TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Okay, probably new TMS site in foot

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dwinsor52 Posted - 03/23/2007 : 16:35:35
I have been pain free for 3 years. A few weeks ago, I stood up when my foot was asleep and when I tried to walk my foot was way bent from the toes to the middle of the foot. It was a very big OWWWWWW and then part of the foot turned purple. The bruise went away and there was no swelling. My foot has hurt a bit for the last few weeks, but the last few days it REALLY hurts. So in my fear-based thinking, I am wondering if I broke something, or tore something. Is there something I should do? I really don't want to go get an xray because I think it is TMS, it doesn't look hurt, and I don't want to feed the fear. I should ALSO say that there are some good reasons right now for TMS to find a weak spot and try to distract me from some painful feelings. Also, I am going skiing next weekend and might have fear about the ski boot.
Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dwinsor52 Posted - 03/31/2007 : 13:53:53
My foot pain turned into full TMS mode after no pain for several years. I am having fear! Specically about the fact that I went back on antidepressants for anxiety about 2 months ago. Well, when I first went on this same antidepressant a few years ago, I had increased pain for about 3 months and then it went away. So even though it went away for A FULL YEAR while I was on the antidepressant, now all I can do is read the parts of Sarno's books that talk about how, for some people, their pain returns when emotional symptoms subside. So what I need reassurance about is that it is okay to take the antidepressant and probably other factors are causing the pain - specifically the foot pain as a trigger. Help!
shawnsmith Posted - 03/26/2007 : 18:27:44
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity18

Not only does the symptom imperative apply to me, but also, (as I hate to admit) major suggestibility.

Suggestibility is quite powerful, and somehow I think the medical establishment realizes this. All these pain ailments and their supposed remedies are broadcast all over the place and we are subconsciously taking this all in. I find myself having to actually utter the words "bull-sh---t" just to ward of the impact of suggestibility of these ads for fear I will get sucked into them.

Sarno-ize it!
Curiosity18 Posted - 03/26/2007 : 18:04:01
I've also had the same experience. Not long after I got rid of the restless leg issue, my foot flared up at the site of an old injury. At the same time I was helping to care for a friend who was recovering from extensive foot surgery. Not only does the symptom imperative apply to me, but also, (as I hate to admit) major suggestibility. One would hope that as a psychotherapist, I would be more mindful of this process as it is happening. But no! After I discussed my foot problem with a TMS physician, he proclaimed it as a case of "symptom imperative", and it promptly disappeared. I hope you have a great ski trip!

Curiosity
dwinsor52 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 06:20:53
I know what you mean. I was just reading in the Divided Mind about how a physical incident can serve as a trigger for the psychosomatic process. So I was able to see what is going on. I bent my foot, it hurt, it was better, but it served as a new trigger at a time that I am having some emotional distress. Therefore, I don't have to think about what I am angry about - I just worry about the foot! The brain is SO amazing. It's almost like a separate being with a secret plan to get one confused!
shawnsmith Posted - 03/23/2007 : 16:56:17
Yup, the symptom imperative which Sr. Sarno talked about. I am feeling better now and presto, the toothache starts. And suprise, suprise, it is the one I had a root canal on three years ago! It is almost laughable if it did not hurt so much.

Sarno-ize it!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000