posted - 12/08/2012 : 15:19:56
For what it's worth, at p 142 of SteveO's book, he lists acupuncture as something that works by placebo effect.
Birdie78 Posted - 12/08/2012 : 11:30:15
I also think that most TCM practitioners in the West are not completely well trained

I think so, too!
Acupuncture often was very helpful for me (not to say the only thing that ever helped because pain killers never did), but I also noticed some differences between the practitioners. And: for me it's always only a short-term-relief.
I also find the herbs to be a great support and I prefer to take herbs than Western pharmaceuticals which had very evel side effects. But - for me - it's a support and I feel there's a lot of work for me to do! Of course acupuncture and herbs can help me to improve my sleeping patterns for example and also do alleviate some of my pain. But: they can't change my thinking patterns and the way I catastrophisize and react to stress, I've to do that on my own. I think that's the reason why I only experience some short-time-effects: acupuncture can "normalize" the chi in the meridians but repressing emotions and thinking negative will probably lead to "stagnation" of the chi again.

And concerning the placebo effect: of course there will be people who will be healed only by the placebo effect because they believe in acupuncture. It's the same effect as in Western medicine: some people will be healed because they believe in the knowledge of the surgeon.

For my part I absolutely believe in the existence of this life energy called chi or prana or what ever.
But I also believe that long-term-healing is more supposable when you are willing to understand what's really going on and to act actively and not only receive a passive treatment (the doctor will make my healing happen). Of course for some people this will work, too. For me it never did (and I really saw a lot of experts and health practinioners).

If I access help it'll be the help of some eastern practitioners because they can support me in treating the roots of my problems and not only the symptoms (I don't want to say that Western medicine is all bad but concerning the theory of chronic pain...no comment)

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
balto Posted - 12/08/2012 : 08:39:23
I came from the East and was expose to traditional Asian Medicine for a long time. I witness with my own eyes it's effectiveness at the hands of skill doctors in treating many illness while living there, but since I also live a long time in the West so my thinking is kind of "Americanize" and it created some doubt in my mind.

I affraid to share my experience with it here for fear someone will say it is "nonsense" or "really!!"

I also think that most TCM practitioners in the West are not completely well trained. Achieving the title of doctor of tmc in China would require years of training and practice, sometime longer than it take to be a doctor in the West. And many well known tmc doctors in Asia sometimes keep their knowledge "secret", they only teach it to a selected few students or family members.

There is a very well known Vietnamese tcm practitioner who never charge a dime for any treatment he provided. He uses only accupressure and herbs and were able to help many stroke victim regained their mobility, help deaf people regain their hearing, and treat many other illness. He traveled from temple to temple to provide free medical care for poor people. The Vienamese government once put him in prison because he practice medical care without a license. But they eventually let him return to practice after he healed a few high ranking government officers of illness. :)

He has a waiting list of patients that would last a few years. He is currently also try to teach many student to help with his charity work. The government tried to investigate him for fraud but couldn't find any. Many "real" doctors tried to find reason to dismiss him a a hoax but they have not find any yet.

Here is a youtube documentary about him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HoN8of-LE , sorry it is in Vienamese. It's just something to entertain you guys, not trying to convince you that tcm will work. I myself tried to get on his waiting list years ago but couldn't. :)

------------------------
MatthewNJ Posted - 12/08/2012 : 07:31:34
My gf is a western trained RN, now training for Chinese medicine and what Birdie shares is accurate. The Ayurvedic practitioners will tell you the same (see Deepak Chopra's web site). It is western medicine that split body out of mind/body/spirit. The Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic folks have been at this 5000 years. It was Sarno's belief (and I wish I could find the quote) that Rene Descartes work in the 1600's shifted medicine to a very mechanical, body approached "science". As we integrate what has been learned in the last 500 years WITH that what has been known for 5000 years, we will get healthy and STAY healthy because we will treat the whole being, not just the symptom.

Matthew
Ferretsx3@comcast.net
--------------------
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000