TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Modest success story

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeff Posted - 11/24/2006 : 12:27:40
At the risk of jinxing myself, I wanted to let everyone know that I have experienced a significant reduction in pain symptoms since accepting my TMS diagnosis.

I won't recount my entire story, except to say that since mid-summer I have experienced significant pain in my ankles, lower legs and thighs (both muscle pain and burning). In September I discovered the Sarno and Brady books, and I began to focus on treating myself as a TMS victim, including journalling, pain talk, and the like. I am in DC, so I also visited with Dr. Segal (what a nice lady).

For several weeks my pain symptoms seemed to be quite volatile, and I even got lower back pain for a week (go figure). Then I got sick with the flu -- I haven't been that sick in years -- followed by a cought that would not let up.

As my symptoms vacillated, I began to realize that they were due to issues I was having with work, in particular the enormous stress, tension and yes anger that I experience at work on a daily basis.

Earlier this month my wife and I went on a short vacation, and my symptoms completely disappeared during that time. I returned home and resumed work, and the symptoms stayed away. Then I was hit with a massive, anxiety-inducing project at work, which involved all sorts of mistakes and errors, and my ankle pain came back. At that point, I could only laugh at it -- it was obviously TMS and nothing else. Since then the ankle pain has subsided (although it has not gone away entirely at this point).

In any event, I have now reached the point where I totally accept that these symptoms are simply my brain's way of dealing with work-induced stress. My pain is much less than it was, and I have more confidence than ever before that I can deal with any new pain symptoms that might emerge.

I don't think I am out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination, and I accept that my pain symptoms may well come back depending on how things go at work. But I have a different mindset than at any time during the past 18 months, and I feel like I have a way of understanding what is happening to me so that I do not panic every time I start experiencing pain.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikeJ Posted - 11/25/2006 : 14:05:34
Hey Jeff! That's great news - it's good to know you're laughing about it. That's a great way to neutralize and diminish it!
HilaryN Posted - 11/25/2006 : 10:41:09
That's really good to hear, Jeff. It sounds like you've reached an important goalpost. It's all downhill from here.

Hilary N
Redsandro Posted - 11/24/2006 : 14:03:09
Congratulations on your victory and insights!

If you're not doing this already, you might want to mark the best days and write about your victories. I am experiencing some relief during flareups when I read back my older successes.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000